Author Topic: News4Jax: Eureka Gardens’ Residents Upset, Make Demands  (Read 4156 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
News4Jax: Eureka Gardens’ Residents Upset, Make Demands
« on: September 30, 2015, 02:00:02 PM »
News4Jax: Eureka Gardens’ Residents Upset, Make Demands

Residents of Christian ministry owned apartment complex, Eureka Gardens, upset over the state of disrepair and neglect of property.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2015-sep-news4jax-eureka-gardens-residents-upset-make-demands

coredumped

• Huge Member
Re: News4Jax: Eureka Gardens’ Residents Upset, Make Demands
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 04:21:45 PM »
While these conditions sound terrible, and no one should have to live in them for any period of time, HUD housing is not to be used as permanent housing. It would be in the residents best interest for them to find a new location to live.
Jags season ticket holder.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 04:59:26 PM »
Mission
HUD’s mission is to create strong, sustainable, inclusive communities and quality affordable homes for all. HUD is working to strengthen the housing market to bolster the economy and protect consumers; meet the need for quality affordable rental homes; utilize housing as a platform for improving quality of life; build inclusive and sustainable communities free from discrimination, and transform the way HUD does business.

Emphasis mine.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

coredumped

• Huge Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 05:41:54 PM »
Stephen, do you also think McDonald's is a job that should pay $30k and be a career?
These things should only be used temporarily, while working towards something better.
Jags season ticket holder.

TheCat

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 06:02:13 PM »
Stephen, do you also think McDonald's is a job that should pay $30k and be a career?
These things should only be used temporarily, while working towards something better.

I hear this "argument" a lot...we all do, I'm sure. It's strangely, "communist" sounding to me.

As though, "don't you get it. we have planned the united states economy. These jobs are for temporary positions, not for careers. Those jobs over there, well, those are only for new college graduates, so they should only make under $40k, obviously."

Do you feel the same way about shift managers? Or, what about store managers?

Tell me where is the cut-off? When does a job at McDonald's become a viable career choice? Let's make sure we have clearly delineated and planned this segment of the economy.

But, how does this relate to Eureka gardens, exactly?

ricker

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 06:30:37 PM »
Debate regarding temp. vs. perm. aside;
Having personally canvassed Eureka numerous times in the past, door-to-door, up and down each stairwell, finding the majority of residents home and willing to open their doors, ready to  invite you right on inside to see and smell the mold in otherwise clean quarters (i.e. clean fridges, empty sinks, scrubbed commodes, mopped floors, etc.), the living conditions are not what most might expect as you drive by and look on from the exterior along  LaBelle, Plymouth, Hollycrest.

Simple dump truck logic: These concrete structures aren't going to fall in on their own anytime soon on their own.

If Sustainability is key, and proximity to Kent campus and amenities like convenient bus routes, etc., remain, a long standing question among many is:
How do we help urge the holding group to do the math to see the  feasiblility in  rehabbing  and beginning the necessary asbestos(?), mold, and lead(?) remediation measures beginning within these units block by block with the end goal of possibly eventually  making them market rate(?), or keeping them as rental units? Could they be condos? Serve as Dorms? Plymouth St ties this community directly to FSCJ Kent.

As the JEDC continues to hopefully succeed in their aim to make the CBD of our DownTown a lovely place to live, work, stay, play.. its stands to reason that the inner-most ring of neighboring communities will once again rise in popularity and perhaps even increase in density and monetary value.

As we move just a few miles further out from the City center, we find communities like OakTree, Riveria North and Riviera South, and Eureka, all associated with the Jacksonville Housing Authority.

The Community formerly known as Nia Terrace which sits east of the Fire Station on Jammes Rd., just immediately  south of San Juan Ave., and also fronts a portion of Hyde Park Rd underwent a transformation and is seeing better days with happier residents.

Longtime residents of Confederate Point, Cedar Hills and Hyde Park/Hyde Grove (Mt.Vernon area near former London Town-now Canterbury Gardens), and the area near Coastal Creek Condos, along with many in Murray Hill east from Alpha and Kingsbury/Lenox Court, and many within Lake Shore, so many of us all share  a dream of Cassat, Lenox, Blanding at least north of the abandoned KMart near Harlow, and San Juan Ave seeing more vibrant times, and also see the current conditions of Eureka Gardens and the effect the stigma has had on the area as a major and yet altogether avoidable detractor which has drawn potential choice residents away from these areas in such desperate need of infill, not increased vacancy.

