Author Topic: DVI and The Elbow Partner to Bring People Downtown  (Read 12899 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
DVI and The Elbow Partner to Bring People Downtown
« on: June 16, 2015, 12:20:01 PM »
DVI and The Elbow Partner to Bring People Downtown

Downtown Vision, Inc. (DVI) and the bars, restaurants, entertainment venues and promoters collectively known as The Elbow have come together to promote Downtown Jacksonville’s authentic entertainment destination, beginning with the launch of the new TheElbowJax.com website to provide Jacksonville and visitors with a snapshot of the scene.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2015-jun-dvi-and-the-elbow-partner-to-bring-people-downtown

JaxJersey-licious

Re: DVI and The Elbow Partner to Bring People Downtown
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 03:04:32 PM »
Great news. And the website is much improved. Many things have been suggested to improve the district but I feel the 2 most important changes would be to allow bringing your drink from venue to venue within the Elbow (Florida Theatre would be excluded) and have a variance allowing alcohol served until 3AM Fridays and Saturdays there.

I'm ok with opening the area up for more food trucks but I've always hoped that having extended hours would attract more bars and therefore more permanent eating establishments to fulfill the need.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 03:33:15 PM »
Cleaning up that alley will be pretty cool. That's been talked about for years.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

jaxlore

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 03:37:17 PM »
I hope they can get some traction. It's always a shame that this area hasn't really taken off like King Street has.

UNFurbanist

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 11:50:51 PM »
It really is all about the marketing with stuff like this. They need to get their name out there to UNF and JU students with some type of campaign and compete with the beach bars on the weekend. It is an awesome area with huge potential that offers something totally unique to Jax. I'm excited to help to with the alley clean up and to see if they can really help it take off.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 01:13:53 AM »
While I think it's great, I also think it's highly irresponsible to promote drinking downtown (and possibly extend serving hours until 3AM) when basically everyone is going to have to drive to get there and back. Yes, there are taxis and things like Uber (and people could choose designated drivers) - but lack of real mass transit pretty much guarantees that people will drink and drive.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

jaxlore

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 09:49:15 AM »
Promoting and providing more transportation options is also needed. An expansion of the Riverside night trolley and night buses to and from the beach\UNF\JU.

dp8541

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 10:09:34 AM »
While I think it's great, I also think it's highly irresponsible to promote drinking downtown (and possibly extend serving hours until 3AM) when basically everyone is going to have to drive to get there and back. Yes, there are taxis and things like Uber (and people could choose designated drivers) - but lack of real mass transit pretty much guarantees that people will drink and drive.

And the same thing isn't happening at the beach bars, Towncenter, King st, etc?  The vast majority of the patrons of in every "nightlife" area in Jax are not taking mass transit to and from the bars. 

I do not see this as a reason at all to not promote the area as a nightlife destination.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 10:59:20 AM »

And the same thing isn't happening at the beach bars, Towncenter, King st, etc?  The vast majority of the patrons of in every "nightlife" area in Jax are not taking mass transit to and from the bars. 

I do not see this as a reason at all to not promote the area as a nightlife destination.

I didn't say it wasn't. But  I'll save my comments on the beach bars, Towncenter, King St, etc for those threads.

Actually - I lied. I will now offer an opinion re King Street: you can walk to bars in Riverside. I did it for years. People live around there and those are neighborhood bars. True, people travel from outside the area (people will always do that) - but it's their responsibility to drink responsibly. Downtown is different in that over 90% (random figure pulled out of my ass) of your patrons will need to drive to visit the bars.

But just because it's being done elsewhere doesn't mean it's okay or shouldn't be considered.

UNFurbanist

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 11:07:01 AM »
Ya, at the end of the day people will always choose to drive in Jax so it's really just about the individual being responsible. uber and lyft are used very heavily at the beaches. Trolleys around the urban core and a bus out to the beaches is a great next step if they want to help prevent drinking and driving but you have to become a real destination first. I also hope we can start to get serious about expanding housing downtown so maybe one day a lot of people will just walk.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 11:34:32 AM »
Ya, at the end of the day people will always choose to drive in Jax so it's really just about the individual being responsible. uber and lyft are used very heavily at the beaches. Trolleys around the urban core and a bus out to the beaches is a great next step if they want to help prevent drinking and driving but you have to become a real destination first. I also hope we can start to get serious about expanding housing downtown so maybe one day a lot of people will just walk.

