Author Topic: Nation's Largest Mall Proposed  (Read 6385 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Nation's Largest Mall Proposed
« on: March 09, 2015, 03:00:04 AM »
Nation's Largest Mall Proposed

Who said the era of the enclosed shopping mall was over may need to reevaluate their opinion. Triple Five, the Canadian company that opened the Mall of America in 1992, has announced their intention to build a larger center in Florida.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2015-mar-nations-largest-mall-proposed

I-10east

Re: Nation's Largest Mall Proposed
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 05:01:26 AM »
The same company is supposed to build something similar to this in New Jersey, near MetLife Stadium (American Dream Meadowlands); It hit alot of snags dating back to 2004, as it's moving at an extremely sloooooow pace. 

http://www.americandream.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Dream_Meadowlands

I-10east

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 05:24:12 AM »
If American Dream Miami goes through, it will be something totally unique to Florida. Skiing, indoor theme park/ waterpark (shielded from Florida's often inclement weather), submarines etc etc. The Miami area already have the 3rd and 7th largest US malls, and now they are vying for number 1? All that I can say is wow!

Captain Zissou

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 09:12:43 AM »
I can't tell if I-10 is being sarcastic or not....

I think this is a huge waste of time and money. This is the second indoor ski slope proposed for Florida is as many months. I don't see this succeeding and I don't see it starting without heavy subsidies from the city of Miami.  With an area that's already straining their resources and almost completely built out, this just seems like it's tempting fate. The energy needs of this facility will be immense.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 09:44:31 AM »
In this case, the City of Miami Lakes, Miami-Dade County, Broward County (the site is on the border) or the State of Florida would have to pony up an incentives package, if requested.  Btw, where was the first indoor ski slope in Florida proposed?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 10:37:07 AM »
Can that area support a large mall like that? It does seem like a waste of money.

pierre

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 10:38:54 AM »
Mother of god

PeeJayEss

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 11:20:52 AM »

acme54321

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 11:22:20 AM »
In this case, the City of Miami Lakes, Miami-Dade County, Broward County (the site is on the border) or the State of Florida would have to pony up an incentives package, if requested.  Btw, where was the first indoor ski slope in Florida proposed?

Orlando

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 01:25:59 PM »

In the year 2000, a maniacal developer will develop the world largest indoor shopping mall despite trends showing there is already an over abundance of retail shops, mass consolidation of retailers, and the increase of online shopping. And he will build this behemoth in temperate South Florida no less! He will place in his monument to uselessness a ski slope. The conditions to make it viable will come from...well hell has obviously frozen over at this point. It will be placed on top of a 150,000 square feet Sears department store whose natural trajectory makes it an ideal base for downhill skiing.

I-10east

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 04:55:38 PM »
I can't tell if I-10 is being sarcastic or not....

I think this is a huge waste of time and money. This is the second indoor ski slope proposed for Florida is as many months. I don't see this succeeding and I don't see it starting without heavy subsidies from the city of Miami.  With an area that's already straining their resources and almost completely built out, this just seems like it's tempting fate. The energy needs of this facility will be immense.

I wasn't being sarcastic. You brought up some legit concerns. My first thought when reading about the other large area malls was oversaturation.

Redbaron616

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 08:26:22 PM »
With consumers hooked on online shopping, as well as "showcasing," it will be extremely difficult to pull one of these off and actually make it work. Consumers compare prices everywhere they go and malls are rarely the land of the bargain.

Proposals to build this or that are a dime a dozen. We will believe it when they build it and it succeeds long-term.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 08:44:17 PM »
How is the Mall of America doing these days? I stopped by Sawgrass Mills a few months ago and it appeared to still be doing well.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

RattlerGator

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 10:18:39 PM »
With all of that traffic from around the Americas, Miami is a completely unique market -- especially when it comes to shopping.