Author Topic: FDOT plans $13 million project for State/Union Streets  (Read 3192 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
FDOT plans $13 million project for State/Union Streets
« on: October 30, 2015, 03:00:03 AM »

strider

Re: FDOT plans $13 million project for State/Union Streets
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 07:04:40 AM »
As I understand it, the work done by FDOT is mostly about moving traffic through an area.  Is this still true?  Also, while I know many people have advocated for the single block of Main Street to be converted back to two way traffic, can someone explain what the positives of that will be?
"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." Patrica, Joe VS the Volcano.

Jax Friend

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 07:17:28 AM »
It's good to see money going into the area. I do wish the focus would be on pedestrian connectivity. I live in Springfield and am a pretty avid runner. It seems that any route into downtown is riddled with obstacles, or is down right scary to the average passerby; overgrown landscaping, flooded streets, broken sidewalks, missing portions of side walks, no street lights, and of course heavy traffic on State and Union... I could go on. Its almost seems to be the intentional goal to create a barrier between downtown and Springfield.

strider, it may not seem like much but making that portion of road two-ways will change traffic flow considerably. I live east of Main, If can skip turning left on Ocean , Newnan or Market, bring it. Those roads are narrow and for the past few weeks flooded.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 07:44:49 AM by Jax Friend »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 08:52:19 AM »
^At one point, there was an intentional attempt to divide them based on racial undertones.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Bill Hoff

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 09:49:52 AM »
Big thanks to Christina Parrish, SPAR Council Executive Director, for initiating the Main Street conversion several years ago, while working with SAMBA & the Urban Core CPAC. Patience is a virtue.

finehoe

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 12:18:04 PM »
Seems like a perfect opportunity to add a BRT component for future use.  No doubt FDOT is on it.  ::)

Jax Friend

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 06:00:13 PM »
^At one point, there was an intentional attempt to divide them based on racial undertones.

I remember the article that MJ did on the topic. I completely agree. There are physical barriers in place holding back the development of downtown and Springfield. I like to refer to that area as the Borderlands. There is no sense of place and no single group that really seems to take responsibility for it. Downtown Vision refers to it as the periphery, Springfield rejects it completely, and most people blaze through it on State and Union. I have probably said it on here before, but I think one of the biggest barriers to downtown success is the lack of connectivity between these two areas. These are two of the most culturally significant areas in the city. We are still licking the wounds of racial discrimination, though I do believe Jacksonville is in a good position for seeing those types of tensions wane.

Jumpinjack

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 12:10:39 PM »
Seems like FDOT will handle dangerous conditions by making sidewalk repairs. I thought these two roads near the college and the bus station were one of the highest pedestrian and bicycle injury and death locations in the county. Is FDOT aware of this problem?

tufsu1

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 12:54:54 PM »
^ yes, but it seems pretty clear that FDOT believes moving vehicles is more important