Im sum, Residents of Eureka are NOT alone!

Murray Hill and Lake Shore may have a fighting chance at seeing brighter times ahead given the lay of the land and the fact that many of their major roads tie directly in to Avondale, Riverside, 5Points, Brooklyn, Downtown, and Ortega_
but these multifamily communities and the living conditions associated with each need to be brought out into the light of day for the average resident of the adjacent wealthier areas to take notice.

THANK YOU Thank you MJ for this exposing article as it may be one of the only ways for contiguous affected neighboring residents to be able see the complete other end of the spectrum of the living conditions with which very nearby fellow Jacksonville residents contend.

Yes I serve on the board of a neighborhood improvement group non-profit 501c  for Lake Shore, but my goal here is not strictly to benefit ONE area OVER another.
MHPA, RAP, and LAPS can all together stand to benefit  once we all find it VITAL  that everything east of I-295, certainly east of Old Middleburg, or moving closer in at least east of Lane Ave eventually  be viewed as a desirable place to call home.
(The sooner the better.)

Sure, each pocket is different and might always attract folks from differing age groups, cultural backgrounds, and so on, but to RED LINE an area (which is what these residents feel like is happening) is STRICTLY ILLEGAL.

Fair housing laws provide trigger terms and this matter will not go away quietly, so I have been told.

Last night we held our Quarterly Community meeting and were met by two officers from JSO who initially responded to our call about an abandoned vehicle with damage and bullet holes. These self proclaimed "old-timers" responding officers stayed a while and dished quite unexpectedly, unsolicited yet indescribably helpful. A lot can be learned about the behaviors of our City "Leaders" when cultivating and maintaining a close working relationship with our police force.

Just because you CAN afford to pay north of $350k for a well manicured beautiful historic home doesn't mean you will WANT to when the thriving crime is allowed to persist less than a mile away.

What can we do to help the neighbors who don't have moving as an option?
Stephen Dare, your above remark that the residents who don't like Eureka should just relocate is not representative of your impressive intellect.

Having worked as a relocation associate for one of the area's largest and at the time most prolific Real Estate Construction and Management firms specializing in Multi-Family Development, I personally know  it isn't THAT easy.

When a single parent  struggling to simply  keep the lights on, food on the table, shoes on growing feet, CANNOT get a call back from her contact at the Housing Authority, simply packing up and living on a bus or under a bridge is not your recommendation, I am sure.

You DO have a sympathetic heart within you - I HAVE to believe this, otherwise in my mind it stands to reason you wouldn't have ever had a hand in focusing on keeping this forum alive and well.

Please enlighten us as to what you REALLY meant..?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 12:15:01 AM by stephendare »

goldy21

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 07:28:11 PM »
I know the previous owners very well.  They tried SO hard to make that community a better place.  They had all sorts of community programs like coordinating police outreach, children's activities, neighborhood watch, etc.  It was just a constant, uphill battle.  They worked to keep criminals out--for example, their residents were all background checked--but the residents had shady family members and friends that would show up and cause trouble.  Total mess.

I-10east

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 09:26:57 PM »
I call Lenox Court (where I used to live) Eureka Gardens West, because that's what it turned into.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 03:34:46 AM »

are you serious?  Yes. I think anyone working anywhere for forty hours a week should be able to make a basic living.

you don't?

I agree. It's a fantasy to assume that there are other, "better" jobs that are out there and that McDonalds is just a "starter job" you do to pay your dues or whatever. It's silly. The world isn't like that. Yes, some people may be able to move on to better-paying jobs. But what's sad is that McDonalds and other fast food places aren't only staffed by kids in school looking to earn some pocket money or save up for a first car - these jobs are oftentimes held by adults with families to support.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Know Growth

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 11:03:02 PM »

In fact,many "long time" residents of the area have simply bailed out- gone- moved.

I recently engaged with a Lake Shore home owner of 40 years,place on Cedar Creek- Gettin' Outta There. Interesting discourse.

Eureka!!!   We Have Found "It".....

ricker

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 11:19:52 PM »
Stephen, you are COrrect, I apologize, it was Coredumped who recommended residents just move, not you.

I was typing in haste. My mistake.

In sum, I take my volunteer work seriously and have empathy for the residents of sick buildings.  No real enlightenment..