Author Topic: Is More Retail Coming to Brooklyn?  (Read 3614 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Is More Retail Coming to Brooklyn?
« on: August 01, 2016, 09:10:02 AM »
Is More Retail Coming to Brooklyn?

Moderncities.com highlights a plan underway to replace a portion of Riverside Avenue with more retail in Brooklyn.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2016-aug-is-more-retail-coming-to-brooklyn

Tacachale

• Administrator
Re: Is More Retail Coming to Brooklyn?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 09:58:19 AM »
Returning that loop-de-loop to active use on the tax rolls would be good. I'm a bit concerned about where the swapped land will be. It's going to be surface parking, so if it's along Riverside Avenue, it won't be much if any better than dead space surrounded by the "jughandle". Hopefully, it's in back of the property.

Also, the positioning of the jughandle parcel would make it a perfect spot for a good urban design. The involvement of DIA is a positive sign, but judging by how things are going in Brooklyn, we need to insist on getting the design we want and deserve.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 11:25:38 AM »
I drove by that development recently when I was in town and was not too impressed. Yes, I am happy to see development near Riverside, but it just looked like a massive parking lot to me. And the building have no character whatsoever. You would be forgiven for thinking you were on the Southside.

“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Westside Guy

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 12:04:58 PM »
Well if it is CVS that doubles our chances of getting a Walgreens downtown because where one goes so does the other.

FlaBoy

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 02:26:20 PM »
What would this do to the planned expansion of the Skyway around here?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 03:54:18 PM »
Nothing.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

icarus

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 04:01:51 PM »
Nothing.

Its amazing how so little a sliver of land can act as Jacksonville's own great wall .... maybe we can start a gofundme account for JTA where people contribute in return for monthly passes on the new people mover .. or we can start a gofundme account for season ticket holders who want a game day pass to ride the people mover to the stadium district .... never mind ... pension

edjax

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 07:26:26 PM »
Saw an article on Biz Journal that a French Bistro will be opening at the Everbank Plaza building.

JaxAvondale

jaxnyc79

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 06:51:36 AM »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 08:24:59 AM »
That's a side elevation. It's the exact same as the building housing Burrito Gallery. Building close to street with parking in the rear. I'm pleasantly surprised. I had a feeling it end up being a big parking lot between the building and the road.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 10:11:08 AM »

jaxnyc79

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 11:40:21 AM »
That's a side elevation. It's the exact same as the building housing Burrito Gallery. Building close to street with parking in the rear. I'm pleasantly surprised. I had a feeling it end up being a big parking lot between the building and the road.

Interesting.  As for all the parking, are city requirements driving that, or the potential tenants?  I understand Jax is very car-reliant, but hopefully some day, a critical mass of structures throughout the urban core can exist, and more of a walking culture developers where parking lots and parking garages don’t have to be so predominant throughout.

jaxnyc79

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 11:45:18 AM »
I’m not a real estate developer by any stretch, but what is the likeliest hurdle stopping a project like this from being 4 or 5 stories, with these retail uses on the ground floor and maybe 8 or 10 apartments on the floors above?  Is it the expertise of the developer, design and construction complexity, zoning approvals from the city, parking requirements of the city?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 12:29:23 PM »
Interesting.  As for all the parking, are city requirements driving that, or the potential tenants?  I understand Jax is very car-reliant, but hopefully some day, a critical mass of structures throughout the urban core can exist, and more of a walking culture developers where parking lots and parking garages don’t have to be so predominant throughout.

The developer is actually asking for a deviation to reduce the amount of parking required by the city.