Author Topic: 3 New Coffee Shops Opening in Jacksonville  (Read 4822 times)

DTJAXEYE

Re: 3 New Coffee Shops Opening in Jacksonville
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 05:44:55 PM »
The answer is very simple:

Families attending church do not want to have to step over drunks lying, or worse, on the sidewalk.

Women walking to church should not have to endure wolf whistles and cat calls from drunken beer drinkers.

Tacachale

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 05:51:30 PM »

Families attending church do not want to have to step over drunks lying, or worse, on the sidewalk.

Women walking to church should not have to endure wolf whistles and cat calls from drunken beer drinkers.

LOL! Because that's definitely the clientele that Bold City and San Marco in general typically attract.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 06:06:44 PM »

I've spent three afternoons at Bold Bean San Marco over the last week.  About half of the afternoon/evening crowd were high school kids. I sat next to a woman and her child for the better part of two hours the other day.

The scene you are describing simply does not exist, whatsoever.

remc86007

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 06:07:18 PM »

Have you ever been to Bold Bean or San Marco for that matter? I'm guessing not...

Beyond that, have you ever seen such a thing as you suggest even around the worst bars in the city? Unless the church decides to hold a service at 2AM it's extremely unlikely that people will need to step over drunks or endure "wolf whistles and cat calls."

lastdaysoffla

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 08:41:28 PM »

We found the time traveler from Prohibition or the person in charge of buying all the liquor licenses for FBC every year.

There is no easy solution that I can see to this problem. From an infrastructure standpoint San Marco in general has a lack of parking and there are two perfectly functioning crosswalks at either end of the block that Bold Bean is on. Although the one at Hendricks and Atlantic is not exactly safe. The Church's lot may be the biggest surface lot in San Marco immediately surrounding the Square. Bold Bean patrons would never use any where near the capacity of that lot at any given time.

I'm surprised a compromise cannot be reached. A vast majority of the congregation at the Church must be drinkers and they seem to have no problem with people drinking on the deck at Hurricane Wings just another block down.

JBTripper

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 10:00:12 PM »

This has to be satire.

I'm still trying to figure out why a coffee shop has to serve beer.

And I’m still trying to figure out why a church has to serve grape juice with communion.

KenFSU

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 10:05:20 PM »

Two things off the top of my head: higher margins and appealing to people who don't drink coffee, or don't drink coffee at night.

Uppers in the morning, downers at night.

Even Starbucks is doing beer and wine now at a lot of locations.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

KenFSU

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 10:10:39 PM »

I'm almost positive this is sarcasm.

Either way, it's one of my favorite posts in a long time on MetroJacksonville.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!

JBTripper

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2018, 05:03:33 PM »

Two things off the top of my head: higher margins and appealing to people who don't drink coffee, or don't drink coffee at night.

Uppers in the morning, downers at night.

It's probably worth noting here that Starbucks wanted to sell beer and wine in their San Marco store. I'll give you one guess as to who organized the opposition campaign that shut it down...

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2018, 07:24:19 PM »

Really? That's sad. It's a shame everything has to end up being a bar. At least there's great public transport, so you don't have to get behind the wheel of your car after knocking back a few at the local 'coffee house'.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2018, 07:25:27 PM »
And I’m still trying to figure out why a church has to serve grape juice with communion.

It was always wine at the churches I was forced to attend as a kid. Shitty wine, but wine.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

JBTripper

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2018, 01:03:35 PM »
Baptists and Methodist serve grape juice, lest mothers and children will be stumbling over fornicators in the pew.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2018, 02:21:06 PM »
Serving diabetes in a cup. You're probably better off drinking wine as opposed to some these juice products they sell in grocery stores today.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

funwithteeth

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2018, 02:49:36 PM »

Really? That's sad. It's a shame everything has to end up being a bar. At least there's great public transport, so you don't have to get behind the wheel of your car after knocking back a few at the local 'coffee house'.
Starbucks stopped this service over a year ago: http://time.com/money/4629133/starbucks-evenings-beer-wine-menu/

I'm completely and totally fine with coffee shops having a small beer and wine menu as long as it's a good fit. The one time I got a beer at Starbucks it didn't feel that way at all; there was this cognitive dissonance in drinking alcohol in Starbucks that I couldn't shake.

KenFSU

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2018, 03:01:57 PM »
For what it's worth, the church claims to have pulled parking because of liability, rather than morality.

If that's the case, I'm a little more understanding.

When the popular coffee shop first opened, customers were allowed to park at Southside Baptist’s lot. But after Bold Bean began serving alcohol, the church withdrew its permission, citing concerns over the safety of potentially inebriated customers crossing the street, and the church’s liability if they were injured.

Source: https://residentnews.net/2018/03/07/coffee-shops-popularity-creates-headaches-for-nearby-residents/