Author Topic: Fat Cats Reopening?  (Read 5619 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: Fat Cats Reopening?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 10:04:51 AM »
Wahoo!   Another brewery!

With regards to the street redesign... why does the center median need to be unusable for traffic?  Why not a center turn lane?

In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

jaxnyc79

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 10:25:36 AM »
Why not the bike lane between the parked cars and the sidewalk for more protection?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 10:28:52 AM »
Why not the bike lane between the parked cars and the sidewalk for more protection?

Hmmm... bike lane between sidewalk and parked cars... to a non urban planner it seems a better arrangement
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 11:30:29 AM »
Wahoo!   Another brewery!

With regards to the street redesign... why does the center median need to be unusable for traffic?  Why not a center turn lane?

Suicide (Center Turn) lanes aren't generally a great application in areas with heavy pedestrian traffic. Given the context, left turn lanes shouldn't be continuous. They should exist only where absolutely necessary. Doing such allows for additional mid-block crossings, landscaping and other amenities that reduce the total amount of vehicle and pedestrian conflict points.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 11:40:10 AM »

Hmmm... bike lane between sidewalk and parked cars... to a non urban planner it seems a better arrangement
At the time those renderings were created, they were only intended to serve as two examples of right-sizing a neighborhood street. The affordable example was illustrated as a simple street resurfacing and lane stripping modification with raised curb median islands. With it, the idea was to keep the existing drainage infrastructure in tact. With that said, in regards to the bike lanes and diagonal parking, back-in diagonal parking would eliminate the concern expressed. There's great examples all around the country. I'm kind of surprised there aren't any already in Jax.

The more expensive example moves the curb and gutter. Modifying the drainage infrastructure would add millions to a lane elimination project, but it allows you to do whatever type of cross section you want. The one illustrated with parallel parking and wider sidewalks is one example. The suggestion mentioned in this thread could be another. Ultimately, COJ and the residents of Murray Hill should work together to create something that works for the neighborhood. Realistically, the typical cross section could change in various segments to align with the type of environment desired.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

SoudNoises

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 11:52:54 AM »
Excellent!!

btw that link took me to the second page which doesn't discuss the brewery. Here's the intro page:

https://www.moderncities.com/article/2017-dec-fishweir-brewing-company-coming-to-murray-hill/page/

Whoops, thanks! Fixed.

ProjectMaximus

SoudNoises

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2017, 10:48:04 AM »
https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/couple-plans-to-open-areas-first-sour-brewery

Glad it's an original concept. Was told by a local business owner last night that Fishweir is eyeing a late 2018/early 2019 opening. A LOT of work needs to be done on that space.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2017, 03:33:56 PM »
I hope they are a big success. So good to have a project in that space it has to be expensive to renovate.
"YOU are the people willing to overlook the fact that Trump is an unqualified, ignorant sociopath because DURRRR HILLARY IS BAD TOO DURRRR." Drew Margary