Author Topic: Reflections From St. Johns Riverkeeper  (Read 2787 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Reflections From St. Johns Riverkeeper
« on: November 07, 2015, 03:00:02 AM »
Reflections From St. Johns Riverkeeper

From EU Jacksonville: Shannon Blankinship, Outreach Director for St. Johns Riverkeeper, on "The Year of the River" an initiative by Cultural Fusion Jax bringing together more than 50 institutions to raise awareness of the St. Johns River as the “cultural current” of Jacksonville and an important driver for economic development, recreation, tourism and quality of life throughout Northeast Florida.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2015-nov-reflections-from-st-johns-riverkeeper

I-10east

Re: Reflections From St. Johns Riverkeeper
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 10:38:39 AM »
It's fitting that wikipedia's featured article on 11/8/15 is none other than the St Johns River. :)

« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 12:06:49 AM by I-10east »

Know Growth

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 10:20:16 PM »
....a couple of inches of rain today over the Fishweir Creek Watershed and predictably, heightened flow,and a stream of trash flowing to the big river.
Will require big $$$$$$$$$ fix.
In the meantime,the trash parade mocks......

Time will tell............... ;)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 10:30:15 PM by Know Growth »

Overstreet

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 11:48:22 AM »
Know Growth.........you've been spending way too much time with Noone. Neither of you make much sense sometimes. It's like there was something missing.

However you did hit on a point. Heavy rains and extreme high tides create more trash flows for the rivers. Cups, bags, togo boxes, trash bags (with trash) float down the storm drains, dislodge from banks and find the way into the river. Some days the amount is staggering. I've filled 30 gallon trash cans on the single days trash that floats by the dock.  Some comes from litter bugs in boats, some from litterbugs in cars, some flys out of trash trucks, some floats out of yards. But the human generated trash is often out of hand.

When I arrived in town thirty years ago my inlaws told me of times in the 30 and 40s when the "trash" after a rain included buildings, cows, and other dead bodies.  We've cleaned up the flooding problems of that age. We just need to pick up our trash of today's culture.

Know Growth

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 09:08:33 PM »
 We All Deserve A Good Paddling  8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 09:30:58 PM by Know Growth »

Know Growth

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 09:25:59 PM »
Sit Tight Overstreet.Your inlaws proved total failures as to perceived/action item River impact observations.It's still flowing.They can simply Join The Cub,some of us now really need to buckle down,get that good ol European work ethic (crab meat for sale!)  Don't add to ridiculous useless river advocate discourse. Stay Still,good for you.Nothing to do with Noone,had him figured out at about meeting two,per record and MJ "Noone Trifecta" post.He is wonderful,even if in fact certifiably side-lined. I never get bogged down with Baggage.  8). Noone easily presented as sacrificial Lamb/Kayak. Thank you for swallowing hook line and sinker.

Get Smart.

I once held FWF Vice Chair position,furious battles with Mayor Delaney. kind'a  8),the Mayor eventually handed me an award,worth hundreds,in front of hundreds.He knew I was still pissed and would have more to direct.That's why the Mayor's Mimi & Lee Adams Environmental Luncheon award committee shoved me down Delaney's throat. That was so dang easy.Noone paddles but a diversion.

So glad to see Lisa/RK eventually......finally....RK matured,strong Board, linked to the Florida Wildlife Federation,Amendment 1 et al ,after RK having been deemed "weak" during my FWF tenunure.

You have obviously missed the key significance of Mayor Delaney River Summit #2-promotion of River System surface water growth/development WITHDRAWAL!!!!! Sit tight.,paddle furiously.Sniff the Floatsom,ignore the Noone MJ endless energy you have grasped. Useless vapors.

McCoys Creek,Hogans Creek,Fishweir Creek  (for starters) restoration are now the Little Creek Big Face of River Restoration. Period.

Simply follow,or lead Fishweir,Hogans and/or McCoys trash management/restoration" efforts.Ignore all other river vapors,smells,curiosity or seemingly well meaning call to action. The small creeks are the big face of river advocacy,'education'.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 08:09:19 PM by Know Growth »