Author Topic: The Space Inbetween: Hansontown  (Read 2662 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
The Space Inbetween: Hansontown
« on: June 27, 2016, 09:05:01 AM »
The Space Inbetween: Hansontown

Ennis Davis, AICP of ModernCities.com highlights the rise and fall of a forgotten downtown Jacksonville community: Hansontown

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2016-jun-the-space-inbetween-hansontown

spuwho

Re: The Space Inbetween: Hansontown
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 12:51:49 PM »
I had seen Hansontown on a bunch of old plat maps but didnt know the back story.

There are some odd shaped buildings in that area and I wonder if it was becuase of the prior street demarcations.

I will go back and look.

Good story.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 01:35:38 PM »
Yes. Many of the old shaped buildings in this area reflect the prior street demarcations.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 01:38:00 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

spuwho

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 06:34:48 PM »
Yes. Many of the old shaped buildings in this area reflect the prior street demarcations.

What a riot. I had just pulled up a picture of that alley at Clay and State on Google and was going to post it and here it is.

acme54321

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 04:22:48 PM »
Great article.

It's amazing how much of that area is now just vacant land, it seems like upwards of 30%.  I can't even imagine what would happend today if the city attempted to bulldoze block upon block to build anything.  They sure managed to do it back in the day.   It's rather mind boggling.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 06:43:47 PM »
Thanks. I'm focusing on providing similar articles on all of the city's urban core neighborhoods over the next few months. Once wrapped up, I may combine them into some form of a book. Another story about the next neighborhood covered will run this week.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Scarlettjax

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 06:56:50 PM »
Love to read and see these stories.  Keep up the good work!  There is so much of our history we are not aware of and it is important to learn from the past. 

acme54321

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 10:31:15 AM »
Thanks. I'm focusing on providing similar articles on all of the city's urban core neighborhoods over the next few months. Once wrapped up, I may combine them into some form of a book. Another story about the next neighborhood covered will run this week.

Any plans for the Southbank and South Jacksonville.  Lots of that area was also lost but no one really talks about it.  I've been curious about the area north of Nira to the river but you don't really see much info on it, at least as must as is available for other parts of town.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 10:33:13 AM »
^Yes!

acme54321

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 10:42:58 AM »
Awesome  ;D