Author Topic: Hemming Park Black Sheep Restaurant Renderings  (Read 11903 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Hemming Park Black Sheep Restaurant Renderings
« on: March 08, 2016, 03:00:03 AM »

I-10east

Re: Hemming Park Black Sheep Restaurant Renderings
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 06:20:50 AM »
It looks good to me.

*Hipster-prefered 'environmentally friendly' intermodal shipping containers as the restaurant's building? Check!

*Heart of downtown location? Check!

*Outdoor tables & chairs? Check!

*Good eatin'? Check!  :)

ronchamblin

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 08:12:24 AM »
This should not only create a great plus for the park, but will also add one more positive to the general core infrastructural image as viewed by prospective residents, businesses and visitors looking to engage the core.  Basically, its an added bit of permanent energy into the core ... which is what we need.  Let’s hope that no serious obstacles take root within the minds of those inclined to be obstructionists just for the hell of it. 

CCMjax

• "That's what we're here for boys . . . to win!!"
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 08:13:33 AM »
I love this concept and I think it's great for Hemming Park.  Finally went to the restaurant in Five Points this last weekend for the first time.  That place is amazing, now I know what everyone has been raving about.  Please tell me they are going to have the Poutine with Spare Ribs at the HP location!
"The first man who, having enclosed a piece of ground, bethought himself of saying 'This is mine,' and found people simple enough to believe him, was the real founder of civil society." - Jean Jacques Rousseau

UNFurbanist

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 02:44:20 PM »
Let's get this moving!

E_Dubya

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 03:18:43 PM »
This should not only create a great plus for the park, but will also add one more positive to the general core infrastructural image as viewed by prospective residents, businesses and visitors looking to engage the core.  Basically, its an added bit of permanent energy into the core ... which is what we need. Let’s hope that no serious obstacles take root within the minds of those inclined to be obstructionists just for the hell of it.

You never know. FBC could see this as godless devil worship in their backyard. We all know that the devil is "the black sheep," so it must be stopped.

Dapperdan

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 03:47:37 PM »
This should not only create a great plus for the park, but will also add one more positive to the general core infrastructural image as viewed by prospective residents, businesses and visitors looking to engage the core.  Basically, its an added bit of permanent energy into the core ... which is what we need. Let’s hope that no serious obstacles take root within the minds of those inclined to be obstructionists just for the hell of it.

You never know. FBC could see this as godless devil worship in their backyard. We all know that the devil is "the black sheep," so it must be stopped.

Come on now. When is the last time FBC complained about anything? Wednesday Art Walk happens during their mid week service and there are all kinds of beers in the streets flowing and they have not said a thing.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 04:00:06 PM »
This idea and these renderings are awesome. Is there any talk of a bathroom, though?
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

johnnyliar

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 04:27:36 PM »
a bathroom is going to be needed very soon in hemming park.
Not just for the regulars, but for new guests who will be visiting for food trucks, black sheep, vagabond, etc

Houseboat Mike

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 10:00:04 PM »

Come on now. When is the last time FBC complained about anything? Wednesday Art Walk happens during their mid week service and there are all kinds of beers in the streets flowing and they have not said a thing.

exactly.  these kinds of comments are left over from 20 years ago, although even then the church was blamed for literally everything that didn't happen downtown.  The problem with misattributing things like this is that you never find out what the real problem is.

First Baptist is committed to having a thriving downtown, and are not the goblins that people would like to redefine them as.

Perhaps...but....

FBC was a controlling force downtown for a lot of years.

They contributed to the wasteland that is downtown now.

Stereotypes don't change overnight.

And I am not convinced that they are not still powerful in downtown issues.

They just don't vocalize them as loud now.

Probably because of forums like this.

But I will bet you a lunch at Metro Diner (a place without a downtown presence) that FBC is still a puppet master for downtown issues.

Of course...I have had vodka tonight. So who knows.

I could be wrong.

But I doubt it.

I-10east

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 07:21:57 AM »
You never know. FBC could see this as godless devil worship in their backyard. We all know that the devil is "the black sheep," so it must be stopped

Sigh....It's amazing how vociferous the 'FBC is at the helm of every issue in Jax' tin-foilers are. I met this girl from Phoenix who haven't even been here for a year yet, and she was spouting off with the 'FBC controlling everything' rubbish; I was like oh boy...A minority of people are the loudest in the room; They will then spread their 'message' to others, no matter how erroneous it is...

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 07:35:13 AM »
This idea and these renderings are awesome. Is there any talk of a bathroom, though?

Yes, a bathroom will be required.

ronchamblin

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 08:06:02 AM »

exactly.  these kinds of comments are left over from 20 years ago, although even then the church was blamed for literally everything that didn't happen downtown.  The problem with misattributing things like this is that you never find out what the real problem is.

First Baptist is committed to having a thriving downtown, and are not the goblins that people would like to redefine them as.

Perhaps...but....

FBC was a controlling force downtown for a lot of years.

They contributed to the wasteland that is downtown now.

Stereotypes don't change overnight.

And I am not convinced that they are not still powerful in downtown issues.

They just don't vocalize them as loud now.

Probably because of forums like this.

But I will bet you a lunch at Metro Diner (a place without a downtown presence) that FBC is still a puppet master for downtown issues.

Of course...I have had vodka tonight. So who knows.

I could be wrong.

But I doubt it.

Actually … and oddly enough in retrospect … my comment ...

“Let’s hope that no serious obstacles take root within the minds of those inclined to be obstructionists just for the hell of it.’

… had no presence within my mind as being related to the FBC.  I was simply trying to imagine an obstructionist entity or individual appearing out of the blue, perhaps with the most absurd reason to halt or grossly modify the Black Sheep concept or plans.  Aren’t we occasionally surprised by this kind of thing? 

I cannot imagine the FBC opposing this kind of improvement upon the core area, and especially within the park.  As someone commented, the FBC institution is not now the boogieman that it once might have been.  As with most entities, there is evolution within … floating, changing, growing ...  usually to achieve an inner balance, and a genuinely positive influence upon whatever environment within which it lives.   

The presence of FBC in the core is interesting.  If one is to express opinions of it, it perhaps should be from a cautious perspective, as the institution’s presence is somewhat complex, having a broad range of effects upon the core and the city in general … many being positives … with very few negatives.  All the while, respect and admiration for this institution should perhaps be encouraged … even from atheists like myself ... as it has its place in the scheme of things, even now … just as it has had its place in the past.

Crabernacle

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 11:33:20 AM »

Yes, a bathroom will be required.

Agreed. But how long until it someone foolishly decides it needs to remain locked to keep any "undesirables" out?

UNFurbanist

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 11:45:39 AM »
Only problem I foresee is if BLK SHP adds a bathroom that is fully inclusive per an expanded HRO. Then FBC will be out protesting and pulling strings ;)