Author Topic: 2014 Metropolitan Area Census Estimates Released  (Read 5012 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
2014 Metropolitan Area Census Estimates Released
« on: April 03, 2015, 03:00:04 AM »
2014 Metropolitan Area Census Estimates Released

The latest U.S. Census metropolitan area population estimates for the U.S. and Puerto Rico as of July 2014 have been released. Find out where Jacksonville ranks.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2015-apr-2014-metropolitan-area-census-estimates-released

edjax

Re: 2014 Metropolitan Area Census Estimates Released
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 10:01:42 AM »
Looking at this list and of course it is for Metro areas but all have at least a central downtown. Of the Top 50, which of,the Top 50 have a less desirable downtown from a vibrancy, etc standpoint than Jacksonville?  Any? Pretty damn sad.

tufsu1

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 10:16:35 AM »
^ I haven't been to every city on the list, but some of the bigger ones (like Atlanta) don't have super successful downtowns.

And how about these:

#13 - Riverside, CA
#30 - Las Vegas, NV (doesn't really even have a downtown)
#34 - San Jose, CA

edjax

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 10:25:43 AM »
I think 'not super successful" still beats us.  Also a quick google,of Downtown San Jose probably tells me to,cross that one off the list too. Seems a bit more vibrant than DT Jax.

finehoe

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 10:26:41 AM »
Why are Raleigh and Durham-Chapel Hill split up?  If they consider Miami to West Palm all one metro area, then seems like Raleigh-Durham should be to.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 10:29:19 AM »
^ I haven't been to every city on the list, but some of the bigger ones (like Atlanta) don't have super successful downtowns.

And how about these:

#13 - Riverside, CA
#30 - Las Vegas, NV (doesn't really even have a downtown)
#34 - San Jose, CA

I've been to these three. I'd say DT Jax is on par or better, in terms of vibrancy...

#47 Hartford
#49 Birmingham
#50 Buffalo
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 10:34:05 AM »
Why are Raleigh and Durham-Chapel Hill split up?  If they consider Miami to West Palm all one metro area, then seems like Raleigh-Durham should be to.

Broward is probably the unifier. There's no distinct border or drop off in density of built development between it an Palm Beach to the north or Miami-Dade, to the south.  It's basically one linear, but well developed, compact urbanized area. Broward alone, has more residents than Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill combined.  I've been to those North Carolina cities too.  They seem pretty sprawly and disconnected, compared to South Florida.  In fact, they seem more sprawled out and disconnected than the Tampa Bay, Sarasota and Lakeland MSAs, which are all literally right next to each other.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

pierre

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 10:39:51 AM »

#13 - Riverside, CA

Was out there in February. This has to be the largest MSA landwise. The "Inland Empire" is 27k square miles.

finehoe

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 10:59:02 AM »
They seem pretty sprawly and disconnected

Sprawly, yes; disconnected, not so much.  My experience there is that people see the area as a single entity.  I'd like to see the commuting patterns between Durham and Wake Counties.  I'd guess there is more between those two than there is between Palm Beach and Miami-Dade.

finehoe

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 11:14:58 AM »
I'd guess there is more between those two than there is between Palm Beach and Miami-Dade.

My suspicion was right.  According to this https://www.census.gov/population/metro/data/other.html ; 66,000 people commute between Wake and Durham Counties, but only 12,000 commute between Palm Beach and Miami-Dade Counties.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 11:34:29 AM »
You're looking them as "bookends" when there's a big monster in the middle. How do the numbers compare between Broward and Palm Beach or Broward and Miami-Dade?

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 11:44:44 AM »

This is a common point of contention and one example where many people use CSA when analyzing the RDU area. Also, if I'm not mistaken, it was all a single MSA until more recently when the census decided to split them.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 11:53:35 AM »
196k commuters between Broward and Miami-Dade and 99k commuters between Broward and Palm Beach. Those are pretty hefty numbers in comparison.

finehoe

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 12:01:16 PM »
You're looking them as "bookends" when there's a big monster in the middle.

No, that's not my point.  What I'm saying is, why is it two side-by-side counties with plenty of cross-border interactions isn't considered a single entity when two counties separated by another county with much less cross-border interaction is.  I don't deny that Southeast Florida for all intents and purposes is one big city.  What I question is why Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill isn't as well.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 12:12:42 PM »
It's because the county in the middle has significantly strong interaction with both counties. It's a pretty unique situation. However, I get what you're saying about Raleigh-Durham.  At one point, they were a single metro. I'm not sure what changed.