Author Topic: Living in Springfield  (Read 13484 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Living in Springfield
« on: January 31, 2015, 03:00:04 AM »
Living in Springfield

From EU Jacksonville and written by Shannon Blankinship. Some of the best things about Springfield.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2015-jan-living-in-springfield

jaxjaguar

Re: Living in Springfield
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 01:52:49 AM »
Does anyone know anything about May Mann Jennings park? I always see it on Google maps and it looks huge, but I can find virtually no information about it... Is it nice / safe? Is it open to the public?

Bill Hoff

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 06:13:02 AM »
Does anyone know anything about May Mann Jennings park? I always see it on Google maps and it looks huge, but I can find virtually no information about it... Is it nice / safe? Is it open to the public?

No idea.

That's not in SPR.

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 07:56:37 AM »

No idea.

That's not in SPR.

Always so helpful to the neighbors...

strider

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 08:30:40 AM »
Some of us are....

It is 22.66 acres and is listed as undeveloped. I drive by it almost daily and had no idea it was actually a park! The google map I saw if it makes it look as if it includes the entire Evergreen Cemetery so I wonder if part of the original park is gone or can the area on the upper right hand corner of the map be 22 plus acres? In any case, the right up below is from the city site and indicates that once it was truly a nicely done park but has now been pretty much forgotten. It is not in Springfield but is certainly close enough to be or rather to have been part of the "Emerald Necklace".  In fact, in the street car days, it might have been a popular destination.

May Mann Jennings Park is located in north Jacksonville, southeast of Evergreen Cemetery, which was established in 1880. The City acquired most of the property in 1921-22, and it originally comprised part of Long Branch Park. Following extensive work by the Works Progress Administration, a lovely new park opened in 1940, named for May Mann Jennings (1873-1963), the wife of former Florida governor William S. Jennings. After moving to Jacksonville in 1905, she devoted the remainder of her life to local and state activism, becoming one of Florida’s most influential women. She worked tirelessly for the conservation of public lands in the state, headed the Florida Federation of Women’s Clubs, was co-founder of the Florida League of Women Voters, and much more. In recent years, the park grounds have been returned to a natural, undeveloped state.

Link to map:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/May+Mann+Jennings+Park/@30.369259,-81.640838,14z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x43f628d5f34b7ac9
"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." Patrica, Joe VS the Volcano.

acme54321

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 09:44:03 AM »

No idea.

That's not in SPR.

you mean its not in Historic Springfield.  Which was a designation of the squarish area where the city set its sites on redeveloping back in the 1980s

More than half of Sprigfield isn't in Historic Springfield.

May Mann Jennings Park was a pretty glorious WPA project named in honor of the gorgeous and brilliant woman who helped to create modern Jacksonville.  It had greek design elements all the way through it, including a gorgeous outdoor amphitheater, for performances and concerts.

It was however abandoned by the city as the area became primarily black and was simply allowed to be 'reclaimed' by the wilderness..

Ive been out through that park in the woods and its southern gothic at its finest

Is it still there?

acme54321

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 10:04:40 AM »
Do you have an address?  Or intersection it's at?  I like that kind of thing and looked it up but even on old aerial images it show nothing where the COJ and Google Maps indicate the park is at.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 12:11:53 PM »
Oh, I've been there. I didn't realize it wasn't part of the cemetery. It's pretty cool to see. Man, if that's a park we really need to take advantage of it.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

IrvAdams

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 12:47:44 PM »
Wow - I grew up in that neighborhood, not 1 mile from there, and never realized that was a park. Thanks so much for the information!
“He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still”
- Lao Tzu

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 12:59:03 PM »
Sounds like we need to do a photo tour of the ruins.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Gunnar

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 01:12:10 PM »
Sounds like we need to do a photo tour of the ruins.

Please do !

:)
I want to live in a society where people can voice unpopular opinions because I know that as a result of that, a society grows and matures...” — Hugh Hefner

02roadking

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 01:26:38 PM »
That's pretty interesting. I'll check that out Saturday afternoon...should be nice out that day.
Springfield since 1998

Bill Hoff

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 04:46:14 PM »

No idea.

That's not in SPR.

you mean its not in Historic Springfield.  Which was a designation of the squarish area where the city set its sites on redeveloping back in the 1980s

More than half of Sprigfield isn't in Historic Springfield.

That park is up near 40th Street. Not in SPR at all, historic district or not.

Bill Hoff

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 05:17:59 PM »
According to the map on the SPAR website, the park is about a 6 minute bike ride from what SPAR defines as the border of Springfield. Certainly close enough to ask the initial question in a topic called Living in Springfield, in my opinion.

But if one wants to make it snobbishly clear that you have "no idea" about things "outside" Springfield, even if it's walking distance away, mission accomplished.

Many people, including some local media, lump huge swaths of the area north of Downtown into SPR, when they're not. Just clarifying that that neck of woods has is its own neighborhood and has its own identity. We see Brooklyn & Riverside getting mixed up these days, and lakelander just posted excellent articles on the forgotten Mixon Town and Sugar Hill areas. It's important not to forget that each area is unique, so I'm a bit of an accuracy nut when it comes to neighborhoods (my brother still gets pissed when I correct him in saying he lives in Miramar, not San Marco).

Or, call me names. I'm good either way : )
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:20:16 PM by Bill Hoff »

IrvAdams

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 05:29:49 PM »
Well, what is that area called? Around Evergreen Cemetery, I mean. The area roughly from Andrew Jackson High going north up to North Shore Elementary, along Main street.
“He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still”
- Lao Tzu