Author Topic: Confirmed: Sprawl and Bad Transit Increase Unemployment  (Read 2553 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Confirmed: Sprawl and Bad Transit Increase Unemployment
« on: December 04, 2014, 06:40:01 AM »
Confirmed: Sprawl and Bad Transit Increase Unemployment

If this recently released study is right, Jacksonville may have a long term problem on its hands.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-dec-confirmed-sprawl-and-bad-transit-increase-unemployment

spuwho

Re: Confirmed: Sprawl and Bad Transit Increase Unemployment
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 10:03:18 AM »
So NYC, which has a large availability of transit options, still has to enforce zoning options and rent controls so that the lesser paid can be relatively close to employment centers.

So I cant say the issue is 100% driven by underserved transit areas.

High income areas push out low income options due to their desire to get closer to their employers. Unfortunately this prices out people who are lower on the compensation scale.

Matrixed housing options have been pushed into recent civic ARB's to try to alleviate the issue. This is housing sharing the same building, different doors, different floor plans that support a range of income models.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 06:53:35 PM »
Don't worry, bus route optimization and BRT will 'revolutionize transit' in our city!  NOT!

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 09:14:43 PM »
Lake, where was the photo taken of the bus stop in the mud? Cross walk? Bet not!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 10:38:34 PM »
^West 12th Street, one block east of Edgewood Avenue near Biltmore Elementary School.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

mtraininjax

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 05:34:24 AM »
This carefully controlled study looked at a sample of 247,000 lower-income workers in nine U.S. metros in the Great Lakes region of the Midwest.

There is the flaw in the study, only looking at metros that have historically high unemployment numbers. I understand that for ANY study to succeed, you have to go where there are numbers, but I don't see the validity in this study since you could throw a dart at a map and hit any number of troubled communities with high unemployment.

For the study to have any real merit in Jacksonville, you would think that the comments would show how that study pertains to the Jacksonville Communities. Seeing none, nice article, don't see much merit to it here in Jax.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

WarDamJagFan

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 12:51:26 PM »
I'm taking this with a grain of Salt considering what the headline says and implies - that Sprawl and Bad Transit increase unemployment.

If this is truly the case, then cities like Atlanta and Dallas would be facing  issues for jobs - which they really aren't. Atlanta may have MARTA, but while living there for nearly 16 months, I only used a few times to get to the airport with a couple events sprinkled here and there. 

I also just spent some time in Dallas. We didn't use public transportation to get anywhere and we drove quite a bit to get anywhere (also absurd amounts of traffic like Atlanta) as Dallas is also massive and spread out. Granted, they have a very active downtown, but that area in general is growing more on the horizontal front than vertical.