Author Topic: Arash Kamiar: Let's Not Vote for Lenny Curry  (Read 9411 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Arash Kamiar: Let's Not Vote for Lenny Curry
« on: May 15, 2015, 03:00:03 AM »
Arash Kamiar: Let's Not Vote for Lenny Curry

In this op-ed Arash Kamiar writes why he's not voting for this particular Republican candidate.  

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2015-may-arash-kamiar-lets-not-vote-for-lenny-curry

strider

Re: Arash Kamiar: Let's Not Vote for Lenny Curry
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 08:02:32 AM »
This is an opinion piece and Mr. Kamiar is certainly entitled to his opinion.  What I find interesting is that many people on this forum have talked about how one of the big problems with Jacksonville is that we are behind the times and that we seem stuck in the same place.  So it seems to me that change is exactly what we need. As to instability, what is worse, a status quot that leads nowhere or a certain amount of instability that could lead somewhere? Even if only one small thing changes for the good, is that not better than a continuation of what we have now?

This is a tough decision for many as this is certainty seen as the determining the lessor of two bad options. And once again, we see the self fulling prophecy presented here.  Let's vote for Brown, the incumbent, because incumbents can't be beat. By giving Brown 8 years we prove that if Curry were to be elected, we end up with eight years of his administration. 

The other side is simply this.  By voting for change, voting for Curry in this case, you are also proving you can break the cycle and show that if a administration is unsatisfactory, you can indeed change it and try someone new for the next four years.

Regardless of who you vote for, make your own choice and do vote.
"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." Patrica, Joe VS the Volcano.

spuwho

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 08:05:27 AM »
Perhaps we should consider doing what Chicago has done. Eliminate parties in the mayoral race altogether. Let anyone who files the paperwork run.

Then truly let the people decide instead of some political caste system.

mtraininjax

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 08:22:19 AM »
The world always needs more toilet paper, thanks Arash Kamiar for the new supply.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

PeeJayEss

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 08:40:03 AM »
The world always needs more toilet paper, thanks Arash Kamiar for the new supply.

You wipe your ass on computer screens?
That's disgusting, man.

TheCat

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 10:19:00 AM »
This is an opinion piece and Mr. Kamiar is certainly entitled to his opinion.  What I find interesting is that many people on this forum have talked about how one of the big problems with Jacksonville is that we are behind the times and that we seem stuck in the same place.  So it seems to me that change is exactly what we need. As to instability, what is worse, a status quot that leads nowhere or a certain amount of instability that could lead somewhere? Even if only one small thing changes for the good, is that not better than a continuation of what we have now?

This is a tough decision for many as this is certainty seen as the determining the lessor of two bad options. And once again, we see the self fulling prophecy presented here.  Let's vote for Brown, the incumbent, because incumbents can't be beat. By giving Brown 8 years we prove that if Curry were to be elected, we end up with eight years of his administration. 

The other side is simply this.  By voting for change, voting for Curry in this case, you are also proving you can break the cycle and show that if a administration is unsatisfactory, you can indeed change it and try someone new for the next four years.

I appreciate your perspective.

I don't see MAB as the status quo. He's kind of a blip in the status quo. The one that somehow got through. I think voting for Brown sends a message that the kingmakers have to re-evaluate which candidates are chosen.

TheCat

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 10:21:13 AM »
Perhaps we should consider doing what Chicago has done. Eliminate parties in the mayoral race altogether. Let anyone who files the paperwork run.

Then truly let the people decide instead of some political caste system.

I think I'm all for that.

I'm also wondering if we need to switch to one longer term. What do you think of that? Instead of two four year terms, we elect for one six year term. 

TheCat

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 10:26:54 AM »

Are you an expert on the economy of toilet paper?

What exactly bothers you mtrain?

You wipe your ass on computer screens?
That's disgusting, man.

I'm sure mtrain printed the op-ed, then used it as toilet paper...which would explain a lot.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 11:16:46 AM »
I don't care about sending messages or one-upping supposed "king makers". I care about getting the best public servants into leadership positions. We have two choices right now, who have pluses and minus of their own, beyond their appeal to political factions.

To my mind, Curry has two qualities that Alvin doesn't: his capability in managing budgets, and his capability in managing people. Brown has proven he can't manage the city's budget, and worse, that he doesn't know how to surround himself with people who can. Brown does have positives - he has a great attitude and spirit, and he's a great cheerleader for our city - but they just don't overcome the seriousness of the negatives. Curry is by no stretch an ideal candidate, but he's got the skills and experience to get us on the right track in that regard.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 01:08:23 PM »
I haven't found that Curry has lied. If you're talking about the number of police officers cut under Brown, he was using the figures given by the Sheriff. It was at most a misconception, and apparently Brown shared it, or he would have called Curry out on it. Certainly no worse than some of what Brown has said, like the "never raised taxes" canard.

I also haven't found Curry to be a petty or mean person, and I've met him. I will agree with you that Curry went too negative too quick and it has damaged his public face. It's something he'll have to work on if he's elected.

In the final analysis, I think we're really looking at a guy who can do the job despite his faults, and a guy who's unfortunately shown that he can't.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

ben america

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 03:19:11 PM »
We have a unitary model. Anyone who fills out the paperwork and gets petitions or pays filing fee can run. The only reason people who are party affiliated end up in the runoff is because people vote R & D.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 03:24:19 PM »
If we removed party from the ballot it would cut back on some of that, though. It would also remove a lot of the incentive for state and national parties to throw money into the race, as they're only interested in getting their person elected. The results are what we've seen in the last several elections.

TheCat

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 07:15:28 PM »
I don't care about sending messages or one-upping supposed "king makers". I care about getting the best public servants into leadership positions. We have two choices right now, who have pluses and minus of their own, beyond their appeal to political factions.

To my mind, Curry has two qualities that Alvin doesn't: his capability in managing budgets, and his capability in managing people. Brown has proven he can't manage the city's budget, and worse, that he doesn't know how to surround himself with people who can. Brown does have positives - he has a great attitude and spirit, and he's a great cheerleader for our city - but they just don't overcome the seriousness of the negatives. Curry is by no stretch an ideal candidate, but he's got the skills and experience to get us on the right track in that regard.

The more I think about"king-makers" the more I wonder if that is in fact how we should be voting. Is the candidate almost irrelevant?

Am I voting for Khan or Rummell in this election?

If we removed party from the ballot it would cut back on some of that, though. It would also remove a lot of the incentive for state and national parties to throw money into the race, as they're only interested in getting their person elected. The results are what we've seen in the last several elections.

Are you saying the reason that we don't have candidates that we're excited about is because of a lack of party support? Campaign money?

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 11:09:12 PM »
To my mind, Curry has two qualities that Alvin doesn't: his capability in managing budgets, and his capability in managing people.

I've been more vocal about this issue and feel the need to continue to do so.

Please explain to me how accounting is supposed to fix the budget issues? 

I mean, it's Budget 101, right?  Your spending can't exceed your sources of revenue.

How does an accountant change that when he's adamant about spending more (in the name of safety), but he's just as adamant about not increasing the main stream of revenue. 

Sounds more to me like Sales 101 to me.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

avonjax

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 11:10:36 PM »

Someone doesnt become the "status quo" in 4 years.  Curry IS the status quo that Brown replaced, so voting for him is a return to the status quo we are trying to leave behind.  It isnt that hard.

you are 1000% correct