Author Topic: Bill Delaney: Why I’m Voting for Lenny Curry  (Read 10340 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Bill Delaney: Why I’m Voting for Lenny Curry
« on: May 19, 2015, 03:00:02 AM »
Bill Delaney: Why I’m Voting for Lenny Curry

Bill Delaney, a long time Metro Jacksonville regular, explains why he's voting for Lenny Curry.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2015-may-bill-delaney-why-im-voting-for-lenny-curry

fieldafm

• Editor
Re: Bill Delaney: Why I’m Voting for Lenny Curry
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 05:24:54 AM »
Well said

DuvalHusky

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 08:51:07 AM »
TL;DR: "This time around, I’m throwing in with Lenny Curry. Lenny has two qualities that will be essential in getting us back on the right path: he knows how to manage a budget, and he knows how to manage people. isn't Alvin Brown."  What a ringing endorsement.

It's pretty sad. As a matter of fact not opportunity, that section of pavement that fell into the river was known to every administration I have  had contact with going back to John Delaney. This is not an excuse for Brown's inept management team. I am not a fan of Alvin Brown. I think he is arrogant and self-serving. Further, he has spent 3+ years cozying up to the Tea Baggers of Northeast Florida.

That said, voting for Lenny Curry and his vitriolic message of "us versus them" which underpins his entire campaign is unconscionable to me. I cannot reward someone whose campaign is predicated on "the black man has made Jacksonville and me and my beautiful, white family will make it safe again by chasing chickens in your backyard"   
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 08:52:48 AM by DuvalHusky »

InnerCityPressure

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 09:04:37 AM »
TL;DR: "This time around, I’m throwing in with Lenny Curry. Lenny has two qualities that will be essential in getting us back on the right path: he knows how to manage a budget, and he knows how to manage people. isn't Alvin Brown."  What a ringing endorsement.

Funny - "not the other guy" endorsement is the only reason AB has a job in this town.

InnerCityPressure

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 09:08:25 AM »
campaign is predicated on "the black man has made Jacksonville and me and my beautiful, white family will make it safe again

Unless I missed something, Curry hasn't made it about race at all.  I'm not a Curry supporter, but that's not fair to project racism on to him. 

mtraininjax

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 09:18:41 AM »
Unless I missed something, Curry hasn't made it about race at all.  I'm not a Curry supporter, but that's not fair to project racism on to him.

+1, nope, been a good race of what each candidate can do for people for the next 4 years. Brown is more of the same, and Curry, having never been in local office, is the only breath of fresh air, that same wind that carried Brown 4 years ago...change.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 09:22:23 AM »

Ha! Well, unfortunately, sometimes we're voting for the better candidate rather than the best one.

FWIW I really do believe that, though. Curry has strengths in management and accounting that Alvin just doesn't, and that's been a large part of his problem.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 09:26:37 AM »

Hope you will join us for coverage all day today!

You know it!
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

jaxlore

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 09:26:56 AM »
I am sorry, but I cannot vote another fear monger into office. This city is not burning to the ground, there is no chaos as city hall. There is no mad max in Hemming Park. I am by no means Alvin Browns biggest fan but no matter how you skew the numbers things have really improved over the last four years in Jacksonville.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 09:30:06 AM »

FWIW I really do believe that, though. Curry has strengths in management and accounting that Alvin just doesn't, and that's been a large part of his problem.

Honest question, Taca:   Do you sincerely believe that Curry will be able to balance our budget without raising taxes?

Follow up:  In your opinion, what steps do you think Curry will take to create a net-zero budget?
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 09:43:19 AM »

Honest question, Taca:   Do you sincerely believe that Curry will be able to balance our budget without raising taxes?

Follow up:  In your opinion, what steps do you think Curry will take to create a net-zero budget?

I can't say what exactly he'll do, but I do believe he'll balance the budget (without forcing the Council to do it all). There's likely to be a lot more streamlining and waste that can be eliminated, but it won't cover all the shortfalls. Balancing it may involve another tax increase, it may involve other cuts, or it may be a combination of both. Tough decisions in any case, and Brown has shown over the last four years that he won't or can't make them.

Additionally, resolving the pension will save us a lot in the long run, which will make budgets easier to meet down the road. I think we stand a better chance at getting there with Curry.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 09:58:07 AM »
I can't say what exactly he'll do, but I do believe he'll balance the budget (without forcing the Council to do it all). There's likely to be a lot more streamlining and waste that can be eliminated, but it won't cover all the shortfalls. Balancing it may involve another tax increase, it may involve other cuts, or it may be a combination of both. Tough decisions in any case, and Brown has shown over the last four years that he won't or can't make them.

A dyed-in-the-wool, business owning republican has been adamant about not raising taxes, yet you sincerely believe that he may have to in order to balance the budget.  Hmmmm.....

I'm more of the opinion that he'll be so staunchly opposed to any tax increase and will absolutely streamline many programs. 

Let's start with assistance programs and Parks and Rec.  I look forward to hearing this refrain if elected, "There's no reason people can't pay a little more in order to enjoy these...."  But no new taxes.

Let's move to Small Business ventures and their tax incentives:  "Well I was able to found my company without any help (you know, convenient amnesia).  If they're going to be viable, they should be able to do it themselves and not need the assistance from the taxpayers." 

Let's finish on the HRO:  "There's no discrimination in this city.  We don't need to push any legislation that's outright looking to say we do and it needs correction."

Additionally, resolving the pension will save us a lot in the long run, which will make budgets easier to meet down the road. I think we stand a better chance at getting there with Curry.

Maybe; maybe not.  He hasn't said enough about it for me to really have an opinion on what I think he may or may not do.  His appealing to the JSO and their needs and wants without considering the available facts leads me to believe that the city will take a huge hit, though, but 'in the name of safety!!!'
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 10:12:15 AM »
Taca, why shouldn't the Council have the responsibility of being honest about the budget?  I still don't get his whole claim that we voted for nineteen people on council so that they could stand around waiting to be told what to do by an all powerful mayor.

Setting the budget is one of the Mayor's responsibilities. The council is definitely part of the process, voting on it, making changes, etc., but Brown has totally deferred his part of the responsibility to them.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 10:40:01 AM »

A dyed-in-the-wool, business owning republican has been adamant about not raising taxes, yet you sincerely believe that he may have to in order to balance the budget.  Hmmmm.....

I'm more of the opinion that he'll be so staunchly opposed to any tax increase and will absolutely streamline many programs. 

Let's start with assistance programs and Parks and Rec.  I look forward to hearing this refrain if elected, "There's no reason people can't pay a little more in order to enjoy these...."  But no new taxes.

Let's move to Small Business ventures and their tax incentives:  "Well I was able to found my company without any help (you know, convenient amnesia).  If they're going to be viable, they should be able to do it themselves and not need the assistance from the taxpayers." 

Let's finish on the HRO:  "There's no discrimination in this city.  We don't need to push any legislation that's outright looking to say we do and it needs correction."

Again, I don't know what he'll do. But balancing that budget very well could either mean cuts to something else, or new taxes. There aren't a lot of other options. Either way, we haven't seen Brown making those decisions.

On LGBT issues, like I say, I'm pretty distressed by Curry's position. But he isn't any worse than Brown in that regard, even though it's a party issue for Brown.

Maybe; maybe not.  He hasn't said enough about it for me to really have an opinion on what I think he may or may not do.  His appealing to the JSO and their needs and wants without considering the available facts leads me to believe that the city will take a huge hit, though, but 'in the name of safety!!!'
[/quote]

We shall see. Either way, we'll have a new Sheriff in the JSO.

mtraininjax

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 10:51:26 AM »
On LGBT issues, like I say, I'm pretty distressed by Curry's position. But he isn't any worse than Brown in that regard, even though it's a party issue for Brown.

You ride your party into the office, then you moderate and govern for all. It will get done this term, no matter if its Brown or Curry, the city wants it and needs it.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field