Author Topic: How Jax Compares: The Different Faces of Density  (Read 10990 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
How Jax Compares: The Different Faces of Density
« on: August 05, 2015, 03:00:02 AM »
How Jax Compares: The Different Faces of Density

Density comes in all shapes, forms and sizes. Here's how some of Jacksonville's most popular neighborhoods compare in density with select walkable neighborhoods in well known American cities.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2015-aug-how-jax-compares-the-different-faces-of-density

tufsu1

Re: How Jax Compares: The Different Faces of Density
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 08:07:38 AM »
well done....gives people a real quick look at what density is and isn't!

vicupstate

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 08:12:02 AM »
The Jacksonville The Space In Between tract is an anomaly, as the Jail is skewing the numbers by a huge margin. None of those 'residents' will be walking around or patronizing businesses.   
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 08:15:40 AM »
I need to see if the jail is included in that number or not. Or if it's bolstered by the shape of that tract, which includes several high rise senior living buildings and public housing.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 09:24:15 AM »
Looks like the jail accounts for roughly 1/3rd of Jax's census tract 1's population.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 09:39:24 AM »
well done....gives people a real quick look at what density is and isn't!

The images below pretty much captures the type of neighborhood/housing density I personally prefer and was looking for when I first came to town:

Lakeview - Chicago

The Fan - Richmond

Midtown - Detroit (built density is there but half of the buildings are still empty)

Roughly 20k to 30k residents per square mile. A far cry from the +100k packing parts of NYC or the +50k living in downtown Miami highrise condos, but significantly more packed than what's currently available in Jax. Pedestrian scale, with a "little" yard/courtyard space, in a housing type that has no one living on top or below you.

Looking at the local landscape, it seems that the erased neighborhoods (Brooklyn, LaVilla, Sugar Hill, Cathedral District, etc.) have future potential for infill to reach such density levels (I suspect they had such density levels prior to 1950).  If places like Richmond and Norfolk can maintain small pockets of such density, Jax should be able too. Probably not in my lifetime (or at least where I'm of age to enjoy it), but at some point in the distant future.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 09:42:38 AM by thelakelander »

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 10:07:26 AM »
Lavilla/ Brooklyn prob would have been comparable to Savannah.  Great job on this.  Very enlightening

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 10:11:58 AM »
Looks like the jail accounts for roughly 1/3rd of Jax's census tract 1's population.

So where do the other 2/3rds of them live? The apartment towers?
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 10:12:28 AM »
I really like Durkeeville.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 10:30:43 AM »

So where do the other 2/3rds of them live? The apartment towers?

Centennial Towers, Centennial Townhouses East, Mary Singleton Senior Citizens Center, Liberty Center, 2 of the 3 Cathedral Towers, Stevens Duval Apartments, etc. There's also a decent collection of single family housing sandwiched between 1st Street and Old City cemetery and in the Cathedral District east of Liberty Street.  Other than a few old school pockets, such as E Church Street, opposite the Parks at Cathedral townhomes, its pretty autocentric style development.

E Church Street (Cathedral District)

urbanlibertarian

• Duuuvaall!!
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 11:00:10 AM »
Come to think of it, don't those Duval County Pre-trial Detention Center inmates have a lot in common with all the wannabe urbanists trapped in suburbia by pro-developer autocentric government policy?

<sarcasm alert> ;)
Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes (Who watches the watchmen?)

AngryChicken

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 02:16:43 PM »
Chinatown New York City is one of the worst places on Earth. Its filthy. It smells like glazed duck and four day old fish. And you don't have an inch of personal space to yourself.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 02:25:55 PM »
Chinatown New York City is one of the worst places on Earth. Its filthy. It smells like glazed duck and four day old fish. And you don't have an inch of personal space to yourself.

I always liked it, to be honest. But it's not like I would necessarily want to spend lots and lots of time there. I hate crowds - but I suppose it's fun in small doses for the spectacle.

I enjoyed Pearl River Mart - is it still there? Chinatown in London irritates me - but that's probably because it's basically in Soho, which is like the third circle of hell or something.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

AngryChicken

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 02:47:50 PM »
It's a great place to visit and witness. Ttry working in the area and commuting on Canal st. for a couple of years and tell me how you like it.

Pearl Paint was there the last time I visited!  Cool store.

I always liked it, to be honest. But it's not like I would necessarily want to spend lots and lots of time there. I hate crowds - but I suppose it's fun in small doses for the spectacle.

I enjoyed Pearl River Mart - is it still there? Chinatown in London irritates me - but that's probably because it's basically in Soho, which is like the third circle of hell or something.

AngryChicken

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 02:48:46 PM »
Looked and smelled exactly the same when I was there this past Summer except that it's eaten more of Little Italy.

Is that your memory from 15 years ago?