Author Topic: I-95 Overland Bridge Project Overview  (Read 6167 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
I-95 Overland Bridge Project Overview
« on: December 28, 2014, 11:30:02 PM »
I-95 Overland Bridge Project Overview

Insight to what the Overland Bridge project on I-95, downtown Jacksonville, Florida will accomplish when completed in summer 2016.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-dec-i-95-overland-bridge-project-overview

tufsu1

Re: I-95 Overland Bridge Project Overview
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 08:14:34 AM »
The Times-Union article this weekend, referencing this video, was pretty much useless.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 10:03:03 AM »
The project was held up nearly 2 months because ATT refused to get to the site and move their trunk cables. The first opening portion will be the flyover onto Atlantic. The engineer for the project lives next door!

Kerry

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 03:12:59 PM »
It is too late now but we could have saved a lot of tax money and added back a bunch of land to the tax roles if we had just routed I-95 along the east beltway and took this whole section of freeway out and return the street grid.  The freeway from I-295 to Atlantic Blvd could have just been renamed to I-795.  An at-grade boulevard could have then completed the route into downtown.  Can you imagine how much lighter rush-hour traffic could have been if all the thru-traffic was routed around the city.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 03:16:01 PM by Kerry »
Third Place

cline

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 03:24:03 PM »
That video sucked.

NIMBY

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 10:26:02 AM »
The video may not have had great production quality but you have to admit it was economical and informative.  No complaints of squandering taxpayer's money on that one!

southsider1015

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 09:14:47 AM »
The project was held up nearly 2 months because ATT refused to get to the site and move their trunk cables. The first opening portion will be the flyover onto Atlantic. The engineer for the project lives next door!

Is there one engineer for the project? 

southsider1015

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 05:07:01 PM »
It is too late now but we could have saved a lot of tax money and added back a bunch of land to the tax roles if we had just routed I-95 along the east beltway and took this whole section of freeway out and return the street grid.  The freeway from I-295 to Atlantic Blvd could have just been renamed to I-795.  An at-grade boulevard could have then completed the route into downtown.  Can you imagine how much lighter rush-hour traffic could have been if all the thru-traffic was routed around the city.

I'm NB on I-95, and I'm headed to I-10 WB.  I cross the river at Dames Point (or another river crossing?) on my route?

Believe it or not, there is a SIGNIFICANT amount of local traffic between the Beaches, Southside, and Downtown, which is the reason on why there IS such a rush hour traffic issue.  It's not specifically due to the regional traffic coming/going from I-95/I-10.  Your proposed solution wouldn't solve the problem at hand.

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 07:59:11 PM »
Is it possible to create something RAM-like under the overpasses in San Marco?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 08:06:42 PM »
Max I heard they were going to put in a multi-use path under the overland bridge to connect the two ends of the riverwalk. I'm not sure if that's just a rumor, but that would be awesome.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 08:19:45 PM »
^I haven't heard this and it doesn't appear to feasible, according to the Overland Bridge plans. The only bike infrastructure I'm aware of is along Atlantic Boulevard, under the overpass.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 08:25:00 PM »
Then there's the multi-use path that will be added when FDOT widens the Fuller Warren Bridge, connecting the Northbank and Southbank Riverwalks.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 08:28:48 PM »
Yes, I predict that FDOT will win awards for working with the community and including that as a part of the Fuller Warren Bridge project! It's a transformational project that will lead to economic development opportunities and a more balanced multimodal transportation network on both sides of the river.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 09:06:40 PM »
^I haven't heard this and it doesn't appear to feasible, according to the Overland Bridge plans. The only bike infrastructure I'm aware of is along Atlantic Boulevard, under the overpass.

Why wouldn't that be feasible? The way the off-on ramps are designed?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 09:38:57 PM »
I think Captain Zissou may be talking about the Fuller Warren Bridge project.  The Overland Bridge's west end is at Hendricks Avenue. That's as close at it will get to the Southbank Riverwalk.