Author Topic: Human Rights Ordinance: An Honest Discussion  (Read 4194 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Human Rights Ordinance: An Honest Discussion
« on: December 15, 2015, 01:35:02 PM »

CG7

Re: Human Rights Ordinance: An Honest Discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 04:28:25 PM »
All religions teach that you should treat others as you would want to be treated. However most religious people use their religion as an excuse to treat people in a manner they would most certainly not want to be treated. It is the thing that has perplexed me the most about religious faith. Discrimination of any kind is wrong....it really is that simple.

Redbaron616

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 08:43:29 AM »
This is nothing more than an effort to have the city's stamp of approval of transgenders, cross-dressers, and every other strange practice that humans can devise.

Redbaron616

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 08:45:26 AM »
This is nothing more than an effort to have the city's stamp of approval of transgenders, cross-dressers, and every other strange practice that humans can devise.

If you are a man and dress as a woman, why would I want to be around you? There is an American right of association and I don't care to associate with someone like that. It is not normal. I'm not going to chase you around and try to discriminate against you, but neither should you have a stamp of approval by the city either.

JaxNole

• Riverside Community Gardens
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 09:12:30 AM »

If you are a man and dress as a woman, why would I want to be around you? There is an American right of association and I don't care to associate with someone like that. It is not normal. I'm not going to chase you around and try to discriminate against you, but neither should you have a stamp of approval by the city either.

Thank you for validating the need for a fully-inclusive Human Rights Ordinance.

whyisjohngalt

• EPOCH
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 10:00:25 AM »
You make it sound like Chic Filet HQ would relocate to a city with HRO in place.  That's at least one named national HQ that would be glad the HRO hadn't passed.  Chic Filet is smart because they understand that the HRO is really a liability and makes companies/government more exposed for lawsuits.

Obviously people without businesses or even an interest in the govt not going bankrupt support the HRO.  If they want it to pass all they have to do is get one of these Fortune 500 companies to knock on the mayor's office and say we'll move here and bring x jobs if you fast track the HRO.  Otherwise, the HRO is a risk and the position that we can't compete with other cities that have an HRO is not reality.  No company has explicitly stated that is why - just supporters putting those words into their mouths.

InnerCityPressure

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 10:16:07 AM »
I'm not going to chase you around and try to discriminate against you, but neither should you have a stamp of approval by the city either.

This is the point.  You don't have to approve them; just don't discriminate.  The city is "approving" nothing except for equality.

whyisjohngalt

• EPOCH
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 10:18:22 AM »
Actions speak louder than words.  Mama always said that.

UNFurbanist

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 10:57:45 AM »
It always amazes me how uneducated people can be on this topic. It's like Jax is the first one to do this or something. News flash it has happened basically everywhere else and Jax is the last pocket of resistance. Just like with gay marriage (which is legal in Jax and everywhere btw) the sky isn't going to fall when HRO comes to town. It isn't going to affect anyone's lives except those who are currently discriminated against so just stop it already. If you hate gay people, fine whatever but that doesn't give you an excuse to allow their lives to potentially be ruined based on some religiously imposed view point. My mom is a super conservative working in a small business in Orlando and she didn't even know they had LGBT protections. Hasn't effected her in the slightest. Live and let live people. Being obsessed about what happens in other people's bedrooms is beyond strange.

Spitfire

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 01:21:22 PM »

Thank you for validating the need for a fully-inclusive Human Rights Ordinance.

+1