Author Topic: Sheriff's Debate 2015: Ken Jefferson v. Mike Williams  (Read 4524 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Sheriff's Debate 2015: Ken Jefferson v. Mike Williams
« on: May 14, 2015, 11:25:01 AM »
Sheriff's Debate 2015: Ken Jefferson v. Mike Williams

Ken Jefferson and Mike Williams Debate to become Jacksonville's next sheriff.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2015-may-sheriffs-debate-2015-ken-jefferson-v-mike-williams

coredumped

• Huge Member
Re: Sheriff's Debate 2015: Ken Jefferson v. Mike Williams
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 03:24:33 PM »
Man, still a tossup for me. I really dislike Mike Williams response regarding body cameras and radios for the media. Let's me honest, the privacy reason is total BS (red light cameras anyone?). Other cities in FLA are using body cams and radios for the media in with no issue.

This is about accountability.

I understand the "blue brotherhood" and all that, but if you had a bad cop on your force why wouldn't you want to get rid of him/her? They're a liability! A company would fire a bad employee, JSO should be the same.

I think Mike might be Rutherford 2.0, which is NOT what I want.
Jags season ticket holder.

AKIRA

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 08:05:38 PM »
Generally speaking, if it is a government record (paper, video, audio), it is open under the Sunshine Law to be accessible to the public. 

The idea that anyone will be able to get the video of you having a bad, drunken day, in your house or elsewhere, saying something you really shouldn't, is very probable... since camera do, for better or for worse, turn police into walking surveillance cameras aimed at you, not them.

Think of Mel Gibson.. and before you throw stones at him, you would be surprised how many otherwise upstanding citizens lose their minds when a little alcohol and stress hits.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 10:24:06 PM »
Something else just occurred to me as well.

If body cameras do become the 'next thing', then the laws are most definitely going to be changed to that effect.  So in the not too distant future, when the general public EXPECTS there to be video/audio recordings of everything, how long will it be before the PD and defense attorneys are just tossing cases out due to lack of 'evidence'. 

See the red-light camera conundrum. 

At any given event there are multitudes of plain-clothes officers in and among the crowds.  They're not going to just 'fit in' if they would be required to wear a camera on their person.  How could they be excluded from that requirement once the video evidence become the basis for convictions?

We're definitely at the tip of the iceburg with this new technology and I fully expect to look back on the implementation of this as my parents and grandparents have witness the implementation and effect of dashboard cams and cellphone video from the public with regard to the police.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

mtraininjax

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 08:25:26 AM »
Man, still a tossup for me. I really dislike Mike Williams response regarding body cameras and radios for the media. Let's me honest, the privacy reason is total BS (red light cameras anyone?). Other cities in FLA are using body cams and radios for the media in with no issue.

Let's give the government unfettered access to all the video taken from squad cars, police cameras, drones and your smartphone spying on you. I think CBS has a TV show on this, Person of Interest, where "the machine sees everything". Hollywood is not far off from reality. Williams is right, how much more do we want and do we need?
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

coredumped

• Huge Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 10:04:21 AM »

Let's give the government unfettered access to all the video taken from squad cars, police cameras, drones and your smartphone spying on you. I think CBS has a TV show on this, Person of Interest, where "the machine sees everything". Hollywood is not far off from reality. Williams is right, how much more do we want and do we need?

Smartphone is my property, and they shouldn't have access to it (not to say they don't).
The police work for me, to protect me, and are paid by me. They should have no right to privacy while on the clock.
Jags season ticket holder.

Keef11

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 10:57:14 AM »
I watched both debates.  Williams knows what he is saying.  Jefferson says tag lines and rhetoric - tries to get people scared by telling emotional stories.  So far, Williams is my guy

Keef11

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 04:18:29 PM »
Great article that shows WIlliams commitment to community
 http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=545449

AKIRA

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 11:14:09 AM »
Cored dump, its not the polices' privacy that is the concern, its the people they record that is the issue.

Nobody is going to mess with your cell phone, unless you use it while committing a crime.

The_Choose_1

• We Are Norfolk Southern
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 11:29:21 PM »
"Nobody is going to mess with your cell phone" So Akira we are to take you word? A lot like the Feds that told us they weren't spying on Americans in general. Then Edward Snowden comes out with a lot of different information on the real FACTS of what is really going on with spying in America?
One of many unsung internet heroes who are almost entirely misunderstood. Contrary to popular belief, many trolls are actually quite intelligent. Their habitual attacks on forums is usually a result of their awareness of the pretentiousness and excessive self-importance of many forum enthusiasts.

AKIRA

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 02:06:20 AM »
you post stalking now...?

The_Choose_1

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 02:31:14 AM »
you post stalking now...?
Not at all I'm just going back to seeing how you think. Are you afraid of your own words? I pray your not in law enforcement because with your attitude I'm afraid you act as if your the only one with the right Opinion. 
One of many unsung internet heroes who are almost entirely misunderstood. Contrary to popular belief, many trolls are actually quite intelligent. Their habitual attacks on forums is usually a result of their awareness of the pretentiousness and excessive self-importance of many forum enthusiasts.

AKIRA

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 02:19:02 PM »
ah, the internet.. the place where opinionated people find fault with everyone else's opining..

The_Choose_1

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 04:59:09 PM »
ah, the internet.. the place where opinionated people find fault with everyone else's opining..
Freedom of speech something you seem to hate akira.