Author Topic: Political cartoons  (Read 920491 times)

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
Re: Political cartoons
« Reply #5805 on: September 28, 2018, 11:13:29 AM »
"If it was that bad she would have reported it" Donald Trump

Gunnar

« Reply #5806 on: September 29, 2018, 05:27:28 AM »

Not a fan of either Trump nor Kavanaugh but the problem I see here is that it's a "guilty until proven innocent" situation and there is no way he can prove his innocence after 36 years. The introduction of assumption of guilt is something I find highly problematic and long term dangerous.

I want to live in a society where people can voice unpopular opinions because I know that as a result of that, a society grows and matures...” — Hugh Hefner

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #5807 on: September 29, 2018, 07:27:35 AM »
Seems there is a large number of people not concerned about that...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Gunnar

« Reply #5808 on: September 29, 2018, 08:10:09 AM »
This is from the Wikipedia article on McCarthyism - sounds eerily familiar.

Nowadays you do not even need panels or show trials - the mere accusation is enough to destroy a person.

During the McCarthy era, hundreds of Americans were accused of being communists or communist sympathizers and became the subject of aggressive investigations and questioning before government or private industry panels, committees and agencies.

The primary targets of such suspicions were government employees, those in the entertainment industry, educators and labor union activists.

Suspicions were often given credence despite inconclusive or questionable evidence, and the level of threat posed by a person's real or supposed leftist associations or beliefs was sometimes exaggerated.

Many people suffered loss of employment or destruction of their careers; some even suffered imprisonment. Most of these punishments came about through trial verdicts later overturned,[3] laws that were later declared unconstitutional,[4] dismissals for reasons later declared illegal[5] or actionable,[6] or extra-legal procedures that would come into general disrepute.
I want to live in a society where people can voice unpopular opinions because I know that as a result of that, a society grows and matures...” — Hugh Hefner

DrQue

« Reply #5809 on: September 29, 2018, 09:43:56 AM »
Job interview does not equal due process.

At least this guy received a hearing.

Gunnar

« Reply #5810 on: September 29, 2018, 10:52:51 AM »

At least this guy received a hearing.

Many people suffered loss of employment or destruction of their careers;

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #5811 on: September 29, 2018, 11:25:05 AM »

But it's not really just a "job interview" is it? It's a confirmation hearing, conducted under oath. Acting as if it's simply a "job interview" is disingenuous.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 11:29:04 AM by Adam White »
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

DrQue

« Reply #5812 on: September 29, 2018, 01:52:06 PM »
 I'd go with hyperbole over deceitful. He's owed a fair hearing in the senate and I'd say its the Senate's job to vet his dirty laundry given the gravity of this appointment.

Taking a step back, the nomination process is broken, starting with Garland. Both party's abandonment of Senate majority/filibuster rules have only made the Supreme Court more of a political football.   

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #5813 on: September 29, 2018, 02:47:36 PM »
I'd go with hyperbole over deceitful. He's owed a fair hearing in the senate and I'd say its the Senate's job to vet his dirty laundry given the gravity of this appointment.

Taking a step back, the nomination process is broken, starting with Garland. Both party's abandonment of Senate majority/filibuster rules have only made the Supreme Court more of a political football.

I think he's a shitbag. But to be fair, the Democrats are the one who politicised the process first (with Bork and then Thomas). Payback is a bitch.

Now we're all suffering.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #5814 on: September 29, 2018, 05:36:27 PM »
Of course you think he is a shitbag.  Lol... Perhaps a shitbag in high school...  ::)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #5815 on: September 29, 2018, 06:23:56 PM »
Of course you think he is a shitbag.  Lol... Perhaps a shitbag in high school...  ::)

Yes, "Lol" indeed.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #5816 on: October 03, 2018, 07:06:15 AM »

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #5817 on: October 11, 2018, 11:31:43 AM »
"If it was that bad she would have reported it" Donald Trump

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #5818 on: October 12, 2018, 06:35:32 AM »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #5819 on: October 30, 2018, 09:06:53 AM »