Author Topic: Jacksonville Not So Good For Valentine's Day  (Read 1472 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Jacksonville Not So Good For Valentine's Day
« on: February 13, 2015, 09:40:01 AM »
Jacksonville Not So Good For Valentine's Day

To give celebrants a sense of the Day of Hearts deal they’re getting compared with the rest of the country, WalletHub examined 100 of the most populated cities across 15 key metrics. The data set includes such measures as restaurant meal costs, the number of attractions and the number of florists per capita. Compared to the rest of the country, Jacksonville doesn't look so hot.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2015-feb-jacksonville-not-so-good-for-valentines-day

Redbaron616

Re: Jacksonville Not So Good For Valentine's Day
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 08:26:43 PM »
This is sheer silliness. You will pay more money for the same meal in bigger cities than Jax. Does that mean the meal is better because you paid more? Of course not. Number of florists per capita doesn't mean much either. Florists don't get by on business from Valentine's Day alone. They need to make a go of it the other 364 days out of the year. A higher death rate per capita for a city would probably mean more florists, so that can skew data. Also, if the florists are well-positioned geographically in relation to the population, you probably need fewer of them. This is one of those news stories where someone threw some data together quickly and hoped no one actually sat down and thought about the logic, or lack thereof, involved.   ::)

I-10east

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 09:05:26 PM »
^^^Actually they penalized cities with expensive dinners.

Compared to the rest of the country, Jacksonville doesn't look so hot.

Making it sound like Jax is dead last. Negative titles turns heads I guess....

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 11:29:57 AM »
Jax isn't a romantic city.  Who cares?  Most cities aren't.  I can totally see SF at #1, even with its more expensive dinners for two.  It's a very romantic city.  And # florists is a pretty good barometer imo.  The study put Miami at #1 and Atlanta at #5 for this measure.  I'm not sure how they arrive at their numbers, but I've never been in a city with so much accessibility to flowers in my life as San Francisco (I'm very familiar with both Miami and Atlanta and they don't seem special in this regard to me).  Aside from florists, every block in the financial district has a flower stand.  There is also the only wholesale flower mart in the country right in the city and a major developer is spending $86M to keep the flower mart on-site so it can build 3 office towers above it (community outrage at the thought of losing the flower mart forced the developer's hand).

Anyway, I digress.  I live in the #1 Valentine's city and went to bed early on Sat night.  So it's not #1 for everyone ;)  If I lived in Jax, I'd probably already be married by now.  Haha
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005