Author Topic: Meeting To Extend I-795 Into St. Johns County Today  (Read 2155 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Meeting To Extend I-795 Into St. Johns County Today
« on: September 15, 2014, 11:10:01 AM »
Meeting To Extend I-795 Into St. Johns County Today

The City of Jacksonville may be on the verge of closing libraries, demolishing distressed neighborhoods, laying off public safety employees, and struggling to patch the holes in our municipal budget but life appears to be good when it comes to the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) and road construction. Today, there's a meeting in Bartram Park seeking public comment on FDOT's plans to invest $117 million to extend State Road 9B (now under construction) into St. Johns County. When complete, SR 9B will become Northeast Florida's newest interstate highway, I-795.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-sep-meeting-to-extend-i-795-into-st-johns-county-today

spuwho

Re: Meeting To Extend I-795 Into St. Johns County Today
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 05:21:07 PM »
Spending money on <insert cause here> over schools, libraries, potholes is an argument that can always be made. Seems like we just had it on the scoreboard.
This road has been on the books for a long time and this particular hearing is about work primarily in St Johns County, not Duval.

I drove the ROW for this part of 9b last month and while it is still rural, it is pretty clear that there is a connectivity requirement. With the extensive development occurring in North St Johns County, improving times between the Nocatee area and points west of the FEC will definitely happen when the dust settles.

The tie in with St Johns Parkway going south will provide a consistent corridor for Duval destinations without having to use 95.

I haven't seen the site plan below Race Track Road, hopefully they have included the needed bike and rec trails, though FDOT in this district seem to have a hard time with those kind of value adds in their planning.

tufsu1

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 08:23:14 PM »
This road has been on the books for a long time and this particular hearing is about work primarily in St Johns County, not Duval.

actually the part south/west of I-95 hasn't been on the books that long.  When the last long-range plan was done (less than 5 years ago), the extension was not deemed cost feasible by 2035.  In fact, FDOT at the time said it wouldn't be spending state/federal dollars on the part in St. Johns County.

spuwho

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 12:52:02 AM »

actually the part south/west of I-95 hasn't been on the books that long.  When the last long-range plan was done (less than 5 years ago), the extension was not deemed cost feasible by 2035.  In fact, FDOT at the time said it wouldn't be spending state/federal dollars on the part in St. Johns County.

So what changed?

Charles Hunter

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 07:08:57 AM »
Did anyone go to the meeting?