Author Topic: Atlanta turns to streetcar; development follows  (Read 2581 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Atlanta turns to streetcar; development follows
« on: September 03, 2015, 03:00:02 AM »
Atlanta turns to streetcar; development follows

Recently Atlanta joined the ranks of American cities investing in new fixed transit systems. Streetcars were phased out of existence on Atlanta's streets in 1949. On December 30, 2014, the city welcomed them back with open arms.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2015-sep-atlanta-turns-to-streetcar-development-follows

dbjax

Re: Atlanta turns to streetcar; development follows
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 03:04:37 PM »
I know this is unlikely to happen here, but what about a 3 mile loop from the courthouse at Pearl/Duval down to Water then Bay by the Hyatt, to A. Philip Randolph and back up Duval? I think this would be a solid circuit that could really connect the core of the city with the Elbow and Stadium districts, new Intuition location, Shipyards and Hemming Park. There would be multiple tie-ins to the existing Skyway and would go right by the major (and potentially future) hotels, Convention center (via Skyway), business high-rises and provide for feeder parking on the outskirts.

I can't quite figure out how to post an image here or I would...

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 03:20:45 PM »
1.Upload your image to a photo host site like http://www.photobucket.com or https://secure.photobucket.com/register.

2. When typing a message, click the "Insert Image" icon.

3. Insert your image's URL address between the image icon brackets. It should look like this:

[ img ] image url address here [ /img ]

4. ^Just make sure there are no spaces between the brackets and the URL address and your image should show up.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

dbjax

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 03:28:39 PM »
Thanks, Lake!

A visual image of what I was going for... I know it's all pie-in-the-sky now, but could really be a boost for the eastern end of DT.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 03:47:08 PM »
I'd recommend taking the loop's total distance of 2.9 miles and stretching it out as a single 2.9-mile bi-directional line, with occasional passing sidings. Doing that, you'd serve the same downtown destinations and be able to push a mile north into Springfield, for the same cost.  Assuming the Skyway's vehicles will have to be replaced in five years, you could replace the Skyway vehicles with higher capacity vehicles that can also run at-grade in the street.  Going that route, you'd have a single system that uses the Skyway's existing 2.5 miles of elevated infrastructure. You could then expand the "Skyway" in every direction with the choice of going elevated or at-grade, depending on where you need to go and what you want to serve.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 03:52:09 PM »
I'd recommend taking the loop's total distance of 2.9 miles and stretching it out as a single 2.9-mile bi-directional line, with occasional passing sidings. Doing that, you'd serve the same downtown destinations and be able to push a mile north into Springfield, for the same cost.  Assuming the Skyway's vehicles will have to be replaced in five years, you could replace the Skyway vehicles with higher capacity vehicles that can also run at-grade in the street.  Going that route, you'd have a single system that uses the Skyway's existing 2.5 miles of elevated infrastructure. You could then expand the "Skyway" in every direction with the choice of going elevated or at-grade, depending on where you need to go and what you want to serve.

Brilliant! I love this.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

dbjax

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 04:06:10 PM »

I can see where this would be valuable, but now you incur significant cost in retrofitting the Skyway and creating on/off ramps to the elevated routes. If we are looking for a consolidated long-term solution, this would be a good one.

As we are approaching end-of-life for the Skyway anyway, do we consider knocking it down instead of retrofit, and converting all to a streetcar system? Which would have the best rate of return?

The question is, ultimately, if we have the wherewithal to bring this to reality.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 04:34:58 PM »
Based off the Jax Daily Record article earlier this week, it appears that the Skyway cost is coming anyway:

Despite the ups and down, the Skyway has arrived at a critical juncture in its lifetime.

The infrastructure is mostly solid. The vehicles used to ferry people throughout Downtown are not.

But, only six of the 10 vehicles remain in service and have a lifespan of another five years or so. That means the Jacksonville Transportation Authority has a tough question to answer — one with a high price tag, regardless of the direction it goes.

“It’s one of the most challenging questions this team faces,” said Nathaniel Ford, JTA’s CEO.

An answer, the JTA has determined, can come in one of four forms: overhaul it, buy new vehicles, decommission the system or repurpose it.

http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=546033

Five years will be here before we know it. Seems like a perfect opportunity to implement a long term urban core transit strategy!

UNFurbanist

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 07:23:07 PM »
Lake, do you have any contact with JTA officials? Are they aware of the street car to skyway ramp idea/possibility? I really like the idea a lot and really think that officials need to be pushed to look into this option. On a general note you really need to be involved with city operations more, if you aren't already, based on your knowledge of good urbanism.