Author Topic: JU Public Policy: Juvenile Justice Policy Forum  (Read 1365 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
JU Public Policy: Juvenile Justice Policy Forum
« on: November 18, 2014, 01:05:02 AM »
JU Public Policy: Juvenile Justice Policy Forum

On November 20, 2014 JU Public Policy Institute will host State Attorney Angela Corey, Sheriff John Rutherford, Public Defender Matt Shirk and Judge Henry Davis for their Juvenile Justice Policy Forum.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-nov-ju-public-policy-juvenile-justice-policy-forum

tayana42

Re: JU Public Policy: Juvenile Justice Policy Forum
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 11:17:52 AM »
One-sided panel; add Hank Coxe and some of the attorneys that Shirk fired and you might have a good discussion. 
The only thing that will move the needle on achieving any progress in juvenile justice is to replace Angela Corey.

tufsu1

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 11:26:04 AM »
I'm not sure its that one-sided.  Shirk and Corey have had their disagreements in the recent past, especially when it comes to prosecuting juveniles as adults.

TheCat

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 12:45:19 PM »
One-sided panel; add Hank Coxe and some of the attorneys that Shirk fired and you might have a good discussion. 
The only thing that will move the needle on achieving any progress in juvenile justice is to replace Angela Corey.

I don't know about one-sided...but a lot of "establishment" people speak at their conferences, which builds a certain level of credibility.

I will not be surprised if future JU Public Policy events include more speakers coming from differing perspectives.

Hank Coxe would have been the perfect person to include in this event.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:14:38 AM by TheCat »

djaffee

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 08:10:52 AM »
There will be no significant critical analysis or alternative perspective when every policy "forum" includes established insiders that are part of the criminal justice industrial complex. This is a sad commentary on this public policy institute. The same kind of panel was established for the education "forum". We have smart intelligent and critical criminal justice faculty at UNF (and I assume JU) that could make this conversation much more meaningful. Mullaney needs to step outside the establishment box from which he comes. 

ben says

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 08:19:51 AM »

I tend to agree with this sentiment...
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

TheCat

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 03:10:16 PM »
A reminder that this event is tonight.

Seems to be a bit controversial based on the facebook/twitter commentary.