Author Topic: City offering Snyder Memorial for Sale/Lease  (Read 9069 times)

Tacachale

• Administrator
Re: City offering Snyder Memorial for Sale/Lease
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 05:35:38 PM »
I think what mtraininjax was saying is that Heming's problems can't be fixed by building adjacent uses

The principles espoused by the Project for Public Spaces pretty much say otherwise (note the Inner Square and Outer Square concepts)

http://www.pps.org/reference/squaresprinciples/

Go through those 10 items and identify which ones HP is missing.  I think it has all 10.....yet, still needs to be saved.

1, 2, 4, 9, and 10 have only come in the last year or so. It's still lacking in 2 (attractions and destinations), 3 (amenities, there's still no bathroom) and 4 (flexibility). It still has no 5 (seasonal strategy), 7 (inner square and outer square) and 8 (reaching out like an octopus). Those are the very things that new additions like Snyder - and previous additions like the Library, MOCA Jax, Chamblin's and Sweet Pete's - can help with.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Kerry

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 06:33:55 PM »
Don't get wrong, I am all about a thriving and prosperous urban core, but HP isn't just a puzzle piece away - and that assumption is what I was responding to.
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 08:07:09 PM »
I think what mtraininjax was saying is that Heming's problems can't be fixed by building adjacent uses

The principles espoused by the Project for Public Spaces pretty much say otherwise (note the Inner Square and Outer Square concepts)

http://www.pps.org/reference/squaresprinciples/

Go through those 10 items and identify which ones HP is missing.  I think it has all 10.....yet, still needs to be saved.

I disagree on the notion that Hemming actually meets PPS' 10 Principles for Successful Squares

1. Image and Identity? Hemming lacks image and identity. Most of Jax has probably never heard or seen of the place. Although its most popular days were in the mid-20th century when it was the retail center of the city, that era died and was demolished 30 years ago.

2. Attractions and Destinations? Hemming has come a long way with "Attractions and Destinations". The programming of Friends of Hemming are the reason for this. Nevertheless, there's still work to do.

3. Amenities making it comfortable for people to use? Ha. There are no public restrooms. Enough said.

4. Flexible Design? It has this. It's an old and dated design but it is flexible.

5. Seasonal Strategy? It had none before Friends of Hemming. Over the last year, there has been visible positive change.

6. Access? Yes it has this. It has always been easily accessible by foot. The problem is the rest of downtown isn't exactly lively.

7. Inner Square/Outer Square? I'll skip the Inner Square and address the Outer. The Outer Square is pretty bad. The three best things it has going for it are Subway, MOCAJax and a public library that poorly addresses the street and contains its own competing public space upstairs.

The remaining three blocks are former hotel/retail street level spaces, all now walled off for government offices. Outside of Sweet Pete's (which is a godsend recent addition to the area), the Outer Square is pretty dead on weekends and weekdays after 6pm. We have lots of work to do here.

8. Reaching out like an Octopus? The surrounding blocks are definitely hit or miss. Heading north, they lead into blank walls and FSCJ's iron fence. East, they head to surface parking lots. West, they head to a poorly designed courthouse and the bones of LaVilla. The walk and activity south is much better, but definitely not vibrant.

9. Central Role of Management? It had none before Friends of Hemming. With Friends, there's been definite improvement on the activity and quality of the park.

10. Diverse Funding Sources? Seems like there's some struggle here.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 08:08:50 PM »
Don't get wrong, I am all about a thriving and prosperous urban core, but HP isn't just a puzzle piece away - and that assumption is what I was responding to.

I agree that HP isn't a puzzle piece away as well. Ultimately, there's only going to be so much one can do with the space, when most of the surrounding land uses are about as bad as can be for stimulating foot traffic on a consistent basis.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

KenFSU

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 08:50:40 PM »
It needs lots of residential near by or a significant hotel.

A no-frills Skyway station connecting Brooklyn to Hemming would be a nice start too. 
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

KenFSU

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 03:45:59 PM »
Just want to again point out that with all the activity happening along or just off of Laura Street - the Barnett, the Laura Street Trio, FSCJ, the new garage, Hotel Indigo, improvements to Hemming, new rooftop bars and restaurants, etc - I do not think there's a vacant property in the entire CBD with as much immediate potential as Snyder Memorial Church. I walk by it every day, and it's just screaming to be renovated and converted into a bar & live music venue. It's literally in the perfect location, on the corner with perhaps the most foot traffic anywhere downtown (foot traffic that is only going to increase in coming years as projects are completed), directly adjacent to Hemming Park, the Main Library, Chamblin's, City Hall, the Skyway, etc. It's one of the oldest standing buildings downtown (115 years old), and the exterior is just beautiful. The doors open up right to the street. Build out a nice interior like the examples above, fill it with live music and booze, open it up to/make it inviting from the sidewalk, and I see no universe where it isn't the most crowded post-work happy hour spot downtown, and a popular post-dinner spot for people coming from the Chophouse, or Bellwether, or Morton's, or wherever.

With so much development underway and proposed for Laura, this is the property that the city needs to put an RFP out on yesterday, or find a buyer for outright.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!

marcuscnelson

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 10:55:49 PM »
Just want to again point out that with all the activity happening along or just off of Laura Street - the Barnett, the Laura Street Trio, FSCJ, the new garage, Hotel Indigo, improvements to Hemming, new rooftop bars and restaurants, etc - I do not think there's a vacant property in the entire CBD with as much immediate potential as Snyder Memorial Church. I walk by it every day, and it's just screaming to be renovated and converted into a bar & live music venue. It's literally in the perfect location, on the corner with perhaps the most foot traffic anywhere downtown (foot traffic that is only going to increase in coming years as projects are completed), directly adjacent to Hemming Park, the Main Library, Chamblin's, City Hall, the Skyway, etc. It's one of the oldest standing buildings downtown (115 years old), and the exterior is just beautiful. The doors open up right to the street. Build out a nice interior like the examples above, fill it with live music and booze, open it up to/make it inviting from the sidewalk, and I see no universe where it isn't the most crowded post-work happy hour spot downtown, and a popular post-dinner spot for people coming from the Chophouse, or Bellwether, or Morton's, or wherever.

With so much development underway and proposed for Laura, this is the property that the city needs to put an RFP out on yesterday, or find a buyer for outright.

This is the kind of development that I think a community-owned development cooperative could truly shine in, provided the right leadership and the ability to work with shareholders and banks for capital. A setting where you have an unused building in an area ripe for development, that really just needs someone to pick up the ball and run. I put an example and some thoughts about the questions behind making something like it work over in this thread:

https://www.metrojacksonville.com/forum/index.php/topic,34476.msg477253/topicseen.html#new

vicupstate

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 08:23:18 AM »
Since this RFP is now 19 months old, are we to assume no one put in a bif for it?
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Coffee District
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 09:51:31 AM »
Since this RFP is now 19 months old, are we to assume no one put in a bif for it?

Actually, Rummel agreed to buy it for "Healthy Church, A fit soul is a happy soul".
However, according to a new agreement, now I am supposed to buy it and lease it back to him. It is complicated and I am still reviewing it.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 10:02:08 AM »
^LOL. you are on fire today. It's almost like it's Jags-Pats weekend or something.

KenFSU

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 10:34:13 AM »

I've reached out to multiple people in the last six months about the status of Snyder and the RFP, but I haven't been able to get a straight answer from anyone.

Downtown Osprey

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 01:15:31 PM »
Such a shame this building can't be put to good use. It's absolutely beautiful inside, hopefully something eventually happens.

MusicMan

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2018, 10:45:20 AM »
"I've reached out to multiple people in the last six months about the status of Snyder and the RFP, but I haven't been able to get a straight answer from anyone."

I hope you are not surprised.  Did you get any answer at all from anyone?

My experience with the COJ Division of Real Estate has been awful.  Would love for the Mayor and City Council to dissolve it and start fresh.

FlaBoy

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2018, 01:06:45 PM »
Restaurant/Bar/Music Venue would be awesome for the site.

I think once Indigo and the Trio are actually on their way to being finished, someone will scoop this up. There is a lot of area for outdoor seating on Monroe and some on Laura. It would be an excellent event venue for weddings, corporate events or even a small church to rent on Sunday morning. With the federal tax credits for preservation going away, the cost just went up considerably to restore the place. Hopefully retail along the corridor will take off and will make reuse inevitable.

JaxVision

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2018, 01:38:14 PM »
There are so many great buildings like this DT and it is good to see some people with vision but also the resources to come in and make them into something great again. Hopefully this old church can be turned into another great spot for DT...I am not saying this next concept should be in this building but it could be a great fit DT in another renovated building or the Doro area and that concept is the Punch Bowl Social. A place that started in Colorado but has venues across the country and the closest to us would be Atl when it opens. They have great food, games and even bowling lanes. They do make new buildouts but from the looks of most locations it seems they like to go into DT and help revitalize buildings. Best things is it’s made for adults and would fit well in the doro or elbow area.