Author Topic: 9 Real Town Centers Worth Visiting In The First Coast  (Read 2231 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
9 Real Town Centers Worth Visiting In The First Coast
« on: February 09, 2015, 06:10:02 AM »
9 Real Town Centers Worth Visiting In The First Coast

Here are nine authentic town centers that prove there's more to Jacksonville and the First Coast than the typical suburban shopping mall.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2015-feb-9-real-town-centers-worth-visiting-in-the-first-coast

coredumped

• Huge Member
Re: 9 Real Town Centers Worth Visiting In The First Coast
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 10:14:22 AM »
Old Arlington is, rightfully, left off this list. I wish that part of town would revitalize:
http://photos.metrojacksonville.com/Neighborhoods/Old-Arlington-Commercial/17737601_ZCBXZ4#!i=1373084006&k=6ZW8pDz
Jags season ticket holder.

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 10:58:40 AM »
No Springfield?  The first time I visited Springfield, I felt like I was transported back to the northeast. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 11:11:28 AM »
I got the same impression when first visiting Springfield after I graduated college. The more I explored the ignored Northside, the more I discovered what I felt about Springfield to be the norm in Jacksonville's older neighborhoods as well. Definitely something unique in the state of Florida.

Looking at the 9 places mentioned, there's no Panama Park (Main St), New Springfield (Main St), Phoenix (Phoenix Av), Eastside (A Philip Randolph), Brentwood (Pearl St), Mixon Town (Edison Av), Lackawanna (McDuff Av), St. Nicholas (Atlantic/Beach Blvds), San Marco (San Marco Blvd/Hendricks Av), Durkeeville (Myrtle Av), Brooklyn (Park St), Campbell Hill (Myrtle Av) or Moncrief (Moncrief Rd) either.

I don't think the article states they don't exist. It just points out a few vibrant strips that do exist. In reality, we have over 30 unique neighborhood oriented "town centers" still standing in COJ's urban core alone. Most are situated along former streetcar lines and junctions. Hopefully, one day they all can be just as vibrant as a few of these strips mentioned in Kristen's article.

McDuff Avenue in the heart of Lackawanna
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 11:14:23 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali