Author Topic: Lexington Who? A New Hotel Brand For The Southbank  (Read 3787 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Lexington Who? A New Hotel Brand For The Southbank
« on: June 10, 2015, 03:00:02 AM »
Lexington Who? A New Hotel Brand For The Southbank

There's a new hotel brand in the Southbank. One that many may have not heard of. Here's a look at what's in store for this Southbank property and what it means for downtown Jacksonville.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2015-jun-lexington-who-a-new-hotel-brand-for-the-southbank

CG7

Re: Lexington Who? A New Hotel Brand For The Southbank
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 09:16:12 AM »
I love the Chart House picture. It got me thinking, why does everyone act like the area is such a blight. There is a beautiful new Riverwalk with a hotel that is spending millions to update, and is nest to a really cool looking Chart House restaurant. Beside that are 3 large condo towers. Next to that and still on the new Riverwalk is another hotel undergoing renovations, with a Ruth's Chris located in the hotel. Next to a beautiful bridge (especially at night). Then you have a really nice fountain (once again especially at night) with a park a Museum and another riverfront restaurant in the River City Brewing Company. Now I know it isn't the greatest place on earth, but my god, if there was better access to everything it could be really awesome with what is there now.
I would also like to find a way to add some small cafes "ON" the Riverwalk, then the Southbank area would be awesome.

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 10:51:53 AM »
Much better than it rotting into the ground.

mbwright

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 10:55:56 AM »
the sweepstakes banner/sign sure brings class... :P

jaxlore

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 10:57:51 AM »
that sweepstakes place has been there for over a year, I am surprised that there still open.

CityLife

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 04:07:29 PM »
I've only walked the new Southbank Riverwalk once, but recall that it is out over the water and does not directly abut the hotel property. Correct? If so, was there a functional reason the designers did so? Seems like a missed opportunity to create an active space along the riverwalk during this hotel redevelopment.

jaxjaguar

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 04:10:40 PM »
One of the issues that needs to be addressed in this area are the empty shops between Chart House and the DCSB. I'm pretty sure the only thing in there at the moment is an abandoned "church" called IHOP... lol. Anyways, it'd be nice to see this cleaned up and some tenants move in to compliment "Healthy Town".

CG7

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 04:22:57 PM »
There is direct access at the Chart House, and to the hotel near the giant anchor. I think tearing those old buildings down, and just have an area for food trucks to pull up with some outdoor seating is the best and cheapest way to add some vibrancy to the area.

tufsu1

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 09:44:03 PM »
I've only walked the new Southbank Riverwalk once, but recall that it is out over the water and does not directly abut the hotel property. Correct? If so, was there a functional reason the designers did so?

to give users the feeling that they are in fact "walking on water"

mtraininjax

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 03:16:50 AM »
Its a dump of a hotel, they attract low-end events there and the front shops block the view at the ground level (what the hell were the developers thinking). The rooms are no better than the Motel 6 you find on Baymeadows Road. With Omni raising their game and Hyatt (redoing ALL of their rooms), this little hotel better get their act together, before they turn into another Southbank restaurant that meets its death with a tear-down.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 10:57:15 AM »
When did everyone just start using terrible corporate-speak jargon? When did everything go from being a "company" to a "brand"? The Tyler Durden in me reallllllly hates the suddenly ubiquitous use of "brand" everywhere i turn.

I think in this case, it's because Lexington is a brand of Vantage Hospitality. Kind of like how Doubletree is a brand owned by Hilton.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

I-10east

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 11:11:02 AM »
^^^Exactly.  The Ritz Carlton and Courtyard are both owned by the same company, but totally completely separate brands.  The Westin, W, Sheraton, and St. Regis are all part of the same company, but couldn't be more different from each other.

Kimpton was one of the few hotel companies that was thought of by the general public as its own "brand", per se (even though it stuck with a few names like Palomar and Monaco across multiple cities...the "Kimpton Hotel" part was all that mattered).  Now it got bought out by IHG, so I'm sure Kimpton will itself literally become a brand with sub-brands.
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

For_F-L-O-R-I-D-A

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 11:27:48 AM »
I love the Chart House picture. It got me thinking, why does everyone act like the area is such a blight. There is a beautiful new Riverwalk with a hotel that is spending millions to update, and is nest to a really cool looking Chart House restaurant. Beside that are 3 large condo towers. Next to that and still on the new Riverwalk is another hotel undergoing renovations, with a Ruth's Chris located in the hotel. Next to a beautiful bridge (especially at night). Then you have a really nice fountain (once again especially at night) with a park a Museum and another riverfront restaurant in the River City Brewing Company. Now I know it isn't the greatest place on earth, but my god, if there was better access to everything it could be really awesome with what is there now.
I would also like to find a way to add some small cafes "ON" the Riverwalk, then the Southbank area would be awesome.

I don't think everyone acts like the Southbank is blight. Heck, Hendricks is booming right up the way with restaurants and bars. There is a ton of potential here but it really is a hodgepodge of poor planning.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 02:09:01 PM »
Its a dump of a hotel, they attract low-end events there and the front shops block the view at the ground level (what the hell were the developers thinking).

The shipyards were still in operation when the hotel was built. The shops were also part of a plan for an interactive Southbank Riverwalk.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali