Author Topic: San Marco's Florida Baptist site to become apartments  (Read 27510 times)

MusicMan

Re: San Marco's Florida Baptist site to become apartments
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2019, 09:31:10 PM »
"I pay $2k now for a 2 bedroom so...."

Kerry,

One of my customers bought a nicely renovated house in Riverside (3/2  2000 sqft) WITH a private, freestanding cottage with its own address, water and electric meter for $350,000.

His mortgage payment was a little less than your rent. The tenant pays $750.  Let me sell you a house!

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2019, 10:59:39 AM »

His mortgage payment  was a little less than your rent. The tenant pays $750.  Let me sell you a house!

The question isn't the mortgage, the question is the total cost of ownership.  In the the long run it's generally less. 

Anyway, the other day the poles were up around the old baptists property AND the bank at the corner by V.   The fencing is now up too.   

Does anyone know if they've scheduled a demolition for the buildings yet?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2019, 11:20:45 AM »
I believe they have the demo permit now.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Kerry

« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2019, 11:59:47 AM »

Kerry,

One of my customers bought a nicely renovated house in Riverside (3/2  2000 sqft) WITH a private, freestanding cottage with its own address, water and electric meter for $350,000.

His mortgage payment was a little less than your rent. The tenant pays $750.  Let me sell you a house!

I don't want to side track the discussion but there aren't ANY nicely renovated houses in Riverside, and only a couple in Springfield.  We probably looked at 50 houses and only 1 bothered to level the floor during renovation.  Paint, hardwood floors, and new kitchen doesn't mean squat if you don't level the floor.  We were extremely disappointed in the quality of the renovation jobs.  Our only option was to buy a pile of junk and renovate it ourselves but then we had the local preservation groups to deal with (which is probably the same reason the renovations suck).  We just decided to say No Thanks.
Third Place

jaxnyc79

« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2019, 12:18:11 PM »

Kerry,

I don't want to side track the discussion but there aren't ANY nicely renovated houses in Riverside, and only a couple in Springfield.  We probably looked at 50 houses and only 1 bothered to level the floor during renovation.  Paint, hardwood floors, and new kitchen doesn't mean squat if you don't level the floor.  We were extremely disappointed in the quality of the renovation jobs.  Our only option was to buy a pile of junk and renovate it ourselves but then we had the local preservation groups to deal with (which is probably the same reason the renovations suck).  We just decided to say No Thanks.

I did a similar tour for places to buy, and felt like Springfield isn't the sort of urban Neighborhood I'm after.  I like eclecticism and walkability and mixed-use density, but don't wish to live in a museum.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2019, 12:50:07 PM »

Kerry,

We can agree to disagree on standards of "nice". As far as floor leveling, we can also agree to disagree. So long as the foundation is secure (so any shifting has stopped), that's usually what most houses do. Leveling the floor can easily be a 5 figure investment and unless it's really bad, I'm not sure what it buys you.  The cost is not just the leveling to begin with, but then you generally have to repair the plaster on every surface of the house (wall and ceiling).

Also, I'd challenge you to find any house that is truly square and level. The house I own was built in 1965 and sits on a concrete slab, and it is not 100% square.

Related: The JHPC (the local preservation group you'd have to deal with) cannot stay a thing about the interior of your house. Exterior yes, but again that's what the neighborhood agreed to when they voted for the historic district.

Kerry

« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2019, 02:47:43 PM »
Yeah, I talked to one of the guys who tried to level the floors and it would have require new windows since the old ones warped over time with the decaying home.  Since he couldn't update the windows he just left the undulating floor and we bought a new house in Mandarin.  The new house isn't perfect but I don't have to walk uphill to the kitchen or lean to the left while climbing the stairs.

Anyhow, this my last post on this tangent and apologies to all for the detour.  If someone else wants to have the last word have at it.
Third Place

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2019, 01:34:08 PM »

I get the desire for focus but real conversations have tangents all the time.    Kerry's experience is important to remember when talking about options.  There are wonderful things about old houses.  But they have a lot of negatives too.   

The Florida baptists site has the old corner bank fenced off, too.   Is that going to be part of the redevelopment project?

acme54321

« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2019, 01:52:46 PM »

I get the desire for focus but real conversations have tangents all the time.    Kerry's experience is important to remember when talking about options.  There are wonderful things about old houses.  But they have a lot of negatives too.   

The Florida baptists site has the old corner bank fenced off, too.   Is that going to be part of the redevelopment project?

It's the entire block.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2019, 02:54:55 PM »
thanks

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #130 on: February 07, 2019, 12:03:52 PM »
I see demo has begun. Good riddance. I have always hated this building. Perhaps if I was directing a zombie movie, I might have felt differently about it.

vicupstate

« Reply #131 on: February 07, 2019, 12:19:02 PM »
I see demo has begun. Good riddance. I have always hated this building. Perhaps if I was directing a zombie movie, I might have felt differently about it.

Yeah, a blank wall built right up to the street and tacky, cheap looking panels on the other walls.  Definitely won't be missed.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: February 07, 2019, 12:21:04 PM »
I actually liked the building, although its street interaction was terrible. But you can't save everything, and demolition to replace it with something that interacts better is a win-win.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?