Author Topic: 5 Jacksonville Landing Fun Facts  (Read 5006 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
5 Jacksonville Landing Fun Facts
« on: September 11, 2015, 10:15:23 AM »
5 Jacksonville Landing Fun Facts

From the Jacksonville Landing: Five cool facts about Jax's iconic water front property.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2015-apr-5-jacksonville-landing-fun-facts

coredumped

• Huge Member
Re: 5 Jacksonville Landing Fun Facts
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 10:33:40 AM »
Both those links to discussions started in 2013, I wish something was moving forward with the landing.
Jags season ticket holder.

Know Growth

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 07:03:04 PM »
Both those links to discussions started in 2013, I wish something was moving forward with the landing.

10/4!

Right now, when boaters are visiting from out of town I have learned to tone down past enthusiasm about the Landing and now tersely note that the area is in a state of renovation.

Better to hear visitors exclaim "Great Potential!" rather than "Huh?"........

Not So Fun Fact:Vessel owners wishing to stay at the Landing Docks overnight are referred to the Waterway's Coordinator, placed elsewhere.

Certainly the waterfront is too valuable for private residence. Probably better to be in Limbo rather than proceeding with development concept made in a collective state of mind, political scenario which was not going to last or prove appropriate.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 10:15:39 PM by Know Growth »

Bativac

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 12:32:24 AM »
"Five of The Landing’s tenants have been here since The Landing opened in 1987."

Which five? Coastal Cookie, Hooters, and....? I know the Toy Factory was one, until they closed earlier this year. I can't think of any others that have been there since the place opened.

mtraininjax

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 04:57:39 AM »
I like the Landing the way it is, but we need to tear down and rebuild to meet what we think is needed. The real issue with the landing is that downtown has slowly died off since it was built, fewer and fewer residents go there, and instead go to SJTC. Call it fear over downtown or whatever, the downtown area needs to be fixed and offer more to residents as a destination, for more people to come to the Landing. Its a tough sell to suburbanites.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 08:44:37 AM »

Rendering of a renovated Bayside. Retail will be added along Biscayne Boulevard to better integrate the center with the rest of downtown.

The Landing went down the tubes a decade before SJTC ever opened, so that place certainly isn't the issue. Nevertheless, I'd agree that the downfall of downtown has had a significant negative impact on the shopping center. Bayside Marketplace in DT Miami is a similar designed structure from the same era. It's cut off more from downtown Miami then the Landing is from DT Jax. However, it benefits from having continued investment, a marina, and a cruise port not too far away. It already looks 1000 times better than the Landing and to keep it relevant, owner General Growth is paying for its $27 million renovation.

Skyrise is being built at Bayside now. Skyrise's developer will have to pay rent to Bayside and contribute +$1 million annually to the City of Miami to lease the land for 99 years.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Sentient

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 11:29:31 AM »
I like the Landing the way it is, but we need to tear down and rebuild to meet what we think is needed. The real issue with the landing is that downtown has slowly died off since it was built, fewer and fewer residents go there, and instead go to SJTC. Call it fear over downtown or whatever, the downtown area needs to be fixed and offer more to residents as a destination, for more people to come to the Landing. Its a tough sell to suburbanites.

It's not fear of downtown, it's just there is not much to do there.  SJTC works because it allows a family of 5 (40 YO Mom and Dad, 13 and 15 YO girls and a 8 YO boy for example) to go somewhere, get some chore stuff done like hit Target and Dick's for errands, and kill some time walking around (Apple store, A&F, F21 shops for the teens etc.) or having a beer or a coffee.  Everyone gets to do something from Dad down to Jr and it's also productive.  And lot's of places to grab a meal at different price points. 

Try this, take the hypothetical family above and spend 3 hours on a Saturday 3 weeks in a row downtown, then 3 weeks in a row at SJTC.  Which one is a huge time suck and you have hit it all by the 4th weekend and struggle to find things to satisfy the whole family, and which one is productive and still offers lot's of unexplored options by the fourth Saturday and everyone is still up for a trip?

Until downtown can compete on this basis, it's going to be at best a nightlife spot for a drinking crowd.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 01:08:02 PM »
One thing that stands out in my travels is our tendency to continue to believe that downtown competes with SJTC.  In many of our peer cities, you don't see this sentiment expressed as much. Downtown doesn't compete with SJTC. They are two different animals. Every mid size to major city has multiple SJTC's. They truly come a dime a dozen.  Just look at the list of malls owned by Simon (http://www.simon.com/mall). There's several other major retail development companies with lists just as long. At the end of the day, downtown is a neighborhood. If we look at it, treat it, plan and implement in that sense, as opposed to comparing it with a shopping center with a single owner, it will turn around faster than most of us can image.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali