Author Topic: A new look for Winn-Dixie  (Read 44644 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
A new look for Winn-Dixie
« on: June 10, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »
A new look for Winn-Dixie

Without much fanfare, Downtown's only grocery store has continued improve itself with renovations now nearly complete.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/817

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
Re: A new look for Winn-Dixie
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 07:58:28 AM »
I have visited the store during the renovation.  I must say the store looks likes nice, but the clientele is still the same.  I guess if more people who lived Downtown and Springfield would go there, it wouldn't seem so bad.

civil42806

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 08:02:36 AM »
I suspect the clientele is actually the people who live in the neighborhood.  Doubt if many people from San Marco or Riverside are making the trip to visit it downtown

willydenn

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 08:14:09 AM »
lipstick on a pig :-*

zoo

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 08:15:03 AM »
Thank you Winn-Dixie. I'll give you another try.

When does the police substation become operational?

And when will the wine section look like the WD's at University and San Jose?

Keep spiffing it up, addressing staff quality, pressuring parking lot environment, and advertising with pics downtown, and you might get more downtown worker traffic.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 08:17:28 AM by zoo »

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 08:30:06 AM »
Anyone that has shopped at this Winn Dixie at any time in the past will appreciate how much this store has improved.

vicupstate

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 08:33:35 AM »
I have visited the store during the renovation.  I must say the store looks likes nice, but the clientele is still the same.  I guess if more people who lived Downtown and Springfield would go there, it wouldn't seem so bad.

I realize you Floridians get spoiled by having Publix everywhere, but you have to realize the position WD is in in this location.  

WD can't just eliminate it's current customer base with no guarantee that the more upscale DT workers and S'field/DT residents will fill the void.

If you want the store to serve YOUR needs then you have to start shopping there.  Period.

Is there really anything different between Publix milk and eggs and WD milk and eggs (except they cost less)?  I know they don't sell the 'Roasted Lemon Pepper Chicken to-go' type items, but if you mention that to the manager while you are standing there with a full basket, he might start putting some thought to the idea of offering it.  

The store manager (and corporate WD) know who is paying their salary.  You can't expect them to offer high-priced items that the current customers don't desire, on the hope that someone else will fill their shoes.  

Besides, are the current customers really harming you?  Just because someone is on a lower economic rung doesn't make them a threat.  Besides, the S'field and DT crowd should be use to it.        
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 08:39:40 AM »
Thank you Vic.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 08:41:24 AM »
It's not the lower economic rung I am worried about, its the drunk, homeless looking types that come in. I was in there the other night and had this guy in line right behind me being loud and obnoxious and treating the clerk behind the counter like crap. It was very uncomfortable. The policeman standing at the door didn't even do anything about it. That's the less desireable clientele I am talking about.  I am speaking from direct experiences. I have tried to give that store my business to help our local Fortune 500 company. I will go back, but that one experience I had, will keep the average Downtown worker from going there as they flee Downtown at 5pm.

civil42806

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 08:53:09 AM »
Thanks Vic  that was my exact point.  People who work downtown and don't live there won't shop there no matter what.  Its just not going to happen, doesn't matter if its a publix  or a w/d or a food lion and I seriously don't believe that whole foods is going to locate a store there anytime soon.  If you have a problem and theres a cop there complain. 

Driven1

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 09:20:11 AM »
the one at Old Kings Rd & Baymeadows Rd (near Philips) has been getting a major renewal as well.  even I - who despises Winn Dixie - have to admit they have done more than just a lipstick on a pig.  this is just the physical renewal though.  for me to go there regularly, i will have to go in there and:

1) see produce dropped by the stock boy and him NOT put it back up on the rack (even if he doesn't see me see him this time)

2) the store will not be allowed to smell like it is an outdoor seafood market

3) the store manager will need to be more hands on and out on the floor

in short though, i think they are doing this...i think WD will end up being a small success story.  btw, did you hear yesterday that Publix is buying like 50 Florida Albertsons?

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 09:33:21 AM »
That's another good improvement at the downtown Winn Dixie... the store doesn't smell horrible anymore.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 09:46:51 AM »
Juan Mott, the store manager, is also hardworking and on the floor.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Downtown Dweller

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 10:07:40 AM »
"The store manager (and corporate WD) know who is paying their salary.  You can't expect them to offer high-priced items that the current customers don't desire, on the hope that someone else will fill their shoes. "

On the same note they should not expect us to rush to the store to be treated badly by the horrible staff, harassed by the drunks in the parking lot, by vagrants and hoodlums in the store itself. I have gone several times; I have had an issue almost every single time. I have had to call the police twice. I have also purchased goods when once home found they had been opened and partially eaten. I agree.... lipstick on a pig! Just cleaning up the drunks and vagrants would be a big step in the right direction, getting some decent staff would be next. Groceries are expensive, I will give my hard earned money to a store providing the goods I want, with the service I expect, safety should be the minimum they provide!

I will give them another try if I can find someone to go with me (not going alone again), but this will not be the first time I have given them "one more try".

tufsu1

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 10:08:56 AM »
agreed....Juan has done an amazing job since taking over the store about two years ago....my only concern is that he may get transferred once the renovation is complete....and who knows what will happen then