Author Topic: Florida-Georgia Staying in Jacksonville  (Read 8412 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Florida-Georgia Staying in Jacksonville
« on: March 17, 2016, 03:00:04 AM »
Florida-Georgia Staying in Jacksonville

The Florida-Georgia football game will remain in Jacksonville for the foreseeable future.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2016-mar-florida-georgia-staying-in-jacksonville

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: Florida-Georgia Staying in Jacksonville
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 03:44:47 AM »
That's excellent news. Not only is it good for Jax, it's good for tradition. I think the setting is one of the things that helps make the game a special occasion.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Charles Hunter

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 06:20:50 AM »
No word on how they will compensate for the reduced capacity, or how much more it will cost the city?

Kerry

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 09:23:00 AM »
The Florida-Georgia game generated $35 million in economic impact to the City of Jacksonville in 2015, $2 million more than it did in 2014.  Roughly 127,000 people visit Jacksonville annually for the game, accounting for 35,000 hotel room nights.

I hope this isn't a case of publicizing the expenses and privatizing the profits.  Does the City get the money to pay the teams from the Hotel/Motel tax?
Third Place

Gators312

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 04:34:23 PM »
The Florida-Georgia game generated $35 million in economic impact to the City of Jacksonville in 2015, $2 million more than it did in 2014.  Roughly 127,000 people visit Jacksonville annually for the game, accounting for 35,000 hotel room nights.

I hope this isn't a case of publicizing the expenses and privatizing the profits.  Does the City get the money to pay the teams from the Hotel/Motel tax?

The city pays the teams from ticket sales, afaik.

Kerry

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 04:41:23 PM »
If that is the case, yeah!  I used to live in place that is infamous for using the general fund to attract events that only delivered profits to a select few business people, so I am always cautious when it comes to stuff like this.  It is like they use the City funds as their own personal customer generation machine and heaven forbid someone question them about it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 04:44:36 PM by Kerry »
Third Place

RattlerGator

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 09:27:10 AM »
Once the amphitheater and the flex field are completed, the atmosphere around the game will only increase. It's already spectacular but will shine even more now.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 11:10:45 AM »
It will be interesting to see how they manage to keep the capacity up. Our large capacity has always been one of the main draws for the schools in having the event here versus other places, and their stances in the contract negotiations are making it clear they don't want to lose it.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 11:13:58 AM »
^My guess is the replacement for the club seats will be with non-club seats. The schools don't necessarily need all of the club seats.

Could they not just go a little taller with the temporaries?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 11:18:53 AM »
^I'm sure they can, it's just not going to be cheap. And yeah, the schools care a lot less about the club seats than the Jags do. All tickets at FL-GA have a much higher profit margin than tix at the home stadiums, and I imagine the margins on the regular seats are better than those on the club seats.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

KenFSU

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 08:51:52 AM »
Nothing signed yet, but negotiations under way for an extension beyond 2021, and the city feels confident that a deal will be reached soon.

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2019/10/15/contract-extension-to-keep-florida-georgia-in.html?iana=hpmvp_jac_news_headline

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 09:03:32 AM »
Nothing signed yet, but negotiations under way for an extension beyond 2021, and the city feels confident that a deal will be reached soon.

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2019/10/15/contract-extension-to-keep-florida-georgia-in.html?iana=hpmvp_jac_news_headline

Great news.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 09:29:01 AM »

When signed I'll celebrate. While I'm not a big college football fan and haven't been downtown for Florida Georgia in a while, it's a big deal for the city and I've been concerned that the Landing fiasco would hurt this. Apparently the city has convinced both ADs that better days are ahead.

Or, maybe they just wrote both schools a giant check.

acme54321

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 11:19:00 AM »
The schools and team's boosters ($$$) could care less about The Landing.  I doubt it's existence, or lack thereof, has any impact on the game being hosted here. The only people that might miss it are the students and local yahoos.

JBTripper

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2019, 12:24:45 PM »
The schools and team's boosters ($$$) could care less about The Landing.  I doubt it's existence, or lack thereof, has any impact on the game being hosted here. The only people that might miss it are the students and local yahoos.

Reality is that the absence of the Landing is probably viewed as more of a positive than a negative from the POV of the schools. Only bad things happen at the Landing.

Does anyone have any further details about the extension? JBJ story is behind a paywall. How many years are we talking about here?