Author Topic: Houston Is Next City’s 2016 Vanguard City  (Read 2032 times)

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
Houston Is Next City’s 2016 Vanguard City
« on: September 21, 2015, 04:05:26 PM »
One of the cities I've been meaning to go back and visit. I'm putting this event on my 2016 calendar!

https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/next-city-vanguard-2016-city-news

Downtown Houston

Ennis,

Next City’s annual gathering of the best and brightest young urban leaders will meet in Houston, May 10-13, 2016, to tackle challenges in the nation’s fourth-largest city.

We are thrilled to select Houston as the site for our Vanguard 2016 conference. We look forward to bringing brilliant and committed young urban leaders to Houston to inspire change in this amazing city and cities around the world.

With its booming growth and increasingly urban orientation, Houston is an ideal place for the 2016 Next City Vanguard conference. (To learn more about how the city is tackling an urbanist agenda, read our recent coverage of Houston’s transit revamp, the Bayou Greenways park project, and pro-transit, pro-density, and pro-immigration Democrat Mayor Annise Parker.)

The Vanguard program will be run by Next City in cooperation with a committee of local hosts led by Rice University’s Kinder Institute for Urban Research. The host committee includes representatives of the city of Houston, the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Houston Hackathon, the University of Texas School of Public Health, the Houston Parks Board and many other local organizations from the public and private sectors.

Applications for the 2016 Vanguard conference will be open from October 1, 2015 through December 15, 2015. The only requirement is that applicants must be 40 or younger. The application fee is $35, but a reduced early bird fee of $25 is available until November 20th. Visit our application page in the coming weeks to apply.

For more on Vanguard and our decision to host this year's conference in Houston, please see our full announcement (https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/next-city-vanguard-2016-city-news).

Sincerely,
Tom Dallessio AICP/PP/FRSA
President, CEO & Publisher

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
Re: Houston Is Next City’s 2016 Vanguard City
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 03:14:17 PM »
Having a good time hanging out with some of the smartest people engaged in enhancing cities across the US and Canada in Houston this week.  Some of the more interesting phrases and concepts discussed over the last two days include....

PIBBY - Placed in Black's Back Yards

Environmental Justice in the era of climate change: Why Equity Matters

Avoid being ontology secure

The most important indicator of health is zip code

It's not enough to diversify the organization. Why have to diversify the money

Our success in urban revitalization should be based on allowing a vulnerable population to thrive

Here's a few random pics taken so far...

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

tufsu1

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 10:10:39 PM »
^ I am personally interested in this "Visit Ennis" thing ;)

Noone

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 07:24:53 AM »

+1

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 09:10:34 AM »

Cool name for a city...

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 09:19:48 AM »
A few more random pics...