Author Topic: Urban Construction Update - January 2016  (Read 6766 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Urban Construction Update - January 2016
« on: January 28, 2016, 03:00:05 AM »
Urban Construction Update - January 2016

Major construction projects have returned to the landscape of Jacksonville's urban core. Find out where (and more) as we take a brief look at the status of various developments under construction in and around Downtown Jacksonville during the month of January 2016.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2016-jan-urban-construction-update-january-2016

Captain Zissou

Re: Urban Construction Update - January 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 09:15:01 AM »
Progress on the Beaver Street Villas??  I never thought I'd see the day.  Next is Fuddruckers, the San Marco Publix, and the Shipyards!

jaxjaguar

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 09:58:53 AM »
What exactly is being done to the library? It's been going on for years, but I feel like it looks exactly the same. Also, why is it taking so long?

Bill Hoff

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 11:09:28 AM »
I believe I've mentioned this the last couple months on the Urban Construction updates: Bmorcreative design studio is opening at 157 E. 8th Street, next to Crux Collective. Progress of their build out can be found on their Facebook page, looks like it'll be completed relatively soon.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 11:18:38 AM »
^I went by it. For some reason, I was under the impression that it was completed already.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 03:18:45 PM »
Over at the Lexington Hotel, there was work going on in the empty retail buildings along the Riverwalk two weeks ago. But I think they have a different owner than the hotel now.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

mbwright

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 09:17:51 AM »
What's happening at the Drew Mansion.  Recently purchased was almost a year ago.
Why the need for renovations at the Library?  It's not that old.

Djdabbs

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 11:44:32 AM »
There would be a whole lot more going on if the city will give up some of those falling apart buildings. The city would give the option for people to start using them and then purchase them will help them raise more money and income for the City of Jacksonville. I would love to have an opportunity to have one of these buildings but the city is not being very cooperative and they either don't care or don't want to raise money for the city.

CCMjax

• "That's what we're here for boys . . . to win!!"
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 12:26:25 PM »
There would be a whole lot more going on if the city will give up some of those falling apart buildings. The city would give the option for people to start using them and then purchase them will help them raise more money and income for the City of Jacksonville. I would love to have an opportunity to have one of these buildings but the city is not being very cooperative and they either don't care or don't want to raise money for the city.

How have they not cooperated?  Did you try to purchase one or just wanted to use it without owning?  Using for what?  A different use than what the building was designed for?  These are things that can complicate the process which may be why they are not being cooperative.
"The first man who, having enclosed a piece of ground, bethought himself of saying 'This is mine,' and found people simple enough to believe him, was the real founder of civil society." - Jean Jacques Rousseau

CCMjax

• "That's what we're here for boys . . . to win!!"
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 03:08:30 PM »

How have they not cooperated?  Did you try to purchase one or just wanted to use it without owning?  Using for what?  A different use than what the building was designed for?  These are things that can complicate the process which may be why they are not being cooperative.

Meh.  not really. Other cities have figured it out, but we haven't. For the City's purposes, it is better to have people and foot traffic generated by a space than it is for the building to remain vacant (at any price, really) The extra bodies keep the economic environment vital and support the remaining businesses until the spaces are leased (which the city refuses to do) or bought.

What's an example where a city has let people occupy an abandoned city-owned building without leasing it or buying space or have some sort of contract agreement?  Not saying you're wrong, just curious, seems like a liability issue.  And no I'm not a lawyer . . . . . not even close.
"The first man who, having enclosed a piece of ground, bethought himself of saying 'This is mine,' and found people simple enough to believe him, was the real founder of civil society." - Jean Jacques Rousseau

Bill Hoff

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 12:41:52 PM »
Timoti's should be open in a couple weeks. Tasty food, looking forward to it.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 04:38:07 PM »
According to Steve Williams' Facebook page (public post or I wouldn't have shared), tomorrow they're going to tear out the old storefront on the Peterson's/Fuel building. He also invited everyone to tag the temporary plywood.