Author Topic: UNF tops JU; but that's not all the excitement  (Read 7241 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
UNF tops JU; but that's not all the excitement
« on: January 16, 2015, 03:00:03 AM »
UNF tops JU; but that's not all the excitement

A night of local college basketball at Veterans Memorial Arena.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2015-jan-unf-tops-ju-but-thats-not-all-the-excitement

I-10east

Re: UNF tops JU; but that's not all the excitement
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 06:49:33 AM »
UNF's latest win was Florida Gulf Coast University, the 2013 cinderellas. They are above .500 at 10-9. It would be nice if more folks came out the see the basketball games.

copperfiend

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 09:18:13 AM »
With the Atlantic Sun postseason tournament, the highest seeded teams is host. So if UNF can win the conference, it will be played at UNF Arena.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 11:01:30 AM »
This local rivalry has been a lot of fun for both schools. I highly encourage all local sports fans to check it out. The UNF edition is Friday, Feb. 6 and it should be a pretty packed house.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

coredumped

• Huge Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 11:03:32 AM »
Do they still pass the barrel back and forth in the "battle for the barrel" aka "River City Rumble"

Jags season ticket holder.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 11:12:13 AM »
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Dapperdan

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 11:36:25 AM »
UNF is a team to watch this year. They are really good. I would be surprised if they aren't in the big tournament this March. It seems like they could easily win the A-Sun

copperfiend

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 11:40:28 AM »
UNF is a team to watch this year. They are really good. I would be surprised if they aren't in the big tournament this March. It seems like they could easily win the A-Sun

Definitely the best squad in their brief history. Some really good players on that team including Dallas Moore. Moore was the A-Sun Freshman of the Year last season and could be the A-Sun Player of the Year this season.

RattlerGator

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 10:16:09 PM »
I'd love to see both programs elevate and challenge for inclusion in March Madness. The city needs something like that. It has been a long, long time since J.U. really rocked the Coliseum.

spuwho

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 12:54:02 AM »
UNF was upset at home tonight by SC Upstate. UNF up 11 at the half, Upstate used a 2nd half press and some blistering 3 pointers to reverse the deficit and get there own 11 pont lead with just 2 minutes to play.

UNF fought back with a major 3 by Beau Beech and Dallas Moore breaking some great full court runs to the basket.

UNF got within 3 with 45 seconds left and had no less than 3 opportunities to close the gap and couldn't convert. Beech was called on an inbounds play, an offensive foul was called and a missed tip in all led to the missed chance. When UNF pressed on their final defensive stand, they almost had them trapped in the backcourt but Upstate beat it by 1 second and they got an easy layup to seal it.

It was the tale of two halves. UNF dominated the first, Upstate dominated the second.

It was UNF's first loss in the A-Sun this year.

If UNF finishes the year like they played in the first half, they can win the A-Sun tournament.  But they seemed mentally out of sync in the 2nd half.

They play JU again next week. I hope they can pull it together after a tough loss.

Westside Guy

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 09:31:14 PM »
UNF beat Florida Gulf Coast down in Fort Myers tonight to secure first place in the Atlantic Sun Conference.  All they have to do is win next week against Stetson (or have FGCU lose to JU) and they will be the number one seed in the Atlantic Sun Tournament.  I'll be looking forward to going to all the playoff games at UNF when its tournament time, and then hopefully on to the big tourney in March.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 09:49:13 PM by Westside Guy »

spuwho

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 11:49:56 PM »
UNF beat Florida Gulf Coast down in Fort Myers tonight to secure first place in the Atlantic Sun Conference.  All they have to do is win next week against Stetson (or have FGCU lose to JU) and they will be the number one seed in the Atlantic Sun Tournament.  I'll be looking forward to going to all the playoff games at UNF when its tournament time, and then hopefully on to the big tourney in March.

Making history here......I love it. If UNF makes it to March Madness it will be great.

Unfortunately (if they win) they will probably get paired with Wisconsin or Duke. (as Belmont used to always get when they won the A Sun)

However, 2 important factoids.  UNF (if they make it) have played some other teams that will probably get a berth.  Purdue recovered from that loss to UNF and is currently doing well in the Big Ten and will get a seed. UNF was crushed by (at the time unranked) Northern Iowa, now ranked in the top ten in polls.

Now we just need to cheer the cross town rival JU to beat FGCU.

UNFurbanist

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 11:53:23 AM »
Everyone should come out to the Stetson game on Saturday @7! It is the last regular season game before the A-Sun tournament and also the homecoming game so the atmosphere will be wild with a bunch of tailgating beforehand. UNF is blowing up this year and Stetson will be no match!

Ajax

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 03:38:11 PM »
I'm really happy to see the program doing well.  I'll be at the first tournament game on Tuesday, and hopefully two more after that.  I hope someone knocks Upstate out - they seem to have our number...

spuwho

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 04:55:14 PM »
I'm really happy to see the program doing well.  I'll be at the first tournament game on Tuesday, and hopefully two more after that.  I hope someone knocks Upstate out - they seem to have our number...

We seem to not be able to stop Ty Greene from Upstate. He is their senior and top scorer.

In the game at UNF, they shut him down pretty good in the first half, but in tbe second half he got hot and we just didnt have an answer.

You have to play him physical and force him off his routes around the perimeter. For some reason theyy stopped that in that second half.

I am not sure what happened up in Spartanburg, but Ty scored 26.  Upstate must have really had that game marked on their schedule becuase they totally bombed the next game against JU at Upstate. One of JU biggest wins of the year.

Playing Upstate in the championship game and winning would be very sweet!!