Author Topic: Downtown Frankenstein: Remembering the Past  (Read 2663 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Downtown Frankenstein: Remembering the Past
« on: October 03, 2006, 12:00:00 AM »
Downtown Frankenstein: Remembering the Past

Before we move on to the future, we have to remember and learn from the past.  While, we wait for Stephen Dare's next installment on this series, Metro Jacksonville takes a look at downtown scene we destroyed in the name of progress.  This photograph was taken in the late 1930s on the corner of Main and Forsyth.  This block has now been replaced with a metal parking garage.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/219

Jim

It makes me sick...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 08:14:21 AM »
...to think our current administration most likely admires the devastation these pictures clearly demonstrate has taken place.

JJ

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 08:33:39 AM »
Wait a minute. I thought it was going to be pictures of Jacksonville.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 08:52:05 AM »
I was thinking the same thing Jim.  And to think that its still going on in Brooklyn and elsewhere....

KBoat

Clueless
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 10:14:10 PM »
This really stabs at the heart. Has our city been that clueless? ...the only answer is yes.

jeh1980

Re: Downtown Frankenstein: Remembering the Past
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 04:09:09 AM »
...to think our current administration most likely admires the devastation these pictures clearly demonstrate has taken place.
This really stabs at the heart. Has our city been that clueless? ...the only answer is yes.
::)
It's a disgrace of how we think about our current administration sometimes. I just can't believe how we talk about our administation like that! Every city in the 50's and 60's had to modernize. Times have changed throughout the years. Most cities had to face the same ol' thing. Take Dallas for instance. They tear down curtain buildings in order to rebuild just like us. But even THEY have a lot of surface parking lots in their downtown today like we do. I think it's no different with lots of other cities across America. We need to give our administation a chance to get things right and to correct the mistakes that they might have made. If we don't, we would be like a city that is full of people that are dying in the yesteryears. Lord forbid. I'm willing to forgive them for any mistake they made...so why not the rest of us? Keep the faith!  8)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 04:40:13 AM by jeh1980 »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Downtown Frankenstein: Remembering the Past
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 07:19:38 AM »
Dallas is a pretty bad example.  Their downtown is nothing more then a vertical office park.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali