Author Topic: Massive I-95/JTB Expansion Project Underway  (Read 13523 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Massive I-95/JTB Expansion Project Underway
« on: December 22, 2014, 03:00:03 AM »
Massive I-95/JTB Expansion Project Underway

The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) has started construction on the $67 million project to improve the I-95/Butler Boulevard interchange. This comes 10 months after FDOT and Governor Rick Scott announced the accelerated project at a press conference in February.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-dec-massive-i-95jtb-expansion-project-underway

tufsu1

Re: Massive I-95/JTB Expansion Project Underway
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 08:18:32 AM »
This is SOOOOO AWESOME!!!!!

bencrix

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 08:45:47 AM »
Finally!

brainstormer

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 09:26:54 AM »
When you think about it, Metro Jax collectively has had such a positive impact on raising issues related to making Jacksonville a better city. The pedestrian path on this project and on the Fuller Warren have been spurred by members emailing and speaking up when leaders and developers allow themselves to be short-sighted or lazy.

Will the path be able to safely connect all the way to Belfort? I see people walking/biking along this stretch of JTB all the time and I fear for their lives.

reednavy

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 12:49:37 AM »
Out of curiosity, is there ever a chance JTB could be upgraded to an interstate spur or have to to wait until certain interchanges, like Southside, get redone?
Jacksonville: We're not vertically challenged, just horizontally gifted!

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 08:57:39 AM »
Not looking forward to the work, but this one has to be done. 

tufsu1

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 11:34:35 AM »
Out of curiosity, is there ever a chance JTB could be upgraded to an interstate spur or have to to wait until certain interchanges, like Southside, get redone?

there is nothing wrong with the JTB/Southside interchange...it meets federal standards

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 12:06:37 PM »
So the double line of cars, a mile long, waiting for a traffic light to get onto Butler from I-95 South, doesn't seem odd to you for such a busy feeder highway?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 12:19:35 PM »
^I think they are referring to another interchange. The JTB/Southside interchange is a few miles east of this particular project at I-95.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

cline

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 12:37:35 PM »
The segment of JTB west of I-95 is more of a local road in its design with lights and access points (driveways) to businesses so that section really couldn't function in its current state as an interstate.  The segment east of I-95 could however.

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 04:30:58 PM »
Oh, duh, Lake. Senior moment.  I saw Southside Blvd, and thought Butler.  :-)

spuwho

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 05:16:27 PM »
The I-95/JTB exit is a remnant of when Belfort curved west at the former St Lukes (now St Vincents)and ended at Philips. Essentially a rural style exit.

JTB when conceived in the 1960's as an expressway from downtown and the beach was originally supposed to follow a ROW northwest after Southside and connect with the Commodore Point Expressway (more known as the Hart Bridge Expressway) right where it curves and ends at Beach Boulevard.

However, when the plan was announced and JTA worked to acquire the ROW, many people in the Parental Home/Hogan/Brackridge neighborhoods which predated consolidation complained that it was going to destroy their neighborhoods completely (which is correct, they would have been obliterated)

In response, Commordore Point Expressway was turned east at Beach and brought down to street level. This was easy to do because Parental Home used to end at Hogan and this was once a switching yard for the FEC Mayport Line and a logging railroad that went defunct after WWI.

JTB was then turned west at Southside towards a terminus with I-95 on top of the old Belfort Road route. However for reasons I haven't found any information on, the FHA approved design ends/begins at the Pottsburg Creek Bridge.  JTB between the creek and I-95 is not considered FHA compliant. The JTB bridge over Belfort clearly shows that it was planned and built to support a future FHA compliant interchange with I-95. But I haven't seen any reasons why it was cut short the way it was.

Until I can find the T-U articles from the late 70's and early 80's that outlines any of the behind the scenes going on, I can only speculate.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 09:11:17 PM »
Pretty cool. Thanks for sharing that nugget of Jax history.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

southsider1015

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 09:12:37 AM »

there is nothing wrong with the JTB/Southside interchange...it meets federal standards

2011 FHWA Greenbook criteria?  Weave lengths on the ramps?  Horizontal geometry on the cloverleaf ramps?  Should I continue?

This interchange is despised in Jacksonville by both motorists and transportation engineers. There's plenty wrong with this interchange.

spuwho

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 02:19:07 PM »
The only issues I am aware of is that the outside diameter of the north circle ramps is not consistent.  The issue has been most pronounced on the JTB West ramp to Southside southbound.

JTA had replaced the inside lightpole by my count 13 times in 2 years due to people advancing on the ramp to fast and losing control. In 2014 JTA finally moved the lightpole back 30 yards to keep from having to replace it so often. So even though they have adequate speed reduction signs, there really isnt enough length to the transition lane on JTB.

They need to increase the pitch on these ramps because due to property lines, they cant increase the diameter.