Author Topic: 5 Places That Prove We Don't Build Them Like We Used To  (Read 2008 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
5 Places That Prove We Don't Build Them Like We Used To
« on: November 26, 2014, 03:00:03 AM »
5 Places That Prove We Don't Build Them Like We Used To

They say we don't build them like we used to. Here's five places around town that suggest this saying may be true.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-nov-5-places-that-prove-we-dont-build-them-like-we-used-to

Redbaron616

Re: 5 Places That Prove We Don't Build Them Like We Used To
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 08:18:25 AM »
As well as their exterior beauty, buildings built in the past were built better. Much of that was because they couldn't calculate the absolute minimum as they can today, so they built it sturdier, just in case. The Brooklyn Bridge comes to mind. Also, the drive to efficiency has also had its affect on architecture. When a company wants to get the absolute profit from everything it does, it will just put up a generic office building and not spend a lot more making a truly beautiful building. I guess we can realize that when the old, ornate buildings were put up, the profit margins for those businesses were probably larger than similar businesses can make today.

mbwright

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 08:43:08 AM »
Beautiful buildings, and Hemming Plaza, also.  Construction to the lowest price/common denominator has resulted in very bland and boring design.  The glass office buildings look absolutely dull compared to the old designs.  We look at Klutho, Wright, Louis Sullivan, and many other and say wow.  We don't say that about new construction.
I think the Masonic Temple (now insurance office) would be a good one to include on the list also.

Does anybody have any inside pictures of the Dorsey Bakery or old ones when it was in use as a bakery?

jaxlore

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 12:29:30 PM »
great article. it kills me when I see new construction around here. Everything looks like a modern day high school, cheap materials, cheap design, lowest bidder.

it would be interesting the last time a new building in Jacksonville won a design award.

jaxjaguar

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 12:59:14 PM »
great article. it kills me when I see new construction around here. Everything looks like a modern day high school, cheap materials, cheap design, lowest bidder.

it would be interesting the last time a new building in Jacksonville won a design award.

There has been a recent uptick in beautifully designed glass buildings now that computers can help us design safer structures and we have better quality materials mass produced. Shanghai Tower, Kingdom Tower, Lotte World Tower, Al Hamra Firdous Tower, and Tower Infinity come to mind as recent examples. Unfortunately, we'll never see any new sky scrapers in downtown Jax unless there's a crazy turnaround in population.

I'm pretty sure it was the current Wells Fargo building due to it's atrium, which was advanced for it's time.