Author Topic: Are we prepared for an oil crisis?  (Read 2738 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Are we prepared for an oil crisis?
« on: June 18, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »
Are we prepared for an oil crisis?

How does Jacksonville stack up when compared with the 50 largest U.S. cities in a recent study on areas best able to cope with high oil prices?

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/822

Joe

Re: Are we prepared for an oil crisis?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 02:06:57 PM »
It's a bit of a flawed metric though.

It isolates the impact of an oil crisis on transportation costs - where Jacksonville will obviously rank rock-bottom. However, a true oil crisis would cause huge shocks throughout the entire economy, which this ranking doesn't measure.

Jacksonville's low cost of living, low tax rates, and relatively robust business friendly community can help dampen the shock of how ill-prepared our transit infrastructure is. Conversely, some of the "well prepared" cities on that list might suffer smaller transportation burdens, but their general economic strength is in a more tenuous position.

vicupstate

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

second_pancake

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 08:58:31 AM »
Hells yeah!  My husband and I did the same thing as one of the people interviewed when looking for a house in the DFW area.  We put a dot where his office is and drew a 15 mile circle around it and that's where we began our search (we did this after we made the "easy" drive that everyone told us about from Fort Worth to the office ::)...not so freakin easy).

The area that we decided on has off-road bike paths (they run along the side of the road in many areas for a direct route), and is just a few miles from the nearest commuter rail station that connects with the DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit).  Unfortunately, the extension of the DART directly into his business center has not begun yet, but with the way the set-up is now it will still allow us to take trips into Dallas without having to use the car. And the way the bike paths are connected, we can ride the 20 miles from where we've settled all the way into downtown Fort Worth by bike.

Our requirements were to have a close-knit community feel, good biking routes, near-by recreation, within walking distance of a coffee shop, grocery store and other retail, as well as night-life like a local bar or club.  We're actually setting ourselves up to get rid of one of the cars altogether.
"What objectivity and the study of philosophy requires is not an 'open mind,' but an active mind - a mind able and eagerly willing to examine ideas, but to examine them criticially."

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 12:44:28 PM »
April 1, 2008

There Is No Gas Shortage

But Washington, Wall Street, and ethanol and oil and gas companies want you to think there is, says automotive expert Ed Wallace

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/apr2008/bw2008041_945564.htm

Sept 22, 2008

Gas shortage makes finding fuel a challenge

Gas remained hard to find around much of metro Atlanta on Monday morning, as lingering supply complications in the wake of two hurricanes had many motorists driving miles out of their way in a search for fuel.

Overnight deliveries replenished supplies, at least partially, at some stations that were closed Sunday. But others remained dry. And some that did have fuel, like the Shell station at Clairmont and North Decatur roads near Decatur, were running out as cars lined up during the morning rush hour.

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories/2008/09/21/atlanta_gas_pumps_low.html

Sept 29, 2008

Frustration in the South as a Gasoline Shortage Drags On

ATLANTA — As a gasoline shortage in the South drags through its second week, drivers have gone from being mildly annoyed to deeply frustrated, with lines hours long at service stations in Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/30/us/30gas.html

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 01:06:32 PM »
Sure we are, we already have a glut of train service with 2 trains a day from Amtrak rolling into town. Bottom line, if we could just get rid of Amtrak and JTA, the local budget would let us sink oil wells on the steps of the St. James Building and Hemming Plaza. Safe at last!

OCKLAWAHA

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 04:15:13 PM »
To help alleviate any oil crisis the clear choice is to exploit all of our own resources... :)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

alta

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 05:23:25 PM »
What oil crisis?  Since moving to the urban core I ride my bike to work.  Seriously we need to drill domestically, und alternative energy and conserve as much as possible.  This would decrease some of the 12 of the 20 million barrels we import from mostly countries that want to wipe us off the face of the earth. 

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 05:29:10 PM »
What oil crisis?  Since moving to the urban core I ride my bike to work.

Thats nice but IF we were to have an oil shock you might not have a job to bike to...  Am all for alternatives and conservation but if the spigot were turned off tommorrow we would be in dire straights... Bike or no bike.
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

alta

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 05:38:50 PM »
Yeah for our democrat congress that doesn't want to drill offshore and in Anwar or the oil shail deposits in the Rocky Mountain region.  No since exploring nuclear either.  It works for France but we can't do it?  lol  Make sure you get your tires inflated and get your tune up.  That will make up for the difference.   

chipwich

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 02:05:05 AM »
Bloomberg had David Bensimon of Polar Pacific Capital on last night.

He has been very accurate in his projections over the past 5 years or so.  He redicted oil would peak at $147 and so forth.  Anyways.. he predicts oil prices will drop to $80/ barrel between now and April '09, he thinks prices will then shoot up to $200/ barrel by December '09 and then go back down to average $109/ barrel in 2010.

Here is the kicker... his models predict a strong upswing in prices from 2011 onward to 2015.  I know it is ridiculous to guess the price of something 7 years from now, but his models predict that oil will be $470/ barrel by 2015.  That would be $12-13 a gallon gas here in the states

Even if this guy is way off, it doesn't hurt to be thinking of a transportation infrastructure that will allow us to reduce using our cars to get around everywhere.