Author Topic: How Parking Spaces Are Eating Our Cities Alive  (Read 5982 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
How Parking Spaces Are Eating Our Cities Alive
« on: September 03, 2014, 11:30:02 PM »
How Parking Spaces Are Eating Our Cities Alive

A brief but effective production from Streetfilms and transportation nonprofit ITDP about how parking spaces are eating our cities alive. Is Jacksonville paying attention?

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-sep-how-parking-spaces-are-eating-our-cities-alive

I-10east

Re: How Parking Spaces Are Eating Our Cities Alive
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 11:56:57 PM »
I get that the urban surface lots are unwanted but damn, they are even against parking garages? This is VERY over to top sensationalized hippyism IMO. Just go on and deem Henry Ford Satan himself, geesh Streetfilms... They are even bashing Marina City in Chicago, a good example of what urban parking with residential should be like. There's a fine line between parking in a convenient available space (of any fashion) relying on a filthy crime-ridden hellhole of a transit system (like many in the US) and walking a 1/2 mile from the available parking space like in many big cities.  That exaggerated coughing though LOL.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:08:33 AM by I-10east »

jaxjaguar

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 12:55:33 AM »
Stopped watching after $40,000 per parking space....

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 02:21:28 AM »
Good video...was definitely not over-sensationalized.

Marina City is iconic, but not what I would consider optimal from a design standpoint.

$40K/space may not apply to Jacksonville, but does apply to many cities.
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 08:12:53 AM »
Good video. I particularly liked the part about framing the street frontage. I think they should have delved into that a bit further as everyone can see how that makes the city more attractive and usable while still providing parking.  With the advent of self driving cars the dynamic is likely to change again we need to be aware of as we design for tomorrow.  Will more people use cars if  they are more convenient? Will we need more parking for increased use or less because the car drops us off and is sent away to free parking hubs that serve cities? Will less people own cars if taxis become cheaper because there is no driver to pay?
Lenny Smash

Gamblor

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 10:52:33 AM »
relying on a filthy crime-ridden hellhole of a transit system (like many in the US)

Ever think those transit systems are in a bad state because people like yourself refuse to rely on them?

jaxlore

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 11:33:08 AM »
^
+1

I have ridden a good portion of the transit systems nyc, detroit, boston, miami and I am sorry they are not hell holes.
You want to see hell hole transit take a rural bus in india.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:36:36 AM by jaxlore »

spuwho

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 12:21:49 PM »
As it relates to Jacksonville....its all about collective will. If no one thinks vacant lots, garages and paved lots are an issue, then all the videos and screaming in the world won't mean a whole lot.

My objection is that we subsidize the garage owners in the core, especially around the sports complex.

If that dough were used to fund improved transit, then you wouldn't need as many garages.

Stop the subsidies of garages, increase core densities and use the dough to make transit sustainable.

Comes down to will.

I-10east

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 03:42:20 PM »
Ever think those transit systems are in a bad state because people like yourself refuse to rely on them?

Yup that's the answer, MORE people will get the transit authorities to care, yeah okay...

Gamblor

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 03:50:54 PM »

Yup that's the answer, MORE people will get the transit authorities to care, yeah okay...

MORE use means revenue to maintain/improve quality. Use makes it easier to influence decision makers and elites to fund assets that are need. Also diverse populations using transit means more likely build up of business around stations/junctions. I could continue...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 03:54:25 PM by Gamblor »

I-10east

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 04:02:46 PM »
^^^I use transit very sparingly, and only when I need to; Otherwise I'm mostly in my gasoline propelled car. Of course that makes me the Devil here in liberal land, whatever... It's funny that the far left always preach diversity, melting pot etc, but the minute you're not a clone of a vegan millennial transit/bike relying hipster 'you are the problem'. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 04:09:48 PM by I-10east »

Gamblor

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 04:16:41 PM »
^^^I use transit very sparingly, and only when I need to; Otherwise I'm mostly in my gasoline propelled car. Of course that makes me the Devil here in liberal land, whatever... It's funny that the far left always preach diversity, melting pot etc, but the minute you're not a clone of a vegan millennial transit/bike relying hipster 'you are the problem'.

Wasn't trying to say you're the problem or some devil. I was trying to get at the point that in many places with great transit systems, they are melting pots which propels them to higher levels. For example many of the stations in the UK you will find a diverse range of business thriving from the diverse group of people, whether that is different social groups or economic groups. Transit becomes a place where community can come face to face with one another. And lastly not to sound insulting, but if you think this is liberal land, you don't know liberal. Trust me. I spent a decade between Vermont and SF. This is no where close.

I-10east

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 04:23:34 PM »
^^^
And lastly not to sound insulting, but if you think this is liberal land, you don't know liberal. Trust me. I spent a decade between Vermont and SF. This is no where close.

I was referring to MJ not Jax. I have no problem with MJ leaning left with most issues (opposed to moderate) but it does get really extreme sometimes.

Gamblor

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 04:28:52 PM »
I was referring to MJ not Jax. I have no problem with MJ leaning left with most issues (opposed to moderate) but it does get really extreme sometimes.

I was referring to MJ.... leaning left I think is an accurate assessment. But I think it isn't too far from center with the diverse group of posters here
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 04:32:06 PM by Gamblor »

I-10east

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 04:35:58 PM »
^^^It doesn't get more liberal than that video above. Just because there's a smattering of moderates and conservatives on here, that doesn't mean that they aren't vastly overshadowed. This is for another thread and another day since I'm going way offcourse from the topic...