Author Topic: Catlett promising "major" CFB game at Everbank in 2016, FSU game in 18/19  (Read 32755 times)

Snaketoz

Re: Catlett promising "major" CFB game at Everbank in 2016, FSU game in 18/19
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2016, 09:45:31 PM »
Before we set the stadium on fire and ban sports from all of the vast lands of Duval County, let's think about this for just a second.

The city spent $350,000 in operational expenses.
Tickets remaining to be sold equal 17,000
Stadium capacity equals about 65,000
Ticket face value equals $45-$255

Conservatively, let's say HALF the tickets that are no longer available were actually sold (not handed out), and let's say they were all sold for $45 a pop. 65,000-17,000=48,000/2=24,000x45=1,080,000

Multiply by 0.65, since the city keeps 65% of ticket revenue... $702,000

Even with this extraordinarily conservative estimate, the city doubled their money on ticket sales alone. This doesn't include parking revenue, merchandise, food or alcohol sales. It doesn't take into account bed taxes, gas taxes, sales taxes, or any of those things.

It's a win.

Stop hating.

Subtract at least $250,000 that the city pays to the teams to come here.  Then subtract cost of police, power, etc.  Sure, I hope the city clears some cash, but I seriously doubt they clearing $700,000 or more.

Further, all I am really saying is it's a shitty game, played by lower-tier teams.  I was never really saying it's a loser, just that I wish zero tax dollars went to a game like this.

The article linked above only mentions a $350,000 cost for operating expenses. I'm sure the teams are compensated for coming here, but I have no idea what that number is or who pays. This game is Navy's home game, which means it's not too expensive to buy. It makes financial sense for the city to bring this game here. If you're concerned about tax dollars being spent, consider that buying a really good game means buying a home game from Alabama AND Ohio State. That's what Dallas is doing with Florida and Michigan next year. Not cheap, and there's no guarantee those fans would even come to JAX.

If your beef is with the quality of games, then you should refer to my (much) earlier comment. There are a very select few truly "marquee" college football games every year that are played off campus. Atlanta and Dallas get basically all of them, because they are better cities with better venues. I love it here in Jacksonville, but let's be real.
JBT,  I agree with you 100%.  There are several posters here that parse and critique every post just to have something to do I suppose.

RattlerGator

« Reply #106 on: November 05, 2016, 08:51:29 AM »
The city clearly had some real misfortune on this game. Notre Dame was always going to be the big draw and they just happen to be in the middle of a very bad year. Ordinarily, they would have packed the place. Not this year.

It happens.

Their bad record has killed the draw, true, but this is a win for Jax. Personally, we've got 9 squids we're housing in our 2BR Springfield space for the weekend who came over from the Panhandle for the game. Plenty of visitors in town who may or may not go to the game. The empty seats won't be a black mark on the city. The weather will be beautiful, there are things to do in town for the visitors -- cool out. All is well.

It is a reminder, though: the game has changed on sporting events. Ticket sales are absolutely not what they used to be. At pro events, or college. SEC fanbases don't travel to away games like they used to, for instance. The world has changed and entertainment options are much, much more diverse and less expensive.

jaxjaguar

« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2016, 01:00:55 PM »
Wow... The stadium is really empty. The upper decks are completely bare and the lower levels are pretty sparse when the camera zooms in. It's a shame these teams are playing so poorly this season. Hopefully people stick around and check out the new brewery, restaurants, etc

carpnter

« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2016, 03:07:50 PM »
Wow... The stadium is really empty. The upper decks are completely bare and the lower levels are pretty sparse when the camera zooms in. It's a shame these teams are playing so poorly this season. Hopefully people stick around and check out the new brewery, restaurants, etc

Navy is actually having a pretty good season, Notre Dame is the team that is terrible this year.

RattlerGator

« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2016, 06:30:40 PM »
Announced attendance was 50,867. Not bad at all. The Squids we rented to came over from Eglin AFB, loved the stadium and the game, stayed out until 4:30 a.m., and obviously had a great time in Big Duval.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #110 on: August 28, 2017, 11:15:49 AM »
It appears that Jacksonville is trying to host the displaced game between BYU & LSU.

pierre

« Reply #111 on: August 28, 2017, 11:37:41 AM »
It appears that Jacksonville is trying to host the displaced game between BYU & LSU.

Orlando and Nashville also it sounds like.

JBTripper

« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2017, 03:38:12 PM »
Why don't they just play it in Provo? Is LSU too chicken?

fsquid

« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2017, 04:36:45 PM »

that would be fun.

copperfiend

« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2017, 08:14:57 AM »
The game is moved to New Orleans. Kind of surprising considering parts of Louisiana are flooding too.

JBTripper

« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2017, 09:27:19 AM »
LSU steals another home game.

FlaBoy

KenFSU

Florida State opening their 2019-2020 season at TIAA Bank Field here in Jax.

Should be a press conference tomorrow.

WARM UP YOUR CHOP, ENNIS.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

ProjectMaximus

Against Boise State. Should be fun!

MusicMan

Smurfs...........