Author Topic: Urban Construction Update - May 2015  (Read 8529 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Urban Construction Update - May 2015
« on: May 29, 2015, 03:00:03 AM »
Urban Construction Update - May 2015

Major construction projects have returned to the landscape of Jacksonville's urban core. Find out where (and more) as we take a brief look at the status of various developments under construction in and around Downtown Jacksonville during the month of May 2015.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2015-may-urban-construction-update-may-2015

acme54321

Re: Urban Construction Update - May 2015
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 06:46:26 AM »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 06:55:52 AM »
I left it out because nothing has been done since the demo of the two houses. Evidently, construction won't start till later this year.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 07:19:41 AM »
With that said, it and several other large proposed developments in the urban core will be included in the Urban Development Project and Construction List that will be added to Metro Jacksonville in June.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

urbanlibertarian

• Duuuvaall!!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 09:36:18 AM »
Wow!  We're already getting all this info every day on MJ we can't really get anywhere else and you tell us you're going to have even more?  Awesome.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes (Who watches the watchmen?)

menace1069

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 09:49:50 AM »
"Owner John Crispens plans to invest $300,000 to build-out the space at 1735 N. Main St. as an Italian-themed restaurant and bar, art gallery and dry cleaning service."

So....it's a restaurant/bar, art gallery AND a dry cleaning service. Listen, I am ALL for new businesses and all that, but a dry-cleaning service mixed with a bar and an art gallery.

Am I missing something here? I don't get the connection...it's so random.

I think that I will open a business that is a taco stand, shoe repair and ice cream.
I could be wrong about that...it's been known to happen.

urbanlibertarian

• Duuuvaall!!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 10:07:02 AM »
Apparently it's a pretty large space.  I'm pretty sure it will just be drop off and pick up of dry cleaning which is not currently offered in the neighborhood.  No toxic dry cleaning chemicals used onsite.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes (Who watches the watchmen?)

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 11:08:53 AM »
I was in rural Ireland, and the town I was visiting had a combination Gas Station/Bar/Feed Store/Funeral Home.

But yea, outside of very rural places I'm not sure I've seen this before.

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 11:18:59 AM »
There is a garage and bbq in the Bronx. 

Charles Hunter

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 12:05:53 PM »
Levels - the big dumpster has been removed from the parking lane on Bay Street - does that mean demo work is done?  Or has the project stopped?

Brooklyn Riverside - the contractor randomly closes one, or both, inbound lanes of Park Street, with very little advance warning - and there's a hill just south of their site, so you come over the hill to find your lane has disappeared.  Sometimes they set up cones to make the outbound 2 lanes into one lane each way - sometimes not, making it a game of chicken.

Ribault Bakery - hope they have better luck than Corrado's, that seemed to spend more time renovating that space, than actually being open.

UNFurbanist

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 03:30:03 PM »
"Owner John Crispens plans to invest $300,000 to build-out the space at 1735 N. Main St. as an Italian-themed restaurant and bar, art gallery and dry cleaning service."

So....it's a restaurant/bar, art gallery AND a dry cleaning service. Listen, I am ALL for new businesses and all that, but a dry-cleaning service mixed with a bar and an art gallery.

I think that I will open a business that is a taco stand, shoe repair and ice cream.

The funny thing is I literally just got done having a conversation with a friend of mine who told me the one thing she wishes there was at her laundromat in Jax beach is a bar. She said its so boring waiting for your clothes so sipping on a beer would be awesome. Its strange but a market exists.

menace1069

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 04:00:31 PM »

The funny thing is I literally just got done having a conversation with a friend of mine who told me the one thing she wishes there was at her laundromat in Jax beach is a bar. She said its so boring waiting for your clothes so sipping on a beer would be awesome. Its strange but a market exists.
There are laundromats that have bars in them, but this is an actually restaurant, art gallery and dry-cleaning drop-off.

"Yes, table for two and go light on the starch on my shirts, please. Is that a Picasso?"
I could be wrong about that...it's been known to happen.

UNFurbanist

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 04:25:19 PM »
No, you're totally right the combination is way overboard. Hope it works out for them though. Make Jax Weird right? Or is that not exactly what they mean by that? haha

goldy21

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 01:05:46 AM »
Really disappointed in the final 220 Riverside project from an architectural standpoint. Drab, uninspired, and generic. Congrats to the developers on building a flipper!

river4340

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 09:33:41 AM »

according to the T-U, he was looking for a service that the area didn't provide and decided on dry cleaning. It will just be a drop-off, pick-up. Work will be shipping out elsewhere.
Then since he had the space and his background is dining/bars, he added the restaurant. Then he figured he might as well add the art because he knows a lot of artists ...