Author Topic: Revitalizing Urban Riverfronts: Wilmington, DE  (Read 10273 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Revitalizing Urban Riverfronts: Wilmington, DE
« on: December 17, 2014, 03:00:02 AM »
Revitalizing Urban Riverfronts: Wilmington, DE

Historically, Downtown Jacksonville's riverfront shares a lot in common with Wilmington's use of the Christina River. Over the last 15 years, Wilmington has successfully transformed its once decaying riverfront with a variety of mixed uses. Perhaps there's a lesson that may be applicable for downtown Jacksonville's future?

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-dec-revitalizing-urban-riverfronts-wilmington-de

Noone

Re: Revitalizing Urban Riverfronts: Wilmington, DE
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 05:01:59 AM »
The biggest lesson is to open the River. Not just pick the winners and losers.

urbanlibertarian

• Duuuvaall!!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 08:59:39 AM »
We have COJ and the Jags working to develop our shipyards.  What can we do inexpensively to better utilize the old courthouse parking lot on the riverfront?  I'm thinking maybe outdoor Sunday brunch.  Maybe a food truck or food stand area on Friday and Saturday nights.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes (Who watches the watchmen?)

Thad Crowe

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 09:48:03 AM »
Wish there were more of those old warehouses left. IMO remove the three big lots (CSX, Landing, Old courthouse), convert them to interconnected urban plazas with limited/organic leased private activity (food trucks, market stalls), put in lots of trees, blow Laura St. through Landing of course, open up view corridors whenever possible. Light shows at night - light art by art students? How about floating & (slowly) moving docks & boardwalks? Wonder if that could work. Just create life!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 10:04:10 AM »
^Tomorrow's article will be a neighborhood tour of downtown Jax's industrial riverfront, highlighting what's left with a little history mixed in.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

urbanlibertarian

• Duuuvaall!!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 10:19:25 AM »
^Looking forward to it.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes (Who watches the watchmen?)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 10:30:27 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm going to have to push this story back. I just spent three hours finishing it, only to have the computer go into an automatic update as I was moving the mouse to save. >:( >:( >:(

Lost it all and too upset to attempt to start writing over again. Will save for another day when I have the energy.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 10:56:26 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Thad Crowe

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 10:45:05 AM »
Take your time Ennis - darn computers! Look forward to it. Hey, isn't Delaware a big financial center due to big state tax breaks or rule exemptions? That would help them. Lots of companies headquartered there I think. Couldn't agree more about future Shipyard Development - small and organic is beautiful, with a coherent master plan in place.

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 10:53:16 AM »
Hey, isn't Delaware a big financial center due to big state tax breaks or rule exemptions? That would help them. Lots of companies headquartered there I think.

Yep one of the largest if not the largest, mainly for favorable rules and privacy. Good tie-in to Jacksonville with the Duponts as well.

spuwho

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 12:34:38 AM »
I have frequented Wilmington several times for work.

Eaten at Harry's Seafood Grill on the riverfront as well. Good food, good service.

3 things I like about what they have done.

- The restoration of the riverfront
- Easy access to the rail stations downtown
- Building the corporate offices right uphill from the train stations

I fly into Philly when going to Wilmington and take SEPTA or a cab if late. It's still a work in progress, like the old GM plant and the DuPont factory, but they are trying to revitalize their urban core.

I-10east

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 09:19:51 AM »
I drove through while heading to Pennsylvania earlier this year, and I can't say that Wilmington left a great impression on me. I'm not a fan of the state of Delaware in general. The two things that comes to mind is the beginning of toll hell, and the place the has no service signs (to let you know where Exxon, Mc Donalds etc) on the highway.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 01:19:37 PM »
^Did you get a chance to get off the interstate?  Both, the revamped Christina riverfront area and Market Street are pretty nice.

tufsu1

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 09:51:35 AM »
this article makes the case that Wilmington is primarily a pass-through city....sound familiar?

http://nextcity.org/features/view/fortune-500-companies-a-central-location-and-low-taxes-cant-fix-wilmington

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 11:10:40 AM »
Hmm. It is but it could be a lot worse. At 10.9 square miles, the City of Wilmington is essentially an "inner city" or "urban core" area of a much larger community. Sort of like the roles Detroit and Miami play for their core counties.

Within those 10.9 square miles, there are +71k residents living there despite a good chunk of that land area being commercial, industrial and brownfield sites.  That's a gain of +1k residents since the 1980 census. I can only imagine how virbant DT Jax would be today if the neighbors surrounding it had gained 1,000 people since 1980 as opposed to disappearing completely over the same time frame. Heck, there would probably still be a department store where city hall is today.

The article states that shell companies have created 51,335 jobs in Wilmington and that city residents (people who live in those 10.9 square miles of land area) hold 7,568 of them. In Jax, our 30 square mile preconsolidated city has lost 50% (a little over 100k residents) since 1950.  It's just been masked with explosive suburban growth all over the rest of Duval County. I'd suspect that the majority of those 51k jobs require higher education and these workers probably live in Wilmington's suburbs (in Jax, this would mean Baymeadows, Argyle, Oceanway, Southside, etc.).

Wilmington, like all inner cities has several issues and challenges to overcome but it appears to be stable (or stagnant). There's also an economic situation already in place that the community can at least continue to build around and improve. Of course some additional economic diversity would help. Perhaps, the city should get mroe involved in the East Coast port race, if it isn't already?

Anyway, I'm sure the Toledos, Buffalos, Garys, Macons, etc. of the country would love to have a few cards out of Wilmington's deck, to play with.

Yes, the author is correct that a city with less residents than Palm Coast isn't a DC or Philly....but neither is most of America.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 11:13:40 AM by thelakelander »

I-10east

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 04:43:38 PM »
Wilmington has alot of crime. What's currently making waves now is a girl was beaten to death inside a Wilmington high school's girls bathroom by a group of girls. I knew that it is very ratchet when I went through there on my trip to Penn. Newsweek dubbed Wilmington as 'Murdertown USA'. Colin Flaherty is from there, and has documented a slew of constant violence. They have a very incompetent city government also, towing the usual 'blacks are constant victims of police' liberal bullshit of course. Wilmington is basically a small more ghetto version of Philly (which is ghetto itself). Don't let any positives on this thread fool you.

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/12/19/wilmington-delaware-murder-crime-290232.html

http://www.phillyvoice.com/high-school-student-beaten-death-school-dismissed/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 05:05:26 PM by I-10east »