Author Topic: Is this the South's most underrated downtown?  (Read 15459 times)

Know Growth

Re: Is this the South's most underrated downtown?
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2016, 07:54:05 PM »

The city limits are tightly drawn and no other city or area has wanted to incorporate for a long time.

Bingo-perhaps an element of success.

RWNeal

• Jacksonville Public Library Florida Collection
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2016, 10:27:45 AM »
It's soooo weird to see Greenville so nice and shiny and considered to be a great place. I grew up in the area, went to Furman in the early 90s and stayed in GVL for another year after graduation. Downtown was just turning around near the end of my time there. The previously mentioned Peace Center opened when I was a freshman and by the time I graduated, the area around it really was hopping. Aside from that, downtown was pretty similar to Jax at that time - older small retail, business-y hotels, boarded up storefronts, etc. There seemed to be more successful restaurants than here. Some (many?) even dared to stay open past lunch hours!

I feel a bit guilty - I'm in the area twice a year or so visiting my parents, but I haven't taken that 45 minute drive to Greenville in over a decade.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2020, 10:22:49 AM »
I got the San Marco Publix discussion onto a Greenville tangent. If a moderator could move the last couple of messages here that would be nice.

But to summarize, Greenville has become the focus of a possible move for us.

Just looking at what is being built ( in addition to what is all ready in place) , I am rather impressed.

Unfortunately, with Covid, we have no idea on when we will get up there and do real reconnaissance so for now I am visiting and trying to envision living in sone neighborhoods virtually :)

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 10:24:33 AM by sanmarcomatt »

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2020, 02:31:29 PM »

Greenville's a wonderful lil' city.  The Upcountry museum is a great regional gem.

Bativac

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2020, 01:06:57 PM »
I got the San Marco Publix discussion onto a Greenville tangent. If a moderator could move the last couple of messages here that would be nice.

Just looking at what is being built ( in addition to what is all ready in place) , I am rather impressed.

Unfortunately, with Covid, we have no idea on when we will get up there and do real reconnaissance so for now I am visiting and trying to envision living in sone neighborhoods virtually :)

My best friend, born and raised in the Lakewood area of Jax, moved to Greenville 15 years ago and never looked back. He and I were in town this weekend, his first visit in years, and he was shocked at the condition of things (esp that Publix site looking the same now as it did then)

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2020, 08:54:03 PM »

My best friend, born and raised in the Lakewood area of Jax, moved to Greenville 15 years ago and never looked back. He and I were in town this weekend, his first visit in years, and he was shocked at the condition of things (esp that Publix site looking the same now as it did then)

Yeah, that must be an interesting comparison for him. Talk about night and day.  I have just begun researching the history  of some of the various downtown  projects that helped transform the area and  considering the timeframe I cannot help but think of the better Jacksonville plan. I have been rather critical of that plan anyway...but now....I almost want to cry.

MusicMan

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2020, 10:52:41 PM »
It's not just SM Publix. Damn Berkman II been standing like a skeleton for 15 years as well.

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2020, 12:51:35 AM »

Saw your post in the other thread. Wow...losing SMM to Charleston...well there's no shame in that. But to Greenville?? It's like...did we really come out ahead after "stealing" the Southeastern Grocers HQ? Which city wins that trade?

btw, what did you mean by future retiree tax friendliness. Does SC have some changes in the works?

Charles Hunter

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2020, 08:06:01 AM »

btw, what did you mean by future retiree tax friendliness. Does SC have some changes in the works?

I read that as "tax friendliness to a future retiree"  not "retirees will see tax friendliness in the future"

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2020, 08:12:44 AM »

Saw your post in the other thread. Wow...losing SMM to Charleston...well there's no shame in that. But to Greenville?? It's like...did we really come out ahead after "stealing" the Southeastern Grocers HQ? Which city wins that trade?

Sorry, I worded the future retiree poorly. SC has a state income tax but the deductions sky rocket for age 65. With some simple repositioning of investments, we could probably get that tax bill down to zero. Combine that with property tax rates, and SC is one of the best states for retirees tax-wise. However, despite my  retired status, there is a long way to go before that age, so things get a little dicey tax wise. Especially since Roth conversions ( from traditional IRA)are the typical move for early retirees. SC also has the marriage penalty in their brackets so it could be a killer. Quality of life is a variety of factors and the financial piece is just one. But when you are trying to self fund a (hopefully) 50 year retirement, the financial factor is amplified in our decisions. Especially with what I anticipate to be repressed future investments returns.

So no tears yet, Jaxons! You may have me for a longer period of time.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2020, 09:38:12 AM »
Low tax rates - no wonder their Interstates are crap!

About that "marriage penalty" thing - y'all could divorce and "live in sin"!  :D

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2020, 10:08:01 AM »
Low tax rates - no wonder their Interstates are crap!

About that "marriage penalty" thing - y'all could divorce and "live in sin"!  :D

I always like creative thinking to avoid taxes, but the divorce may be too extreme...even for me.

I am hoping 26 Is decent in South Carolina as I expect we would be traveling that a ton. Few things  are more painful that the 95 transition from Georgia to SC.

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2020, 01:16:39 AM »

I read that as "tax friendliness to a future retiree"  not "retirees will see tax friendliness in the future"

Yes it had to be one of the two and as I've understood it they've both been retired for awhile (SMM's 9-5 consists of eating donuts and discussing finance with whomever doesn't want to*) hence why I interpreted it that way.

*he also attends RSSM meetings and watches Boston sports teams, but those things largely occur outside the 9-5.

Sorry, I worded the future retiree poorly. SC has a state income tax but the deductions sky rocket for age 65. With some simple repositioning of investments, we could probably get that tax bill down to zero. Combine that with property tax rates, and SC is one of the best states for retirees tax-wise. However, despite my  retired status, there is a long way to go before that age, so things get a little dicey tax wise. Especially since Roth conversions ( from traditional IRA)are the typical move for early retirees. SC also has the marriage penalty in their brackets so it could be a killer. Quality of life is a variety of factors and the financial piece is just one. But when you are trying to self fund a (hopefully) 50 year retirement, the financial factor is amplified in our decisions. Especially with what I anticipate to be repressed future investments returns.

So no tears yet, Jaxons! You may have me for a longer period of time.

Ahh ok. Interesting to know! I doubt my wife would ever consider SC, but I am always curious about different cities and appreciate these little nuggets of slightly under-the-radar wisdom.