Author Topic: Bill Delaney: Vote No on Amendment. 1, FL's Solar Sham  (Read 3906 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Bill Delaney: Vote No on Amendment. 1, FL's Solar Sham
« on: October 27, 2016, 03:00:03 AM »

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: Bill Delaney: Vote No on Amendment. 1, FL's Solar Sham
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 04:21:55 AM »
Well done. This is a story that needs to be repeated and shared.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

vicupstate

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 07:53:21 AM »
What is the procedure for putting for putting an Amendemnt up for vote?  Legislature? Petitons, Either?  What method was used in this case?
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

MusicMan

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 08:59:54 AM »
Well, I did start a parallel thread on this very same website. Glad to see some traction on this.

VOTE NO ON AMENDMENT ONE!!

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 11:13:56 AM »
What is the procedure for putting for putting an Amendemnt up for vote?  Legislature? Petitons, Either?  What method was used in this case?

I believe it was petitions - to do that you need to get a number of signatures equivalent to 8% of the voters from the last election. The wording also gets vetted by the court, who somehow gave this one a pass.

What's sad about this is that Amendment 1 was polling at 66% as of the last polls in September, and internal polls were evidently as high as 70% according to Sal Nuzzo. People really need to come out against this thing or we're going to be stuck with it.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

mbwright

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 11:30:05 AM »
another misleading amendment.  The judges never should have approved the language on this one, but they seem to let anything pass these days.  You might as well call and an amendment  my dog has fleas, when it relates to gun control of something else totally unrelated. 

finehoe

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 11:41:46 AM »
Here's another statement from Sal Nuzzo:

On October 18, 2016, an audio tape containing a speech delivered by Sal Nuzzo, vice president of the Florida-based policy think tank called the James Madison Institute (JMI), at the October 2 State Energy/Environment Leadership Summit was leaked. Nuzzo discussed how the Amendment 1 support group, Consumers for Smart Solar, asked JMI to help prepare for the amendment campaign and indicated that the measure was designed to appeal to pro-solar voters while it's purpose was to “completely negate anything they (pro-solar interests) would try to do either legislatively or constitutionally down the road.” He referred to the group’s move of qualifying Amendment 1 for the ballot as a “savvy maneuver,” saying that the group could use “political jiu-jitsu” to harness the popularity of solar in their favor. Nuzzo then described the initiative as an intelligent strategy to combine pro-solar language with consumer protections that could be used to block the efforts of solar advocates to provide incentives for solar expansion.

https://soundcloud.com/cmd-sourcewatch/an-incredibly-savvy-maneuver

Live_Oak

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 11:50:54 AM »
In addition to voting No on Amendment 1, consider voting No on retaining the 3 supreme court justices on the ballot. All three approved this amendment's language.

However, if they are voted out, Rick Scott gets to appoint a replacement. That could be worse.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 12:04:35 PM »

I believe it was petitions - to do that you need to get a number of signatures equivalent to 8% of the voters from the last election. The wording also gets vetted by the court, who somehow gave this one a pass.

What's sad about this is that Amendment 1 was polling at 66% as of the last polls in September, and internal polls were evidently as high as 70% according to Sal Nuzzo. People really need to come out against this thing or we're going to be stuck with it.

I cannot find the reference but I believe yes votes on referendums or amendments wins more often than No regardless of the topic.  People who are unfamiliar with a topic are more likely to vote yes than no...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

spuwho

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 12:13:11 PM »
The radio advertising is just as bad.

"Vote Amendment 1, vote for solar, vote to remove subsidies, take decisions away from politicians".

Talk about a total sandbag. Where is Elon Musk?  I would think his companies would be all over this.

bencrix

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 05:39:02 PM »
Where is Elon Musk?  I would think his companies would be all over this.]Where is Elon Musk?  I would think his companies would be all over this.

SolarCity (Elon Musk's company) is busy in the 40+ states where their business model is not already illegal. Amendment 1 would make the laws that already make their business model illegal in Florida part of the state's constitution. Florida is not open for businesses like his.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 05:41:18 PM by bencrix »

bencrix

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 08:58:58 AM »
The FT-U advised its readers to vote no on Amendement 1 yesterday:

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/2016-10-27/florida-constitution-no-place-have-debate-solar

hank

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 08:47:54 PM »
Whoever those judges are or whoever approved that language should be held to account!  They are not doing their job.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 02:47:19 PM »
The latest poll shows Amendment 1 at 59.8%, below the 60% threshold to pass. Sounds like the bad press and social media is taking effect. But it's still *very* close, so it's imperitive for people to get out there.

http://polls.saintleo.edu/proposed-florida-constitutional-amendment-on-solar-power-facing-a-changed-landscape-among-voters-new-saint-leo-poll-finds/
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?