Author Topic: Downtown Frankenstein: 1971 Downtown Master Plan  (Read 6668 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Downtown Frankenstein: 1971 Downtown Master Plan
« on: October 13, 2006, 12:00:00 AM »
Downtown Frankenstein: 1971 Downtown Master Plan

MetroJacksonville uncovers a futuristic plan would bring a smile to the faces of George Jetson, Buck Rogers, Dr. Spock and Chewbacca.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/230

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
HOLY COW!!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 08:53:33 AM »
That was one helluva plan!  Imagine if this thing would have seen completion.  I can see why the city leaders at the time were all gaga over this thing.  I too would have probably fell for it.

The biggest thing I noticed was the structures that were still around and the absence of surface lots.  

Jim

Intersting
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 10:20:11 AM »
Had the plan went off as it was shown, it might not have been that bad but with all the factors going against it, it was doomed to fail from the beginning.  

Of ocurse waiting until 1978 to even make the first change didn't help.   7 years from plan to action is just asking for failure.

Richard Bowers

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 07:47:26 AM »
The reworking of Hemming Park was not related to the 71 plan. It came about because a small group felt there was a need for a new design and at the same time, CETA funds became available to put some people to work.  The reworking of Hemming Park was out of concern that the existing enviroment in the park was not good, the public restrooms were disgusting and not maintained and needed to be removed. Many people felt that the park as it was then was a very dangerous place to be at night and a deterrent to attracting people back to town.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 12:34:29 PM »
The configuration was altered, but the 1971 plan was the earliest planning document we could find that suggested converting the park into a concrete plaza.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jerome Howard

Where's the Photos?
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 10:20:24 PM »
I heard that this 1971 Downtown Master Plan was amazing. But I don't see any photos. Is there any way to load these photos back in so I can see what the buzz was about?

Jerome Howard

WHOA!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 01:29:46 AM »
Now I see the photos. Its a really good plan. I'm sorry to see that most of that wasn't successful. Now that more and more people are living in downtown now, I think that this plan should be resurfaced. I think they should move the proposed large retail mall along Main St. and add a couple of high rise hotel/condo towers on tall if they can.

Pissed Off Parker

Too Bad they turned everything into parking lots instead
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 05:25:30 PM »
now there are thousands of places to park, but nothing left to park in front of.

jeh1980

Re: Downtown Frankenstein: 1971 Downtown Master Plan
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 04:17:42 AM »
You all may not believe this, I as far as I see it, just about 80% of the 1971 master plan was already been accomplished. Along with the Modis Tower ( Independent Square), BB&T, the street lamps, FCCJ, Police Memorial Building and all the others we still see in dowtown, There were a lot others that we may not notice that is already been built. That proposed shopping center which they call "The Spine", that's been done. It actually turn out to be The Landing! Although the location, the look, and the height was different. The proposed convention hotel, that's been done in the form of the Omni Hotel. The Sears parking garage, that's been done...however, Sears didn't hang around long to see it come to pass. I personally would like to see Sears come back to town in the future now that we have residents living in downtown. That proposed "Block 12" parking garage was also built, though it was built on the edge of the river ( now apart of Hyatt).And the covered walkway system still exist today @ First Baptist Church. At least we know now that despite the lack of department stores (until the very near future), there were no empty promises. :D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 03:23:31 AM by jeh1980 »

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 10:50:06 PM »
That Museum and Culture facility on the waterfront might have been superior to what we got with the Landing. Imagine, a real MUSEUM in downtown today? Man! We could house pieces of brick, tile and asphalt from throughout the CBD and post pictures of the buildings we once had. We could even have a hands on display where citizens could try and match the broken tiles with the correct building photo. Ummm Fun!

All they needed to really make this development happen was a Skyway and a BRT freeway system. The whole thing could have been called a TOD by JTA and we would get unlimited operating grants from Washington. Never mind that everyone moved away, at least we would have the transportation innovations that squeeze the waste out of distribution. At least Walt Disney named part of his park after Jacksonville... Fantasyland.

Now, where did I leave that bottle of Rebel Yell?

Ocklawaha

jeh1980

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 05:08:56 AM »
Despite some of the things that may not have worked during the 1971 Master Plan, most of it did work to our advantage if you were to look @ it differentely. Despite of the negative sides, I still think that the Master Plan was the best thing that ever happened to downtown. At least 80% of the plan was completed. And most of all, we have more high rises ;) :D. Not bad 8).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 02:55:17 AM by jeh1980 »

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 10:06:11 AM »
Too bad the Convention Center wasn't moved opposite the Times Union Center as suggested in the plan.  That would have solved 2 major issues we're discussing today: the Convention Center and Transportation Center would both be where they should be....

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 11:06:10 AM »
If the convention center was not opened in Union Terminal it probably would have been torn down. So in that respect we are probably lucky it was opened there.

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 12:03:56 PM »
Heh, that is probably true.

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 08:41:21 AM »
You're kidding.  What were the plans for the property, do you know?