Author Topic: JTA's New Bus System Debuts Today  (Read 11862 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
JTA's New Bus System Debuts Today
« on: December 01, 2014, 03:00:03 AM »
JTA's New Bus System Debuts Today

After months of promotion and fanfare, the Jacksonville Transportation Authority's new network of bus routes begins today.  Here's a look the new way to get around town.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-dec-jtas-new-bus-system-debuts-today

Bike Jax

• Bike Jax
Re: JTA's New Bus System Debuts Today
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 09:34:35 AM »
So far, the real real time tracking and app are functioning perfectly and are a great enhancement. I see problems arising from JTA's own site where if someone were to click on "Bus Schedules" they are presented with the old routes and times. Same if clicked on (or can get to work) JTA's "Trip Planner."

jaxlore

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 10:29:20 AM »
I now have to a ten minute walk to the bus stop before it was right around the corner. For me this is almost a no go in the morning. With that extra 10 minutes I could hop on a bike and be half way to work. I hope it works out better for others.

tufsu1

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 11:09:26 AM »
^ how long is the total trip now vs. before...and does the bus run more frequently?

coredumped

• Huge Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 12:59:22 PM »
Still, they have not given their information to google (which is FREE). Even DAB is on there! Here's the list of Florida transit authorities using google maps:

Multi-Region
        Broward County Transit
        Manatee County Area Transit
        Martin County Public Transit
        Palm Tran
        Polk County Transit Services
        SFRTA/Tri-Rail
        Space Coast Area Transit
        Sumter County Transit
    Daytona Beach
        Votran
    Gainesville
        Regional Transit System
    Lakeland
        Lakeland
    Miami
        Miami Dade Transit
    Orlando
        Central Florida Regional Transit Authority
        Florida Department of Transportation
    Sarasota
        Sarasota County Area Transit (Layer Only)
    St. Petersburg
        PSTA
    Tampa
        Hillsborough Area Regional Transit
    Winter Haven
        Winter Haven Area Transit

http://maps.google.com/help/maps/mapcontent/transit/
Jags season ticket holder.

BrSpiritus

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 04:35:33 PM »
I swear JTA took the old system map, threw it in a blender and hit frappe then glued it back together to come up with this hot mess.  Before, my wife rode the R5 from Riverside to Regency to get to work now it's 2 or 3 buses depending on what route she takes.  Before she could get going about 1 1/2 hours before work and get there on time now it's 3-4 hours.  Once the free week ends, watch the system just turn up it's toes and die as people find other ways to get to work.

tufsu1

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 09:49:44 AM »
Nat Ford said today that things went very well yesterday and complaints/issues were minimal

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 01:38:17 PM »
How’d Day 1 of new JTA bus routes go? It depends on who you ask

By Max Marbut, Staff Writer

When the afternoon peak travel period began Monday at Rosa Parks Station Downtown, Jacksonville Transportation Authority officials described the first day of the revamp of mass transit in Duval County as a success.
“Day 1 went very well,” JTA spokeswoman Leigh Ann Rassler said of the opening of the

massive Route Optimization Initiative. “We are pleased with

the launch.”

Passengers who used the new routes and schedules weren’t as enthusiastic.

Lucille White has been riding the bus for 10 years. She said with the new system, she now has to take two buses instead of one to get home in the afternoon. And the buses were crowded to the point of standing room only.

“They had it right before. This is crazy,” she said.

Full article: http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=544418
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

iMarvin

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 03:16:00 PM »
Their website has no list of the routes, schedules, or a system map. All I see is the sharepoint site but it's not user friendly. Why haven't they updated their website?

Edit: Looks like they finally put up the system map: https://sharepoint.jtafla.com/sites/ROI/PublishingImages/JTA%20System%20Map%20Brochure%20(34x35int).pdf
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 05:17:01 PM by iMarvin »

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 06:17:09 PM »
Their website has no list of the routes, schedules, or a system map. All I see is the sharepoint site but it's not user friendly. Why haven't they updated their website?

Edit: Looks like they finally put up the system map: https://sharepoint.jtafla.com/sites/ROI/PublishingImages/JTA%20System%20Map%20Brochure%20(34x35int).pdf

I agree...I wanted to study the new routes so I used the interactive map, cross-referenced with the old routes, then had to use the share point and guess which old routes corresponded to the new routes I wanted to study, and then click on the pdf brochure to see the entire route maps and schedules. A lot was wrong from a website interface standpoint. I really hope the actual changes have helped more potential riders.

exnewsman

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 07:44:03 PM »

Here's the link to the list of new schedules:

https://sharepoint.jtafla.com/sites/ROI/Pages/Bus-Schedules.aspx

JTA has the conversion information (old to new routes) in their Quick Links section. Under Schedules is just the new routes with a separate conversion chart.
https://sharepoint.jtafla.com/sites/ROI/Pages/Bus-Schedules.aspx

coredumped

• Huge Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 07:51:45 PM »
JTA has always had the worst website, another reason they should offer their routes to Google, for free! Why they, or anyone, would use sharepoint is beyond insane.
Jags season ticket holder.

IrvAdams

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 08:42:40 PM »
I can say from unscientific observation over the last couple of days that bus ridership by both the regulars and the curious seems to be way up. I have certainly observed more people at bus stops than I can ever remember seeing before.

Also, driving around town and consulting the NextBus app is pretty cool. It tells you, based on where you are at the moment, the closest stop and what buses are coming and going from there and when.
“He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still”
- Lao Tzu

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 12:31:05 AM »
Also, driving around town and consulting the NextBus app is pretty cool. It tells you, based on where you are at the moment, the closest stop and what buses are coming and going from there and when.

That to me, without a doubt, is the best improvement of all. But having traveled extensively around Asia, I find it low-hanging fruit. Still, I'll take it!

David

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 01:42:10 PM »
I posted this on another thread originally ...but has anyone ridden the bus since the new routes changes took effect?

I have a fairly lengthy commute to Riverside from Mandarin and the bus travel times aren't much longer than driving at rush hour according to the JTA website.  I might give it a shot if i can sit and ride vs driving in stop-n-go traffic for 45 minutes.

Also, does anyone know how scarce the bike rack availability are on the buses? One leg of the trip suggest a 15 minute walk, i'd prefer to bike that part if possible.