Author Topic: Downtown Investment Authority's Plans For Downtown Jax  (Read 3334 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Downtown Investment Authority's Plans For Downtown Jax
« on: August 14, 2014, 03:00:01 AM »
Downtown Investment Authority's Plans For Downtown Jax

If you have not spent considerable time at City Hall over the last 12 months, this is a document you've most likely never seen. Here is a full version digital copy of the Downtown Investment Authority's (DIA) recently completed Downtown Northbank and Southside Community Redevelopment Area Plan. This document is intended to guide the revitalization of Downtown Jacksonville through 2025.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-aug-downtown-investment-authoritys-plans-for-downtown-jax

Noone

Re: Downtown Investment Authority's Plans For Downtown Jax
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 06:38:58 AM »
I see River Access! Is it just a vicious rumor? This now gets sent to the full Jacksonville city council.

spuwho

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 07:35:53 AM »
Hopefully it won't get castrated through politically driven infighting or due to special interests.

The proof will be how well we stuck to the plan 3 years, 5 years and 10 years down the road when the city council has turned over.

vicupstate

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 08:58:07 AM »
It seems very through and detailed. I hope it doesn't become just another study gathering dust, like the many before it.

It would take years, even decades to implement, so whoever succeeds Brown (whether in 2015 or 2019) will need to adopt it as there own as well.   

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Kay

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 05:09:20 PM »
The hole point of having the DIA is that they operate independent of any mayor.

KenFSU

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 05:54:32 PM »
Really like the idea of creating more synergy between MOSH, Friendship Fountain, and the riverwalk by repositioning the entrance of the MOSH to face the river.

edjax

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 06:10:01 PM »
Speaking of MOSH, drove by there the other day and the lawn area between the building and the street at Prudential was knee high weeds and grass.  Pretty sad looking.  Certainly sends a message to out of towers we have pride in our city. Just never get this mentality. And yea. You can find a few bucks to mow properties such as this on an ongoing basis.

JayBird

• Back in home state - After living in Jax 10 years
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 06:57:40 PM »
The whole redevelopment from the Landing to the Old Courthouse site and turning the main street bridge into a pedestrian concourse ... wow I'm impressed. Of course, Jacksonville has never been short on great plans, but this time kind of has a good feeling of being followed through.
Proud supporter of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"Whenever I’ve been at a decision point, and there was an easy way and a hard way, the hard way always turned out to be the right way." ~Shahid Khan

http://www.facebook.com/jerzbird http://www.twitter.com/JasonBird80

vicupstate

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 08:46:58 PM »
The hole point of having the DIA is that they operate independent of any mayor.

Peyton disbanded the Downtown Development Authority that Delaney and Austin had run.  All a mayor needs is 10 votes on council and he can do anything he wants with the DIA.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

InnerCityPressure

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 09:38:51 PM »
Project: Utility Box (Budget: $12,000)
Painting electric utility/traffic boxes transforms these “necessary” utilitarian objects into works of art to
enhance the visual landscape. The main objective of this program is to initiate, promote, coordinate and
implement quality beautification projects that improve the appearance of downtown and surrounding
counties for the people who have invested their lives here and people visiting, in conjunction with citizens,
schools, community based organizations, businesses.

Yeah.  I guess this is a good idea if we want a bunch of "overheated" utility boxes!  Maybe they will bail Chip Southworth out of jail to make him the head of this initiative...

8)

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 11:18:05 PM »
Okay, I haven't had the chance to read through it as I'm 'on the road' but um... more PCT's? Oh joy! I did read the page where they mentioned other cities and their 'rubber tired trolleys' and 'light rail,' apparently these guys don't know the difference between a railroad track and a 4 lane one-way street. Please tell me I'm wrong!

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 11:26:27 AM »
Bump^^^

Where's the RAIL?

edjax

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 09:13:56 PM »
Anyone know what took place at Finance Committee today regarding the capital improvement items tied to downtown?

Charles Hunter

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 08:32:43 AM »
According to First Coast News, Lori Boyer found a bunch of errors - arithmetic, last year projects disappearing, etc. - in the CIP.  No details on whether they talked about specific projects.  The meeting recordings are on-line (scroll down a little):
http://www.coj.net/city-council/standing-committees/finance/budget-information-(1).aspx

ETA link to FCN story:
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/news/local/2014/08/15/boyer-slams-budget-inaccuracies/14137609/
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 11:55:15 AM by Charles Hunter »