Author Topic: 5 Ideas to Revitalize the Jacksonville Landing  (Read 11699 times)

downtownbrown

Re: 5 Ideas to Revitalize the Jacksonville Landing
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2018, 02:52:37 PM »
I'll tell you what would be awesome there: Eataly.  I've been to the one in Manhattan.  Big footprint, great variety of shops and restaurants.  Open format. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2018, 03:36:17 PM »
Don't hold your breath on that one. Although they're opening a Miami location, their smallest US location is Boston.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2018, 03:59:03 PM »
As great as having the Landing convert to a trendy food hall, I still think an ideal location for one would be the old Pic and Save on 7th Street in Springfield. Any new concept for the Landing would be most welcomed but I think it would work so much better there. Unlike where the Landing is, not only is there an ample population base and plenty of parking but the idea of all the food halls I've been to was to offer neighborhood residents there restaurant and food purveyor options they don't currently have. Even though they have some decent options for dining, Springfield is still virtually a foodie and fresh produce desert and once that perception changes so will the  fortunes of the neighborhood, particularly concerning commercial development. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2018, 04:31:45 PM »
For something to work in Springfield, it would need be a regional draw (sort of like many of Riverside's restaurants and bars only survive because of people driving into the neigborhood). Springfield doesn't have the population to support something the size of a Pic N Save on its own.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT)
    • Music and Personal Info Website
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2018, 04:56:12 PM »
@ Lakelander.......PARTY POOPER!!! Don't get mad, I'm just playing.
DONATE TODAY TO HELP ALL WHO ARE IN NEED BY CLICKING HERE ON MY MUSIC WEBISTE: http://HTTP://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/COSTON; ALL PURCHASES ARE DONATIONS TO HELP ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE NEEDY, UNDERPRIVILEGED AND DISADVANTAGED.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2018, 05:11:09 PM »
Lol Jacksonville has turned me into a realist.

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2018, 05:52:35 PM »

[/quote]
For something to work in Springfield, it would need be a regional draw (sort of like many of Riverside's restaurants and bars only survive because of people driving into the neigborhood). Springfield doesn't have the population to support something the size of a Pic N Save on its own.

I wouldn't see a food hall operator using the entire space, just have room for partitions for vendors a few kitchens seating and maybe a cooking demonstration area. Because what is it used for now? Are they waiting for Target to come on in? I just feel that a food hall or something like it would be a great adaptive reuse of an abandoned building (this goes for  the old Pic and Save on McDuff as well).

And why couldn't this be a regional draw for the area? Aren't events like Parade of Homes and Porchfest regional draws? Would it kill the "vibe" having hundreds of visitors spending some money in the neighborhood every weekend? Keep in mind that areas north and northwest of there are getting some decent growth and it would be nice to have something different and unique for them to go to that doesn't require a ton of ditch crossing.

I'll tell you what would be awesome there: Eataly.  I've been to the one in Manhattan.  Big footprint, great variety of shops and restaurants.  Open format. 

You know what I really enjoy is this place called Le District which is basically a French version of Eataly. Sure is a lot better than the one in Lower Manhattan.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2018, 06:14:04 PM »
I wouldn't see a food hall operator using the entire space, just have room for partitions for vendors a few kitchens seating and maybe a cooking demonstration area. Because what is it used for now? Are they waiting for Target to come on in? I just feel that a food hall or something like it would be a great adaptive reuse of an abandoned building (this goes for  the old Pic and Save on McDuff as well).

Yes, like food courts in malls, there's room for more than one food hall concept in a metro with 1.5 million residents. Even Winter Garden (not Winter Park) has one called Plant Street Market that pretty popular.

And why couldn't this be a regional draw for the area? Aren't events like Parade of Homes and Porchfest regional draws? Would it kill the "vibe" having hundreds of visitors spending some money in the neighborhood every weekend? Keep in mind that areas north and northwest of there are getting some decent growth and it would be nice to have something different and unique for them to go to that doesn't require a ton of ditch crossing.

I wouldn't compare the needs of an everyday business with an annual weekend event like Porchfest. However, just about anything in Springfield will need the support of people outside of the neighborhood to survive. Currently, it's significantly less dense than it was at the height of its popularity. Btw, I wasn't saying it's something wrong with having a regional draw in the neighborhood. Just stating that's a pretty big building with no frontage from Main Street (and Main doesn't have high AADT anyway since I-95 siphoned north-south traffic off of it).

Plant Street Market - Winter Garden, FL

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT)
    • Music and Personal Info Website
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2018, 06:48:08 PM »
Lol Jacksonville has turned me into a realist.
@ LAKELANDER.......LOLOL...I hear ya. I love me some Jacksonville, but when is this madness, laxity, and red tape stop? I think the good ole boys, or most of them are pushing up daisies; so why still the apprehension, caution, fear, WHATEVER?! Let's be the big city of almost a million people that we claim to be. If we can't be that, or are afraid to be a big boy, then shrink the city limits back to pre-consolidation, and be the 250,000 or so city that you really are. Hmm hmm...I did say I love me some Jax and I've got ALL of that off my chest.
DONATE TODAY TO HELP ALL WHO ARE IN NEED BY CLICKING HERE ON MY MUSIC WEBISTE: http://HTTP://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/COSTON; ALL PURCHASES ARE DONATIONS TO HELP ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE NEEDY, UNDERPRIVILEGED AND DISADVANTAGED.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2018, 07:24:56 PM »
Wasn't a food hall part of the plans at Doro District?

I liked the idea of a small Food Hall at Edgewood/Post before El Jefe decided to come into that space.

jaxrox

• Juno Who
    • Personal Page  FOLLOW ME IF YOU DARE
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2018, 01:22:22 PM »
@heights unknown, it’s ok, i love me some Jax, too :)

downtownbrown

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2018, 03:32:34 PM »

You know what I really enjoy is this place called Le District which is basically a French version of Eataly. Sure is a lot better than the one in Lower Manhattan.
[/quote]

OK, I'll compromise.  How bout the shops underneath the Plaza?

jaxrox

• Juno Who
    • Personal Page  FOLLOW ME IF YOU DARE
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2018, 04:30:14 PM »
Has there ever or will there ever be a Harley Davidson shop there @ the landing, or is that window with HD merchandise gonna just stay there and mock me forever? ;) lol