Author Topic: Back in Time: The Subtropical Exposition  (Read 6922 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Back in Time: The Subtropical Exposition
« on: July 17, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »
Back in Time: The Subtropical Exposition

Towering 100 feet above First   Main, the Subtropical Exposition opened in 1888 to lure tourism to Jacksonville.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/843

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: Back in Time: The Subtropical Exposition
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 07:16:51 AM »
When I see those pix of old Jax I cannot imagine how hot it must have been without AC and wearing full coat and tie or the women wearing the heavy long dresses...ugh....
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

civil42806

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 07:59:41 AM »
great pictures, first ones I've seen of the interior.  About 6 years ago I picked up very nice decantur and set of glasses marked with the subtropical exposition at tin roof antiques

rjp2008

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 09:04:25 AM »
It didn't last very long once people decided to just go to subtropical south florida.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 09:07:49 AM »
What a great building though.  Imagine if that thing was still standing.

When I see those pix of old Jax I cannot imagine how hot it must have been without AC and wearing full coat and tie or the women wearing the heavy long dresses...ugh....

I've thought that very same thing many many times.  Also note that there was not Secret or Old Spice deodorant back then either.... P.U.!

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 09:13:38 AM »
Add to that the horse dung in the streets and the outhouse type latrines... Just think of one of those 98 degree 100% humidity days... with no breeze...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 09:17:02 AM »
..... paper mills and factories right up the road.... shipyards and fisheries the other way....

People back then must not have had a sence of smell.  :)

thebrokenforum

• Broken Sword Publications
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 02:30:37 PM »
What an amazing building. It would be awesome to have something like this downtown today only as an aquarium and maritime museum.

brainstormer

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 04:02:06 PM »
Ahh... back in the days when buildings were unique with intricate architecture and creative designs.  Not the cookie cutter buildings we build nowadays just to save a buck.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 09:32:12 AM »
You have to remember that it (the smells of fisheries, horse dung, factory smells, musky crotches and underarms, etc.) had been that way for centuries so people were used to these smells and were accustomed to them from the time they were born; it was the way of life back then so people were used to it and the smells.  Obviously when you had some of those smells, (horse dung, smoke, fisheries, etc.) this was ususally an indication of a sign of progress and prosperity.

Heights Unknown
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 10:31:05 AM »
You have to remember that it (the smells of fisheries, horse dung, factory smells, musky crotches and underarms, etc.) had been that way for centuries so people were used to these smells and were accustomed to them from the time they were born; it was the way of life back then so people were used to it and the smells.  Obviously when you had some of those smells, (horse dung, smoke, fisheries, etc.) this was ususally an indication of a sign of progress and prosperity.

Heights Unknown

No doubt... Thats why I said it was hard to imagine....

samiam

• The greenest house is one that is already built
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 01:56:22 PM »
I think they were quite used to it. In the Middle Ages, St. Bernard said, "We all stink. No one smells." I think that sums up their tolerance for it.
We had an enormous tolerance for cigarette smoke 25 years ago. Every indoor space was filled with it. Restaurants, the mall,  department stores.  But I never noticed it particularly. Now if I go into a bar I can smell it 10 feet from the door.  25 years ago, I wouldn't have even noticed it. BTW I smoke but not in the house

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
...and we should?
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »
We have covered the idea of World class museums, hosting a worlds fair *(2017 is open and would be the FIRST Worlds Fair in the USA for a long, long, time). Also rebuilding Dixieland, or the Ostrich Farm, either as a "TROLLEY PARK".

Now you've done it, gone and dug up the photos of the sub-tropical expo, in Jacksonville. There was also another element to this, a special train which toured the entire country, making stops all along the way showing the virtues of Florida Livings and JACKSONVILLE! Gee, what an idea for today... What a thing to recreate.

Ocklawaha

brainstormer

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 07:41:42 PM »
Thank you Ocklawaha for always sharing your knowledge of Jacksonville history in your posts.  As a transplant here, I enjoy learning about Jacksonville's past.

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 09:32:27 AM »
I think they were quite used to it. In the Middle Ages, St. Bernard said, "We all stink. No one smells." I think that sums up their tolerance for it.
We had an enormous tolerance for cigarette smoke 25 years ago. Every indoor space was filled with it. Restaurants, the mall,  department stores.  But I never noticed it particularly. Now if I go into a bar I can smell it 10 feet from the door.  25 years ago, I wouldn't have even noticed it. BTW I smoke but not in the house

Great point!!  People do become nasally fatigued afer even a relatively short exposure.  Back when I was a plumber I amazed myself with what smells I could tolerate.  Can't handle them anymore though!  :)