I agree. It just worries me more than anything else. When I lived in Jax, I may have driven drunk on an occasion or two. If that did happen, it would've been slowly on the side streets in Riverside. But I know lots of people who drink a lot and who drive. It's an unfortunate byproduct of not having decent transit options and having a populace that likes to go out drinking.

dp8541

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 12:00:40 PM »
I agree that this is an issue to keep an eye on, my post was just referencing that it would not be anymore of a problem downtown than it is anywhere else in the city.  Students at UNF and JU that live near their respective campuses are not walking to any of the bar districts in the city, so a shuttle to and from their campuses could be an option to evaluate.

Regarding uber and lyft, those services increase with the demand.  Meaning if downtown were to become a more popular nightlife destination there would be more uber and lyft drivers available to take people home.

UNFurbanist

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 12:17:17 PM »
I agree that this is an issue to keep an eye on, my post was just referencing that it would not be anymore of a problem downtown than it is anywhere else in the city.  Students at UNF and JU that live near their respective campuses are not walking to any of the bar districts in the city, so a shuttle to and from their campuses could be an option to evaluate.

Regarding uber and lyft, those services increase with the demand.  Meaning if downtown were to become a more popular nightlife destination there would be more uber and lyft drivers available to take people home.

+100

We also need this area to be successful if we ever want a vibrant downtown because every great city has a cool downtown bar district and this is ours. It really is a cool area and it has a ton more potential that I'm glad they are trying to build upon. I personally think there needs to be something done with the surface parking lots that kind of separate some of the bars from each other. Maybe that's where they could have food trucks park or street food vendors.

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 12:44:31 PM »

Tampa, St. Pete, West Palm, Ft. Lauderdale, and Miami all have entertainment districts limited to their urban core  that have closing times 3 AM or later and you don't hear a ton of people begging these establishments to roll back the clock to suburban alcohol service times, but that's not really my point. I'm trying to find ways for this particular part of downtown to thrive because of it's density, walkability, and available spaces but to do that the Elbow needs to be something truly unique to the region. The purpose of a weekend night 3 AM closing time is not to encourage drinking, but to make it more attractive for other to invest in these beautiful old buildings and purchase pricey liquor licenses offering something unique to the existing scene (and the additional bars there could very well encourage businesses and services not dealing with alcohol to set up shop for good measure). Plus later hours would encourage people in other areas to patronize or simply "check out" establishments and events going on in the Elbow without having to choose to do that or abandon their local watering hole.

I certainly don't encourage "binge" drinking of any kind which an earlier closing time would certainly encourage but yes there will be more chances of disorderly conduct due to drunkenness because of the longer bar hours - and that is one of the reasons I feel you should be allowed to carry your drink with you from place to place within the Elbow. What makes it a special place is the variety of venues in a relatively compact walkable area and having a pricey cocktail you have no choice but to finish there encourages people to stay where they are. Having a portable drink encourages you to go explore other venues without feeling compelled to get another one since you're good already. Just have more monitoring of people coming and going and keep people from bringing drinks into the Hyatt or Landing to cut down on unruliness.

These changes have helped create some fun and festive entertainment districts all across the country so I hope the city takes note. Regardless, it's refreshing to see all the positive changes happening there (and King St.) to make it the destination it can truly become. Always look forward to stopping by.

For_F-L-O-R-I-D-A

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 03:17:07 PM »
Could they have chosen a worse and less appealing name than "The Elbow"? Come on. What if the configuration of the district changes and is not in the shape of an elbow.

Going to King St. sounds way better than hitting the Elbow and perception is everything with nightlife. Honestly, the district has sort of failed already in bringing in the college crowd from JU, UNF, or local kids, and lost the young professional group. It has succeeded in bringing in the more alternative crowd and hip hop clubs.

If there is every going to be a true cool vibe in Jax for college kids/young professionals, Laura is where it should be with a good mix of restaurants, bars, and other entertainment leading you to the Landing. Most cities easily have several different areas within their downtown focused on different demographics. This is why the Trio is so important (but I digress).

Anyway, having an open container area would be great if they know how to manage it well. Orlando was relatively dead until about 10 years ago and sort of had the same lame hip hop dance clubs in their DT off Church and Pine without the young professional/college crowd. They created Wall Street which was completely geared towards young professionals and college kids with an open container allowance and the bar scene there took off. St. Pete did something similar on Central (their Main Street) about 7 or 8 years ago.