Author Topic: 7 Burgeoning Trends of Jacksonville Dining  (Read 3798 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
7 Burgeoning Trends of Jacksonville Dining
« on: August 18, 2014, 03:00:01 AM »
7 Burgeoning Trends of Jacksonville Dining

From EUJacksonville: When it comes to food, some trends go beyond being just “trendy.” These so-called trends actually develop and expand the fabric of our food scene into something better. Written by Jennifer Earnest AND Christopher Irvin.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-aug-7-burgeoning-trends-of-jacksonville-dining

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: 7 Burgeoning Trends of Jacksonville Dining
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 07:50:42 AM »
Great article!
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Sentient

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 09:41:46 AM »
Jax is basically 5 years (or more) behind the trends embraced in LA, Chicago and NYC.  All are welcome, make no mistake, it is just interesting to see what trickles down here...

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 10:19:27 AM »
I feel like I have been waiting years for pho noodle shops to open here.  I also got to try Maple Street Biscuit and just loved it. 

benfranklinbof

• Murray Hill Billy
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 10:35:13 AM »
Good article, I can't wait to eat/drink at the future restaurants/trucks that will be in Jax
Murray Hill Billy

tiffanyairvin

• butt burger
    • butt burger
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 06:37:43 PM »
The first photo (tacos) should be credited to Christopher Irvin and the Pho picture credited to his wife, me, Tiffany Irvin, please.
I woke up like this. #flawless

Rob68

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 07:13:27 PM »
All I know is that so many try to alter foods to fit the american pallette and thats not what im looking for..give it to us as authentic as possible..wierd veg? So what..I had an awesome taco at beach blvd flea market  El taco naco that no proper restaurant has yet to beat...yum..heat with a little pickle and juicy tender meats

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 09:34:46 PM »
I've had this article open in my browser for several weeks...finally just got around to reading it. Nice summary!

I, for one, have wanted to see some serious ramen open up in town for some time. Homemade noodles and tonkotsu broth please. If anyone has the know-how or skills to execute the food I'd love to know and would be happy to help make the restaurant side happen in any way that I can. Don't see why it can't succeed considering how people have embraced pho in this city. Yes, there is a sizable Vietnamese population. But it's definitely been accepted by a much larger demographic than that.

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 10:00:09 PM »
^
Same goes for Korean Fried Chicken. Would love to have that in Jax and would be happy to help make it happen. Especially if someone can develop a way to make it on a food truck...

coredumped

• Huge Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 11:20:04 AM »
Jax is basically 5 years (or more) behind the trends embraced in LA, Chicago and NYC.  All are welcome, make no mistake, it is just interesting to see what trickles down here...

I agree, but I also think we're 10 years ahead of Tampa and Orlando, where they have mostly chain restaurants. Jax has one of the best mom & pop selection of restaurants in the south east, certainly for a city her size she's in the top few!
Jags season ticket holder.

IrvAdams

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 08:14:32 PM »

I agree, but I also think we're 10 years ahead of Tampa and Orlando, where they have mostly chain restaurants. Jax has one of the best mom & pop selection of restaurants in the south east, certainly for a city her size she's in the top few!

Yes, agree. Whenever they do the Hole In The Wall Restaurants articles I am always surprised by some that I have never even heard of, and I've been here forever...we have a ton of restaurants in Jax. And some terrific food trucks.
“He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still”
- Lao Tzu

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 09:01:46 PM »

Yes, agree. Whenever they do the Hole In The Wall Restaurants articles I am always surprised by some that I have never even heard of, and I've been here forever...we have a ton of restaurants in Jax. And some terrific food trucks.

You can't find similar ethnic mom & pop hole in the wall restaurants in Tampa and Orlando?  I think Jacksonville's food scene is definitely underrated, and maybe it's one of the best in the SE behind NOLA/Charleston/Savannah/Birmingham/Atlanta/Nashville, but I can't imagine it's an overwhelmingly noticeable difference "down" to an Orlando like it would be an overwhelmingly noticeable difference "up" to NYC, SF, LA (which I find highly overrated based on my experiences), etc.

Our business journal had a "similar" blog piece this week, interviewed some guy who has a string of bars/daytime restaurants in downtown SF that range from 260-1,000 SF:

All your restaurants are in the SoMa and Financial District neighborhoods. SoMa-FiDi neighborhoods — what makes these spots appealing for restaurateurs?

The sheer volume of people. And I guess the life I want to make for myself — doing business during the day is what I want to do. People in FiDi are around in the day and leave by 8 pm. I also like the pace of Financial District — people sort of know the rules. They’re fast and polite, they have a time budget, and I see those as positives.

What trends are you seeing for San Francisco bars and restaurants currently?

People can’t really get enough of cocktails. That culture is here to stay. People will eat really healthy for lunch and then have several cocktails at night. It seems like there is a very aggressive “work hard, play hard” culture in San Francisco right now. Maybe because everything is more competitive than it used to be.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/2014/09/dennis-leary-san-francisco-bar-restaurant-natoma.html?page=all
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005